Will SDII files play on a PC?
Old 5th December 2004
Lives for gear

Will SDII files play on a PC?

Hi ,

Im trying to play SDII data files on a PC, anyway I can do it?
Is there a software that converts it or do I have to get it 'waved' on the Mac before a PC play?

Cheers

mac
Old 5th December 2004
I've converted SDII files on a PC using Wavelab. If you open them as RAW data and specify the right options in the dialog box, that works.

However, I recently downloaded a free program that I haven't had a chance to try out yet called SDtwoWav which will batch convert SDII files to Broadcast wave files. It's free:
http://www.railjonrogut.com/sdTwoWav.htm

Steve
Old 5th December 2004
Motown legend

I recently noticed that PC Pro Tools will convert SD2 files provided it's on a Mac disk and provided you are running MacOpener or MacDrive. I've had trouble with SDtwoWav when the SD2 files originated in older versions of Sound Designer, PT or digital Performer.

Apple has made it clear that even THEY aren't going to support using SD2 files on future Mac disc formats so it's a good idea for people to convert anything they consider important to .wav or .aiff. Apple has been warning people about this since system 8!
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I recently noticed that PC Pro Tools will convert SD2 files provided it's on a Mac disk and provided you are running MacOpener or MacDrive. I've had trouble with SDtwoWav when the SD2 files originated in older versions of Sound Designer, PT or digital Performer.

Apple has made it clear that even THEY aren't going to support using SD2 files on future Mac disc formats so it's a good idea for people to convert anything they consider important to .wav or .aiff. Apple has been warning people about this since system 8!
omg, all my files are SDII ...thanks for this, must get used to working with wav. (all those years of SDII files...)
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictech
However, I recently downloaded a free program that I haven't had a chance to try out yet called SDtwoWav which will batch convert SDII files to Broadcast wave files. It's free:
http://www.railjonrogut.com/sdTwoWav.htm

Steve
thanks for the heads up. i actually used SDTwoWav last night to convert some altiverb impulse responses from free ir sites. i had "flip bytes" unchecked and it worked a treat.

fwiw, i was really impressed with the waves ir1. it sounded bigger and more 3d than similar ir's from other libraries. the altiverb ir's sounded good too - i just wish they made a pc version. the biggest disappointment was the space designer ir's - sounded yucky and filtered, imo.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

Sound Forge 8 says it'll open Sound Designer *.sd and *.dig files. Although, of course, SF isn't a multitracker.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
I've had trouble with SDtwoWav when the SD2 files originated in older versions of Sound Designer, PT or digital Performer.
If possible could you supply me with an example sd2 file (stuffed) to see what 's up. Is this with the most recent version of sdTwoWav?

Thanks

Rail
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
Wow that's news to me. I have to go back and reopen sessions that are sometimes very old. I had to open 3 sessions from 1998 in the past few weeks. Digi will have to address this issue if it does happen. If Apple changes there drive formatting system again it will have to be backwars compatable otherwise a lot of cutomers (not just PT users) will be very unhappy not being able to open there old data. This is the first I have heard of that I will for sure look into it.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear addict

I've always been able to convert SD2 files with Sound Forge, since long long ago actually. You need to bring them in as RAW data type and choose the correct sample rate, bit depth, etc...
Old 7th October 2005
Lives for gear

I would highly recommend you contact Rail John . I think he may have the answer to your question/problem.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search