mac blown up with hd
Old 18th January 2003
Gear addict

mac blown up with hd

has anyone had this problem...my mac g4 800 silver that is loaded with protools hd3 just stopped working the power light blinked for awhile and then just goes off..it never boots...have taken it to a mac dealer and it has been there for a week. first they said it was the processor now its the logic board..but they can't replace more than one part under warranty unless they get special permission from mac.....has anyone had this happen and what was the fix?
Old 18th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Yes, that happened to my old G4 400. I'm not sure how the motherboard got fried, but it did. I just turned it on one day and it wouldn't boot up, give me a question mark flashing in the middle of the screen, a frowning Mac icon or anything else. The power button was illuminated and the fan was blowing, but no one was home inside. I tried restarting with extensions off, zapping PRAM, even removing UW SCSI cards when I was getting desperate. My Pro Tools Mix card was in there and somehow avoided being fried, as did all of the other cards within.

I was lucky enough that the Mac was still under warranty and a replacement was shipped to me, although it took 3 1/2 weeks for everything to transpire. The contents of the internal drive were rendered unretrievable and that was the biggest loss.

I still have no idea what killed the Mac and neither did the repair shop I brought it to.

Sorry I have nothing more helpful to say. Is your's still under warranty?
Old 18th January 2003
Mac Moderator

Hi Mixer,
Yep. I've had this a few times now. For me the fix has always been the same..... open the Mac up, remove the battery and press the Motherboard reset once.. sometimes twice after trying it after one press.
It was the P-Ram getting totally screwed up.. not even the old Zapping (Alt, Apple, P and R) solved it.. only this button pressing procedure.

Can't say for sure its the case with yours, but get your Dealers techs to do a Motherboard reset, and maybe a battery change and that should solve it.

It happened to me in a Major, Major stars home studio which was no fun at all I promise you.. thank god for the Motherboard button lol

Note: theres no Motherboard reset button on the Mirror Door G4's.. only the Reset-all command in open firmware...

Al.
Old 18th January 2003
Gear addict

thanks, did all of that before i took it in..it is under warranty...but the authorized center says apple now requires reports before shipping parts...and they no longer replace computers...may just have to buy a new one....there is a known problem with the g4 800 processer but unfortunatly it didn't solve my problem...seems the biggest hassle is apples new service policies..it takes forever for replacement parts.
Old 21st January 2003
Gear addict

follow up...the problem was the logic board..they finally replaced it..and all is well....nobody knows why it failed but it was completely fried....and in turn fried the processor....thanks for the replies....gary
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search