New Reply
Subscribe
new for old
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008
Gear interested

Using MTC to sync new PT to old PT?!

Hi All

I am trying to sync a 003 Pro Tools 7 rig with an old school 001 rig. I have tried using MTC but i don't know if I have assigned everything to the correct place. I added a new item in the Audio Midi Setup for the slave unit but I don't know if I have the settings correct.

Should I be using S/PDIF instead?

I should also say the reason I want to run the 001 is for the amount of plug-ins that I have which I cannot completely replace on the new system.... yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
you need to put the slave rig online - have you done that? the clock icon on the transport..

SPDIF can be used to clock the 2 rigs together, and to transfer audio from one to the other, but not for positional sync.
new for old
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008
Gear interested

I have put on the "online" icon but it still doesn't work. There must be something I'm still doing wrong in the setup.

What is the difference between clocking and positional reference? All i want is to hit record on one and have them both record and/or play together.

Cheers
5th June 2008
Old 5th June 2008

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
clocking is needed for digital sync - when you're transferring data digitally, both systems need to be in sync so their samples match up. imagine two people tapping on a desk together...they need to tap at the same rate if you want a clean "hit". Bad analogy but you get the idea.

Positional sync tells you where you are in the song - refers to bars/beats, or time code or whatever.

If you're transferring analogue, you just need positional sync to do what you want to do. If you're transferring digitally, you need both positional AND digital sync.

Unfortunately, none of that helps with what you're doing wrong. If you can post screen grabs of where you're doing the settings, I might be able to help further.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search