Transferring Files Between Mac and XP in Bootcamp?
adpz
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Transferring Files Between Mac and XP in Bootcamp?

I'm running a new G5 in Bootcamp and am wondering if there is a way to transfer files between the two sides of the Mac without having to burn them to an external media first.

It does not appear that this is possible from the Windows side. However, on my Mac desktop I also have icons that show the portions and contents of my drives from the Windows side. The problem is that the Mac won't let me drop items into these folders - it tells me that the drive cannot be modified.

Anybody know any way around this? Much appreciated.
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

I haven't used Windows in Bootcamp, but you should be able to install MacDrive and use a Mac-formatted hard drive to transfer the files between the two systems..

I'm not familiar enough with Bootcamp to know whether it would work with an internal drive.
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

I just dragged a file into my BootCamp Windoze partition and it worked just fine. (running 10.5.5)
adpz
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatz42 View Post
I just dragged a file into my BootCamp Windoze partition and it worked just fine. (running 10.5.5)
Thank you for trying. I am going to try. On the Mac side, I can drag Windows files out of their drives onto the Mac desktop. But when I am in Windows I can't see any Mac drives/files.

As my error message is about "not being able to modify the files", I am assuming that perhaps I need to change my access in Mac so that I can reach those files.

Not sure. I'll call Apple later today. Info is much appreciated.
adpz
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

When I check permissions through Get Info on my Windows drives in OSX, I can see that they are "read-only" and there is no facility to change that. I have tried checking the "shared file" box, and turning on file sharing, but to no avail.
adpz
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

For anyone's future reference, I am not sure how the above poster was able to move files, but, apparently there is a bit of software called Mac Drive that will allow you to see and use your Mac drives while on the Windows side of Bootcamp.

Mediafour | MacDrive 7
adpz
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

That's even better! Thanks a lot man.
26th September 2008
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

I use MacDrive in windows and PARAGON NTFS in mac for full reading/writing of both...
3rd March 2010
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

I know it's kind of an old thread but it's exactly the question I have.

I'm about to Boot Camp my way into XP on my Mac Pro, and was wondering about the risks of creating a FAT32 partition to swap files between mac and windows.

Anyone have experience with this?
3rd March 2010
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

In order to use XP under Boot Camp you'll be creating a FAT32 partition anyhow (that's where XP goes.) When you boot MacOS, you'll see the partition on your desktop. Just drag files to and from it to transfer them.

As long as you don't accidentally wipe out Windows system files or somesuch, you'll be fine.
3rd March 2010
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatz42 View Post
In order to use XP under Boot Camp you'll be creating a FAT32 partition anyhow (that's where XP goes.) When you boot MacOS, you'll see the partition on your desktop. Just drag files to and from it to transfer them.

As long as you don't accidentally wipe out Windows system files or somesuch, you'll be fine.
Partially correct, yes. Initially you format the volume fat32 before the win install, but then later you can format it to the recommended NTFS. If the drive or partition is larger than 32gb you have to use ntfs...or if it's vista or windows 7.
3rd March 2010
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdsound View Post
Partially correct, yes. Initially you format the volume fat32 before the win install, but then later you can format it to the recommended NTFS. If the drive or partition is larger than 32gb you have to use ntfs...or if it's vista or windows 7.
Ah, true. There's probably reason to move off of XP now. I only use Windows for some critical one-off software, so I don't need a big partition (or W7).

If you need NTFS, MacOS can read it but cannot write it (unless you have 3rd party software) but you ought to be able to create an extra FAT32 partition that both O/S's can read and write (which was probably the point of the original question, duh.)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search