New Reply
Subscribe
Jamz
4th March 2005
Old 4th March 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Sony Dynamics vs X on 2 buss?

There are a few new plug ins and especially bundles that are calling to me. Usually, but not always, when confronted with deciding between two plugs (actually most audio gear) I find attributes about each that demands I purchase both...at some point. My wife wants me to enter a 12 step program for this addiction.

Depending on the source material and type of music i.e. acoustic jazz trio vs hip hop I may use different 2 buss compression.
My dilemma...
Several months I had the opportunity to use the Sony Dynamics extensively at another studio. Loved it on many things. Never used it on the 2 buss. The current Sony promotion is one of the seductive bundles offered this month. It's a pretty cost effective way of getting all of their plugs as I have the Oxfored/gml already.

For those of you that have tried the Sony Dynamics or continue to use it on the 2 buss what are other plug ins you might suggest capable of the same task or perhaps prefer over the Sony plug?
4th March 2005
Old 4th March 2005
Lives for gear

Hi, I'm ruudman and I'm a gearoholic..
I've done a 12 step, and am doing fine - no, really I am!

Regarding 2-bus, there are several issues:
* Are you in need of/do you want a bus-compressor?
* Are you in need of/do you want a bus-limiter?
* Or do you want to use it as a brickwall limiter?

As a bus-comp/lim it has its fans, maybe I'm among them.
It's pretty neutral and relaxed, but can change temper when twisted. IMO, having a diplomat as Sony on the 2-bus is a safe route.

As a brickwall, there are others that do it better (though I hate
brickwall limiting in general)

McDSP's Channel G is a contender, I guess.
And if I would, I could mention Waves, but I wont

Happy huntin'

ruudman

Noma Children Hospital Sokoto
Jamz
4th March 2005
Old 4th March 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

On mixes I'm primarily talking about compression.
Sometimes I'll touch a limiter. Prefer to leave the option of squash amount in mastering phase. I always attempt to do full, warm "3 dimensional" mixes and then carve the final sound in mastering.

I purchased Channel G a few weeks ago. Colin does at great job at McDSP. Probably one of the reasons I'm questioning the need (or want) for the Sony Dynamics.

I remember the Sony capable of being aggresive and being able to push it a bit more than Channel G.
TML
4th March 2005
Old 4th March 2005
TML
Lives for gear

Tried both....the channel g is nice and works....but the Sony Dynamics...killed in every application...it gives the 2 buss some nice punch and you can hit it for that over compressed radio thing without it completely falling to pieces...The gate on the channel g doesn't work for me at all...the interfaces is not perfect........They both make great software.....
Tim
Jamz
5th March 2005
Old 5th March 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally posted by TML
Tried both....the channel g is nice and works....but the Sony Dynamics...killed in every application...Tim
I really don't recall the equalizer in the Sony.
Quote:
Originally posted by TML
it gives the 2 buss some nice punch and you can hit it for that over compressed radio thing without it completely falling to pieces.Tim
Do you feel that it does something that no other plug or set of plugs can duplicate in regards to 2 bus compression?
Quote:
Originally posted by TML
The gate on the channel g doesn't work for me at all...the interfaces is not perfect........They both make great software.....
Tim
I don't use gates on the 2 bus...what issues are you having with the interface? "Not perfect" could include a few plugs but for me no real issues at this point.
I agree they both make great software. I have a feeling that in a very gearslut manner I'll end up buying the Sony bundle even though I'm trying break this habit.
TML
5th March 2005
Old 5th March 2005
TML
Lives for gear

There is a side chain 2 band eq that works well for alot of sources....

Some of the knobs don't feel right with the mouse..I can't specify...I don't have anymore demo time on them.....

the compression is transparent...add your character later......

Is it better on 2 bus than others.....I've tried the Bomb factory...Impact....and a bunch of others on 2 buss......I think it sounds good........but if I have the time I go out board I'll mix with a hardware comp in line......

The 2 buss app gives the mix a good punch...bass bump...like a ssl 384...not as aggressive...or kinda more like the Channelstrip plug.......you can hit the Sony Plugs hard and they don't collapse....belive me...I wanted the Channel G so bad....tried the demo.....saw Feldman on the website...it just didn't work for me....cost me almost the same for the sony dynamics...without a dedicated eq......but oh well....I'm just a crazy mixing kinda guy.....Listen to everyones input...download the plugs and decide........You won't be making a terrible mistake with the channel g......but I'm really happy with the Sony Comp...Inflator and GML EQ........Do they sound as good as all my API/Neve crap...no...is it a distressor...not really........but when your trying to mix on a budget and can't get crazy going outboard...they get the job done......

I'm not a plugin fan....I hate the digital medium....mastering houses need not exist ....mix with mastering and comps on the 2 buss....do it now so you'll see what fregs are jumping out....must squash as much info as you can to get the out to a tenth of a db from zero.......seriously .....no one cares but us crazy gear freaks......I'm just waiting for the media controllers to make the cd/tape...medium extinct so we all pay for downloads...then maybe some of the filthy rich record exec's will let some of the water trickle down like Reagan originally intended....in between having their relatives who can't play or sing..put out hit singles that sound like a bad skit during the little reascals talent show.
Peace

my 2 cents.....
Tim
Jamz
5th March 2005
Old 5th March 2005
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Ruudman...you're funny! If you feel yourself slipping email me. I'll talk you through. LOL!

TML...I'm not a fan of the brick wall mixing pholiosophy either. There is a real art to using compression/limiting.

Still noy convinved I need the Sony.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search