Setting up parallel compression in Logic. How to do it.
Old 13th March 2005
Gear addict

Smile Setting up parallel compression in Logic. How to do it.

I keep reading about this technique and I would love to give it a try. How do you Logic guys generally go about setting this up? Do you have to copy alll the tracks manually and send them to a separate bus? Obviously you can send a single channel to an aux, but then you need a separate aux for every drum in the kit (unless I am mistaken). Anyway, is there an easy was to go about doing this?
Old 14th March 2005
just send it to two different busses/auxes with the sends. there you can choose up to 8 sends (or even more) of you need that.

disable the output of the track -> choose no output, not muting

within the busses/auxes you can process the track parallely different.

be careful with the phasing issue. listen thoroughly to the sound.

deft:::
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

make a copy of the track you want to parallel compress. put the effect on the second track. figure out the latency difference. slide it back in time.
Old 14th March 2005
Lives for gear

You will be interested to know that you can do this quite simply by routing all of your drums (or guitars or vocals, etc...) to an AUX channel, route the output of this to your master 2-mix bus and use a send from the AUX to another group, which is also routed to the master 2-mix bus, and has a logic compressor inserted. These native compressors have zero latency across the bus, as do the Logic Channel EQs. The send on the subgroup will control the send to the parallel comp.

If you use the copy method, press "option - shift" and drag the track to another channel. This makes the track a clone, rather than an additional track, and this will pose no addtional load on the hard drive.

If you have 'plugin compensation" selected in the preferences, you will not need to slide the track at all.

Any other methods?
Old 15th March 2005
Gear addict

Thanks for the replies.

Ive been using the "copy track" method but it would be nice to do it another way because sometimes I want to parallel compress drums from a softsampler without bouncing the midi down to audio. That way I can sort of mix while im still composing. I suppose the bus method would work, but only with plugins that induce no latency. It will be nice when Logic has full delay compensation.

Thanks again for the suggestions I will try them out.
Old 15th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe
Thanks for the replies.

Ive been using the "copy track" method but it would be nice to do it another way because sometimes I want to parallel compress drums from a softsampler without bouncing the midi down to audio. That way I can sort of mix while im still composing. I suppose the bus method would work, but only with plugins that induce no latency. It will be nice when Logic has full delay compensation.

Thanks again for the suggestions I will try them out.
If you use the AUX method, and select the send (which feeds the parallel compression) to be pre fader, you can use Logic's 'sample delay' plugin on the aux to match the 43 sample latency of a waves R-Comp when the AUX and the parallel comp are summed to your master 2-mix bus.
Make sure all of your other tracks are grouped, and that group is also delayed 43 samples.
Old 15th March 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz
just send it to two different busses/auxes with the sends. there you can choose up to 8 sends (or even more) of you need that.

disable the output of the track -> choose no output, not muting

within the busses/auxes you can process the track parallely different.

be careful with the phasing issue. listen thoroughly to the sound.

deft:::
Apprently Logic's PDC compensates for the sends too, so you shouldn't need to worry about phase issues.
Old 15th March 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky
Apprently Logic's PDC compensates for the sends too, so you shouldn't need to worry about phase issues.
i thought this doesn't work in versionss under 7.
Old 15th March 2005
Jam
Lives for gear

Logic has no PDC on busses only audio and audio instrument tracks.
However Apple have announced it will be in the next revision

Jam
Old 15th March 2005
Gear nut

This isn't bus delay compensation, it is logic ensuring that the multiple sends all arrive at their (mutiple) destinations, from the track/instrument sources, in phase. LP 6 handles this too.
Old 15th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam
Logic has no PDC on busses only audio and audio instrument tracks.
However Apple have announced it will be in the next revision

Jam
However, the Logic plugins I have tested add no latency to the bus, aux or outputs in Logic Pro 6.4.2 The turd party plugs do add latency...
Old 15th March 2005
Lives for gear

Doesnt matter about latency, different compression algorithms will impart flavours of phase distortion. Delayed or not.
Old 15th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaDeltaAudio
Doesnt matter about latency, different compression algorithms will impart flavours of phase distortion. Delayed or not.
Only a multiband will cause any phase distortion, and this is simply due to the filtering involved in the band splitting. Any straight compressor cannot affect the phase of the signal, assuming that you have a zero latency parallel chain.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search