Best daw for windows??
BlazinBeats
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Gear nut

Best daw for windows??

can someone tell me the best DAW for windows besides protools and cubase, for some reason cubase just dont sound good on my computer compared to abodbe audtion. i record teh same track in audtion and then in cubase and i can literlaly hear a differnce even when they are at the same levels so this is very strange to me, im about to try protools but if someone knows of others im going to test those as well, i heard about logic but it think its only for mac ok let me know thanks.
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Samplitude Pro v10.1

End of Discussion.

You can now download a 30 day trial version of Samplitude (formerly "Samplitude Classic") from Samplitude.com

The big thing missing from "Classic" are the fantastic plugin suites (AMtrack, AMmunition, etc)

Give it a shot.
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Gear maniac

Samplitude V10.
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

BlazinBeats.

two i recommend you check out.
1. the new RealBand >>pgmusic.com.
(also band in a box.)
they do things no other daw on the market does i understand.
can save you lots of tracking time.
as your into beats check out the real drums done by real studio musicians in various styles.
2. reaper >>>reaper.fm.
a great audio tracking multitrack software.

if you doubt me, just go to the respective links n get more user references etc.
neither use dongles.
ggg
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
ggg
Gear interested

daw 4 win

Try demos of everything. Don't miss the cakewalk products. These are fantastic products supported by a world class company and an awsome user community. Roland just invested many millions of dollars in order to have exclusive access to their daws for HW/SW combo products.

Their product for beats is Project5. Best composing, idea tool there is!

Cakewalk

ggg
rlg
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
rlg
Gear maniac

I'm surprised to hear you can't get good sounds with Cubase. I found that to be my favorite DAW in a Windows environment (I've moved to the Mac about 14 months ago). I've used Samplitude (up until version 9), and found the sound to be excellent, but ease of use was not so great, especially with MIDI. Conversely, I found Sonar to better with MIDI than audio. For a sketching tool, I actually found Mackie's Tracktion to be quite good. But ultimately, the best combination of audio, MIDI, ease of use and sound quality was Cubase. For me. Your needs and experiences may well be different.
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
cubase 4 latest version is stable.

samplitude 9 is stable.

samplitude 10 is stable.

use whatever you want. most DAWs crash because of poor pluginprogramming..
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear
Expensive option: samplitude (for me the best sounding)
Cheap option: reaper (I demo'd it and liked it alot. Reminds me of protools in someways but it sounds more open)
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBeats View Post
can someone tell me the best DAW for windows besides protools and cubase, for some reason cubase just dont sound good on my computer compared to abodbe audtion. i record teh same track in audtion and then in cubase and i can literlaly hear a differnce even when they are at the same levels so this is very strange to me, im about to try protools but if someone knows of others im going to test those as well, i heard about logic but it think its only for mac ok let me know thanks.
Really?! I'm gonna have to try that. Are you sure there are no eq's or other things going on? What are you actually recording? Is Cubase set to the same sampling rate and bit depth?

I'm not saying your crazy 'cause I noticed exactly the same when using early versions of Ableton Live in comparison to Cubase. Ableton just sounded smeary...Think they fixed that later on....
5th August 2008
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
Really?! I'm gonna have to try that. Are you sure there are no eq's or other things going on? What are you actually recording? Is Cubase set to the same sampling rate and bit depth?

I'm not saying your crazy 'cause I noticed exactly the same when using early versions of Ableton Live in comparison to Cubase. Ableton just sounded smeary...Think they fixed that later on....
Also what driver and sound card are you using?

That makes a huge difference...
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

one up on Samplitude Pro V10.1

Greg
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear maniac

Reaper!!!

Download a full working version and see for yourself.
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBeats View Post
Sonar 7 is a full 64bit pipeline that's production worthy. Reaper is kind of a
tweakers DAW right now ... think HAM radio operators. It's cool .. don't
get me wrong .. but it's an app that you have to think like a computer
scientist to love. It looks like the Sony stuff ... which I never quite
warmed to.

Personally, I run Protools for everything now .. but if I was just on
Windows, I would be using Sonar.

Now .. Reaper is on a trajectory that could have it intercept a lot of
apps out there ... i think a lot of the Reaper enthusiasts have painted
that point out mentally ;-)

jeff
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Samplitudes GUI Blows IMO as well as the MIDI
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear addict

There's plenty of choice.

There's Reaper
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Samplitudes GUI Blows IMO as well as the MIDI
Which is why there are skins...
MIDI is great, and catching up fast.

Greg
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear interested

Confused

I don't want to state the obvious but it's not a problem with the software it's a problem with the user. Therefore changing DAWs would only be a temp fix to your problems as no doubt you'll encounter the same sort of issues when you go and change a setting in your new DAW.

ProTools and Cubase are industry standard. If you already own these programs, choose which the one you prefer and learn how to use it.
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Gear interested

Man i sound like a Bi^&@#.

A DAW is simply a way of recording sound onto ur pc, manipulating it & mastering it. Here's the tip that will save you time, $$ and a whole lot of crap. Write down why ur setting up a DAW and then choose ur software. It's expensive, has a steep learning curve and you can spend hours trying to fix it. Consider cost of plug-ins virtual instruments, wrappers and so forth. Does it use generic hardware (ProTools does not!). How freely is info given out, do they have good support pages? Blah blah blah.

Oh, don't forget ur pc specs and upgrade compatabilities and so forth
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

jmarkham.
HAM operator ?
computer scientist ?
jeff, with respect i dont feel thats a fair assessment.

i was soo jaded before trying reaper as i had tried most daws on the market.
so i was highly sceptical at i think it was version one.
it downloaded n installed in a flash. i was recording in a couple of minutes.

now i think it fair to say lots of neat features have been added to reaper.
thus one must learn the new features.
but this is true of any daw app.
if the guy gets PT theres still a learning curve. ..
then within awhile he will be on the reaper forums pointing out certain limitations of it he has come across ,...like several/many posts ive seen.
PT may be used by lots of people in lalaland ,
but that doesnt mean to say its a "garden of eden".
no daw is. imho.

now i'm gonna get a ham sanwich..lol.
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Samplitude
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Sonar 7
6th August 2008
Old 6th August 2008
I migrated over to Reaper from logic. I've used cubase and sonar. Both very powerful apps. I chose reaper because it's routing is spectacular,it's 64 bit all the way through and runs the best out of any daw on quad and octo cores.Also the bundled plugs are of a high quality and the community is second to none.It's also rock solid on my system. All DAW's will get you to where you want to go.
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

I think George got it right. Plugins (& controllers) are the invisible elephant in the room. It's getting harder for host DAWs to stay stable with all the different iterations of plugin protocol. I know that Samplitude DEV has been working hard to ensure compatability.
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

wow...i didnt realise there were so many samp. lovers around.....

samplitude is my favorite windows daw.

love the programm.....
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

1. PTHD
2. Nuendo
3. Cubase/Reaper

that´s my preference

Reaper is an awesome bang for the buck.
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Guru

I'm a Sonar guy -- and I legitimately really like it -- but the fact that there are so many partisans who really like their DAW of choice seems to strongly suggest that there is no one answer that's best for everyone.

One thing you have to watch out for is that it takes a fair amount of time and work really getting to know a given DAW. On occasion you'll find someone who offers an opinion on a DAW that they may have some experience with -- and they have a sincere opinion, likely formed because of very real things -- but they may not have a full understanding of the DAW or their relative lack of familiarity may be keeping them from pursuing their work on it in the most efficient or effective manner.

In the marketplace of opinion, the axiom, caveat emptor ("let the buyer beware"), is still very good advice.
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

It's not Cubase that doesn't sound good on your system, it's the way your system is tweaked or not tweaked and/or your I/O. Sorry to be blunt. There's very little sonic difference between Cubase and Samplitude in the hands of the right engineer.

That said, I'm really a fan of the Cubase GUI. I'm not a fan of the company, though it's present alliance with Yamaha is starting to thaw out its relationship with its users somewhat (you now have communicators like Yammy's George Hamilton who has done so much on this forum in his N12 thread). GUIs are important, because if you don't like kooking at the program 12 hours a day, you might not feel like going that last little bit that gets you to greatness.

Samplitude's strengths are many. The fact it has built-in CD burning and all kinds of effects is a real plus. Sam developers are a billion times more communicative than Steinberg developers. Unfortunately, I'm really not a fan of the program's look and feel even with skins. The MIDI is definitely improving all the time. Samplitude is just really strong. I wish it lured me in more visually.

Those are the two I'm most familiar with. I use a combination of both.

Reaper is way cool in certain respects but owner Justin prioritizes sound over visuals - that's a fact, not a criticism. For price and sound it's awesome. I personally couldn't work with it, but I'm not you.

I am finally hearing good things about M Powered (Pro Tools) 7.4 for Windows. I'm going to give that a thorough workout, because I like myself as a tracking engineer, not as a mixing engineer. Most of the engineers I'd want to do final mixes for me have Pro Tools systems - the files are transferable directly. The MIDI is supposed to be actually good now which has never previously been the case. The downer might be that TDM plugins cost more than their VST counterparts.
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Sonar
e
v
e
n
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Cubase 4 or Nuendo 4
7th August 2008
Old 7th August 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

anything except for PTLE or Sonar
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search