New Reply
Subscribe
slaphappygarry
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

Waves Demo Plug ins Mess

Hey all,

I recently downloaded the legit demo version for the waves masters onto the same iloc key as my Native Power Pack.

<i should have read the small print>

Now neither are working. Is there anyway to sort this? I have emailed their web support but hoped you guys with your infinite knowledge would be able to help me out.

I want the demo installer to go away from my iloc and the NPP to start working again.

Cheers

Garry
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappygarry View Post
Hey all,

I recently downloaded the legit demo version for the waves masters onto the same iloc key as my Native Power Pack.

[I]<i should have read the small print>
What small print?

Where does it say that demo licenses and purchased ones cannot live on the same iLok?

~ peace ~
Tui
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Tui
Lives for gear

I think the demo nuked his already installed Waves bundle... Garry, I feel for you. If you have WUP, you should get some help from Waves. If not...

fuuck Waves.stike
slaphappygarry
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

In the demo section of their site:

Quote:

[top]Technical Note

Only one demonstration period is available per computer for each of the bundles above.
Computers that have already run the demo for any of the bundles above, or computers that are authorized for any of the bundles above, will not be able to run the demos.
For this reason, we recommend that you demo the Diamond Bundle, which includes most Waves processors.

Now my plugs are dead. BTW - intel mac. 10.4.11 and running PTS 7.4

G
slaphappygarry
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the demo nuked his already installed Waves bundle... Garry, I feel for you. If you have WUP, you should get some help from Waves. If not...
Its run out. I just renewed it but this process is a bit of a mess too. I need to go a third party dealer to make this upgrade happen.

What a mess.

G
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the demo section of their site:

Now my plugs are dead. BTW - intel mac. 10.4.11 and running PTS 7.4

G
Hmm... still confused. It talks about not being able to run demos - not that demos will cripple purchased plugs if loaded onto the same iLok.

Yeah, you should get onto Waves and report back about how they treat you.
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Gear Guru

Be sure that the demo didn't hose the iLok driver. I've had that happen before. Uninstall and reinstall the iLok driver (from the iLok web site) and see if that straightens it out. The bundles seem to load the driver even if it's already loaded sometimes, and once it created the driver up and all of my Waves plugs came up unlicensed. After some head scratching I just removed and reinstalled the iLok driver and it was happy again.

They really do need to get their crap together on this. I don't begrudge them the protection of their huge investment in software development. But it should really work better. I assume that they have been going through some tortuous conversion from their own copy protection scheme to an iLok one and it's not been a very smooth transition, though I could be wrong about that. They need to bite the bullet and just transition over completely to the standard iLok support and be done with it.

Be a control freak!
Tui
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Tui
Lives for gear

I seem to remember that their demos routinely install *outdated* iLok drivers. I think one can bypass that step during installation, but most people probably wouldn't know about that.

Waves are such f*ckers.... Greedy and incompetent.
30th June 2008
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

They really do need to get their crap together on this. I don't begrudge them the protection of their huge investment in software development. But it should really work better.
+1

Quote:
I assume that they have been going through some tortuous conversion from their own copy protection scheme to an iLok one and it's not been a very smooth transition, though....
Think they are in the process of changing their somewhat intimidating, exhaustive and rather convoluted authorisation process. Though I could be wrong too.
1st July 2008
Old 1st July 2008
Gear interested

Waves makes great plugs but the authorization and demo gong show is a nightmare.
I actually had to contact tech support three times to authorize software I had purchased.
I don't mind paying wup to support them but they really should get their shit together and get things running smoothly. What do they do with all the WUP money anyway?
The piracy protection is so good you can't even use the software.
Tui
1st July 2008
Old 1st July 2008
Tui
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuzushi View Post
What do they do with all the WUP money anyway?
The piracy protection is so good you can't even use the software.
I guess the managers need the cash to fund a lavish lifestyle. As for the piracy protection, it doesn't work at all. That's the whole point: It doesn't work.
1st July 2008
Old 1st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I guess the managers need the cash to fund a lavish lifestyle. As for the piracy protection, it doesn't work at all. That's the whole point: It doesn't work.
This is the sad irony about the Waves plugs and their piracy strategy - that legit users have to jump through so many hoops...backwards. tutt
1st July 2008
Old 1st July 2008
Lives for gear

what do you see on ilo.com when you synchronise the ilok. it should tell yu what licenses you have and what their status is, i.e. permanent, demo, etc.
slaphappygarry
1st July 2008
Old 1st July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
what do you see on ilo.com when you synchronise the ilok. it should tell yu what licenses you have and what their status is, i.e. permanent, demo, etc.
Hey,

There is the demo one there for the demo. Expires on Monday. Waves have just authorised my drivers so with a bit of luck it oughta be ok.

Quote:
I seem to remember that their demos routinely install *outdated* iLok drivers. I think one can bypass that step during installation, but most people probably wouldn't know about that.

Waves are such f*ckers.... Greedy and incompetent.
So far this is my own fault. I should have had a propper read of the READ THIS STUFF bit. So far communications have been excellent and very informative.

Garry
slaphappygarry
1st July 2008
Old 1st July 2008
Lives for gear

Plugs back up and running.

The waves team were very quick, efficient and really sorted it out propperly.

Within 12 hours of ME messing it up they got me back online.

Garry
2nd July 2008
Old 2nd July 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Plugs back up and running.

The waves team were very quick, efficient and really sorted it out propperly.

Within 12 hours of ME messing it up they got me back online.

Garry
The nice thing is they are helpful but a lot of times it is not user error and there are bugs in the authorization system that they should be fixing instead of having all night WUP parties on the beach.
Tui
2nd July 2008
Old 2nd July 2008
Tui
Lives for gear

I guess they are laughing all the way to the bank, grateful for every customer who blames himself when he stumbles over Waves' crippleware.
2nd July 2008
Old 2nd July 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I guess they are laughing all the way to the bank, grateful for every customer who blames himself when he stumbles over Waves' crippleware.
Kind of like when Dick Cheney shot his friend while hunting and his friend then apologized for being in the way of the gunfire. Just brilliant.
Waves are very clever. I even thanked them for making me click on use license card and not use license card over and over again to try to authorize my plugs. I thanked them again when I had to use some else's computer to finally authorize the plugs.
God I love Waves.

Last edited by matsuzushi; 2nd July 2008 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: I can't spell very well will drinking cold Guinness
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search