M-Audio ProFire 610 - impressed!
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxytoxine View Post
jim,

might i ask what's the lowest possible buffer size (and the resulting real world total round trip latency) you can get with the profire?
The 2626 can do 64 samples, just can't do less than 128 on PT M-Powered for the time being, Digi sez they're looking at it. My DAW machine won't be ready until next week for testing, but I bet you can get it around 3 ms @ 96KHz, which would look like about 5-6 ms @ 48KHz. Just remember that your firewire adapter is gonna have a lot to say about this. I'll check with Dad later, he'll know.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
The 2626 can do 64 samples, just can't do less than 128 on PT M-Powered for the time being, Digi sez they're looking at it. My DAW machine won't be ready until next week for testing, but I bet you can get it around 3 ms @ 96KHz, which would look like about 5-6 ms @ 48KHz. Just remember that your firewire adapter is gonna have a lot to say about this. I'll check with Dad later, he'll know.
thanks!

that's great to hear; this unit is very tempting, and i'm really happy that i don't have to shell out 1500 bucks for a fireface or similar unit to get mid-level quality wise!

cheers and stay tuned

oxy
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really hope they do because im thinking of making the switch.
30th November 2008
Old 30th November 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ryan View Post
I really hope they do because im thinking of making the switch.
Likewise. But if that buffer size hasn't come down 64 or 32, to match what a Firewire PT LE interface does in Pro Tools, it's a no go. DSP mixer or not, I *need* to monitor from the track's outputs. It's the way I did it with tape, and it has to be done the same in Pro Tools.

If not, it'll have to be an 003R 'dongle' with external conversion, or the HD system.
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear interested

Who care's if it doesn't work!!! M-Audio wake up!!!

Yes, the pres sound good, the drivers just aren't mature yet, unless you are willing to literally crash your system do not buy this thing. I bought the 2626 and it is the biggest mistake I've made in a long time.

I am not a weekend warrier, I've recorded at Ocean Way , Skywalker Sound and am Berklee Grad and a BMI recording artist, I can not mention my name but I have done my demos' for years on a Sonar System with a Presonus Firepod, and it worked just fine. I figured I would upgrade and bought a brand new everything including the best new PC, Sonar 7 etc.

From blue screen crashes to you name it it has been a NIGHTMARE!!!!

If you want a great sound keep your current interface and buy a grace 101 or a LA610 and keep your current system until MAudio gets their s##t together.
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyblue63 View Post
Yes, the pres sound good, the drivers just aren't mature yet, unless you are willing to literally crash your system do not buy this thing. I bought the 2626 and it is the biggest mistake I've made in a long time.

I am not a weekend warrier, I've recorded at Ocean Way , Skywalker Sound and am Berklee Grad and a BMI recording artist, I can not mention my name but I have done my demos' for years on a Sonar System with a Presonus Firepod, and it worked just fine. I figured I would upgrade and bought a brand new everything including the best new PC, Sonar 7 etc.

If you want a great sound keep your current interface and buy a grace 101 or a LA610 and keep your current system until MAudio gets their s##t together.

I gather you were runninig the 2626 on a Windows PC?

Are you James Bond, and sworn to secrecy?
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

The drivers on the 2626 are working correctly. Lots of people having trouble with this unit. I have tried it on my $600 Dell quad-core and it was golden. On my HP core-duo laptop it was so-so, but it has a Ricoh firewire adapter which is supposed to be taboo with the 2626, just needs some tweaking I don't have time for right now.

As I stated before, the 2626 is very, very picky about firewire adapters and the drivers for them. If you have a TI chipset in your firewire adapter and are having problems, I can get you running in short order and have already offered this help to few people. Don't come here and talk trash about the 2626 if you don't know how to set it up properly or have some terrible piece of crap firewire adapter and are too cheap to spend the $25 to get a decent one. A "GOOD" $40-50 firewire cable helps tremendously, not that $2 piece of off-shore junk you just paid $20 for at Best Buy. This is a really good unit for the $$$ and I love mine.

As is the case with most PC type computers, if you want/need the maximum performance out of one, you need to learn how to tweak 'em yourself. My $600 Dell does not have the original Vista install on it. One of the first things I did was get a new OS harddrive and re-install Vista without all the the bullshat that comes loaded on the pre-built units. If you try to run a DAW on a pre-configured PC from Dell, HP or others without doing some serious off-loading, you're just asking for trouble.
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

2626 is rock-solid, here, FWIW
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gigabyte motherboards will do the trick
seems like Apple uses them too
whinecellar
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul666 View Post
I gather you were runninig the 2626 on a Windows PC?
You beat me to it. On the Mac side, it's rock-solid. I tend to agree that it's not so much a driver issue but more of an interaction with the myriad configuration possibilities that the typical PC user has to deal with. By all means, try a TI firewire controller if you haven't already - lesser controllers are well known for causing problems with audio interfaces.

I stand by my observations - the 2626 & 610 are on par with interfaces at least twice their price, all things considered. As always, YMMV. And for the record, I have also made my living at places like Ocean Way, Skywalker Ranch, etc. ;-)

All the best,

JD
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
You beat me to it. On the Mac side, it's rock-solid. I tend to agree that it's not so much a driver issue but more of an interaction with the myriad configuration possibilities that the typical PC user has to deal with. By all means, try a TI firewire controller if you haven't already - lesser controllers are well known for causing problems with audio interfaces.

I stand by my observations - the 2626 & 610 are on par with interfaces at least twice their price, all things considered. As always, YMMV. And for the record, I have also made my living at places like Ocean Way, Skywalker Ranch, etc. ;-)

All the best,

JD
That's the difference in price between the 2. The PC requires a bit of "Sweat Equity" over the MAC which results in the lower initial outlay. If you're really good at it, you end up with a machine that offers more performance. Just like a hot-rod automobile though, the PC is more prone to blow a piston or timing chain at that level of performance.

If I told you who I wuz I'd have to kill you. I didn't go to no stinking Berkley. I went to the "University of Stax and Hi". I had the privilege of roaming these magnificent halls of sound when I was 16 and by the time I was 18 I could count among my friends & mentors: Willie Mitchell (Uncle Willie to me as my Dad was "Cuz"), Ronnie Capone, Lewis Willis, William Brown, tons of top flight songwriters/musicians/artists and I worked in one of the better mastering houses in the US at the time. My studio had a Grammy nomination and won a Billboard "Best Of" for an artist we recorded. I didn't fall off the bus just yesterday.
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Your statement about the reliability of high horsepower PCs is a personal opinion, not a fact. I'll leave it at that since we're not supposed to get into PC/Mac debates.
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Your statement about the reliability of high horsepower PCs is a personal opinion, not a fact. I'll leave it at that since we're not supposed to get into PC/Mac debates.
It's not a debate, it's an observation. I'm strictly PC here. I know that Mac folks like the level of performance they get from a Mac and the fact that it comes out of the box that way. I like a PC because I can tweak it and get that extra bit of juice from it by doing things such as memory timings , maybe a little over-clocking, disabling un-needed services in the OS, changing values in the registry. When you do these kinds of tweaks you don't really know how it will affect other aspects of the machine's performance until you try it, hence the analogy of blowing a piston or a timing chain. No debate here, I know what I like and what I can do. It all depends on the mechanic.
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
So I just got one of these installed and based on first impressions, I'm seriously, uh, impressed. M-Audio has come a LONG way - this thing sounds every bit as good as some much higher-end (i.e. WAY more expensive boxes). I've been waiting for this:

- rugged, well-made 1/2 rack interface
- Firewire bus-powered
- 8 TRS BALANCED outputs, MIDI & SPDIF
- decent zero-latency software mixer
- ANALOG output volume control

...and this this thing delivers on all fronts. The real icing on the cake is that you can configure the master out knob to control all 8 analog outputs - surround volume control anyone?!? I even like the fact that the TRS outputs are secured to the back panel with locking nuts - this thing is made to survive.

The kicker: I'm sitting here doing some level-matched critical listening, switching between this box and my RME Fireface 800 ($400 vs. $1700). I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't hear any appreciable differences - in fact, the M-Audio seems to have an ever-so-slightly wider stereo image!?!

My, how far we've come...

JD
Hey,

Just curious, what made you go out and get the the profire if you already had the RME? I only ask cause I have a presonus firestudio 26/26 and I was looking into getting the RME 800. But hell, if the profire sounds the same/better for WAY less......
4th December 2008
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not a debate, it's an observation. I'm strictly PC here. I know that Mac folks like the level of performance they get from a Mac and the fact that it comes out of the box that way. I like a PC because I can tweak it and get that extra bit of juice from it by doing things such as memory timings , maybe a little over-clocking, disabling un-needed services in the OS, changing values in the registry. When you do these kinds of tweaks you don't really know how it will affect other aspects of the machine's performance until you try it, hence the analogy of blowing a piston or a timing chain. No debate here, I know what I like and what I can do. It all depends on the mechanic.
Ok, if you're messing around with OCing, hacking the registry, memory timings etc. (your prerogative, of course) you're not just carrying out your DAW work. Your original statement kind of implied that blowing pistons or a timing chain just sorta happens in the normal course of things on a PC DAW with well-selected components. I think you know that is rarely the case or you would not be a PC guy.
whinecellar
5th December 2008
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
Hey,

Just curious, what made you go out and get the the profire if you already had the RME? I only ask cause I have a presonus firestudio 26/26 and I was looking into getting the RME 800. But hell, if the profire sounds the same/better for WAY less......
I didn't plan on replacing the FF800 in my studio - I was looking for a small bus-powered interface for mobile work (see my original post at the beginning of the thread). The 610 ended up meeting my needs perfectly - so much that I checked out the 2626 as well. The rest of the thread tells my story, and I might even sell my FF800 soon ;-)
6th December 2008
Old 6th December 2008
Gear nut

ok, i tested the profire 610 and also the fast track ultra.

the profire came down to 6 ms at 44.1 at its loweset buffer setting of 64 samples, the fast track ultra even to 4.8 ms (measured with CEntrance)! cpu use was similar, both seem to have stable drivers (as far as one night testing allows to judge this). the profire really seems to want a TI chipset.

pristine sound, nice pres (better than my older m-audio interface). maybe the profire had a tad the better converters, what is also represented by the specs. but i couldn't separate it consistently from the fast track ultra.

so i bought the fast track ultra - never ever chipset troubles, nice feature set, good sound, very portable, almost 1000 bucks saved by not buying a rme fireface.. me happy bunny :-)
13th December 2008
Old 13th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I've very tempted to swap out my 1814 and RME ADI-2 for a ProFire 2626. It's very tempting.... just not convinced the 2626 conversion is going to be able to measure up to the ADI-2.
No offense but that ADI-2 is about the worst converter I've ever heard. My 002 sounds better so do my old 888's. I couldn't believe how weak they were after hearing the hype, I've never heard the 2626 but it can't be any worse.
whinecellar
13th December 2008
Old 13th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
No offense but that ADI-2 is about the worst converter I've ever heard. My 002 sounds better so do my old 888's. I couldn't believe how weak they were after hearing the hype, I've never heard the 2626 but it can't be any worse.
Hmm... I'd REALLY be curious to know the rest of your story - i.e. monitoring chain, comparison details, results of last hearing test, etc. ;-)

Seriously, 002's and 888's sounding better than anything made after 1994? I'm guessing something's not right somewhere. Just about anything made recently should sound at least marginally better than either of those two...
16th December 2008
Old 16th December 2008
Gear maniac

I just sold a Prism orpheus, I owned a apogee ad 16x, I currently have a Mytek ad96. Anyway the ADI-2 thing was the most colored converter I may have ever heard it sounded like they were trying to copy the Apogee thing emulate analog tape but a lot less successful. You probably like it because it's like crazy warming up everything you put into it, i would call it muddy sounding but that's my opinion, if somethings working for you don't change it.

It is possible I got a defective one though I doubt it because it wasn't that bad, those m-box converters were almost as bad if not worse so I take back what I said about it being the worst.
19th December 2008
Old 19th December 2008
Profire 610 not supported for PT 8....yet

Just wanted to make a quick post regarding the Profire 610 and PT8 compatibility. The 610 is not showing up currently in the Digi PT8 compatible device grid as of today. I really hope M-Audio and Digidesign are planning on working together to make the 610 M-powered compatable. When this does happen I will definitly be updating my 1814 to a 610 for the better conversion quality I have been reading so much about. Anyone got any info on when 610 will support the new PT?
19th December 2008
Old 19th December 2008
Gear nut

We've already released a driver update for the 610 that will support PT8.

The Windows driver for XP SP3 and Vista 32 SP1 can be found here: M-AUDIO - Drivers
The Macintosh driver for 10.5.5 can be found here: M-AUDIO - Drivers

RayT
Hardware Product Manager
M-Audio/Avid
19th December 2008
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=stingray1122;3747119]We've already released a driver update for the 610 that will support PT8.

The Windows driver for XP SP3 and Vista 32 SP1 can be found here: M-AUDIO - Drivers

Ray, while I'm happy to hear the 610 is PT8 approved, is it really true that Vista 32-bit support for M-Powered 8 is only for Vista Ultimate or Business? If it is true, might this situation change?

Hope I'm not "hijacking" but this could be a real gotcha since most people have Vista Premium.
19th December 2008
Old 19th December 2008
Gear nut

Vista Premium has not been tested so it's not officially supported. Word is that it works but we can't make that statement until it's been completely tested. I don't know if this is in the works or not.

RayT
20th December 2008
Old 20th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray1122 View Post
We've already released a driver update for the 610 that will support PT8.

RayT
Hardware Product Manager
M-Audio/Avid
I stand corrected and pleased! Great to know, really looking forward to getting my hands on a 610 now that its PT compatible. M-Audio continues to raise the bar. I still have my original oxygen 8 from the midiman days!
20th December 2008
Old 20th December 2008
Lives for gear

Is the ProfireLightbridge also compatible with M-Powered 8?

Thanks
20th December 2008
Old 20th December 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico View Post
Is the ProfireLightbridge also compatible with M-Powered 8?

Thanks
has been for some time
20th December 2008
Old 20th December 2008
Gear addict

The drivers are out, but PT Mpowered 8 hasnt been released yet. Anybody know when it will?
20th December 2008
Old 20th December 2008
Gear addict

HD and LE are out, M-Powered isnt according to a few sites i checked.
21st December 2008
Old 21st December 2008
Gear interested

I am thinking of buying a new interface, and I was between the profire 610 and the focusrite saffire (I've owned one before and I liked it).

Anyone care to compare ?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search