RME Fireface 800 vs. MOTU 828mkII
Old 17th August 2004
Gear interested

RME Fireface 800 vs. MOTU 828mkII

I am interested in upgrading my audio interface from my current M-Audio Delta 66 to a firewire unit. I need extra inputs and hope I’ll get an improvement in A/D converters. I’m looking at the MOTU 828mkII and the RME Fireface 800. Can anyone comment on these two units?

The RME is new so I know there won’t be many people with firsthand experience, but they have a solid reputation for converters (the 800 has the same converters as ADI-8) and drivers. It also has 4 pres, which could come in handy for extras. The downside is a street price of about $1450.

The 828 seems to get mixed opinions, but some people love it MOTU support is said to be horrible. The upside is a lower street price of about $750.

Would the converters on the Fireface make it worth the price difference? Are there any other things to consider?

Thanks,
UnderTheGroove

BTW - This is all for a mid level project studio. I’m getting a new computer soon for audio use running Sonar 3. I have a Great River MP2NV and Presonus MP20 for pres, so the pre quality of the interfaces is a minor consideration. I’m using Event 20/20bas monitors. I want firewire so I can eventually do some location recording with a laptop.
Old 17th August 2004
Head of Bumping Security (B.S)

I am waiting for the Fireface perhaps, unless I sell my Mytek A/D's in favor of the Apogee AD-16X, which has Firewire 800. The RME has Firewire 800, the MOTU does not (AFAIK).

W/ Firewire 800, you can get much faster drive throughput, as long as you are using a Firewire 800 interface and drive of course (duh).

So the RME looks way better than the MOTU to me. But the Apogee w/ Firewire card would be another option. It's only A/D of course, unless you get both boxes.
Old 24th August 2004
Gear nut

Quote:
but they have a solid reputation for converters
and drivers, and awesome software interfaces (like like level graphs and other audio analyzing tools), and EXCELLENT support for their products...oh, AND low latency, AND they design their hardware for so many different combinations of I/O methods it's truly like a swiss-army knife audio solution. I was in a simliar situation like you over a year ago and the RME Multiface was a little pricey for me, but so many pros with solid reputations kept recommending I save up and get it. I did and have been EXTREMELY happy with it . People have been hearing roughly mixed tracks and saying.."wow that sounds really pro."

Okay, I don't work for RME, but I'm extremely satisfied and highly recommend them. I'm actually considering upgrading to the RME fireface to easily record a few more than 8 tracks simultaneously. Also, if your computer doesn't support firewire 800 you can always get a compatible firewire 800 PCI card to take advantage of all that bandwidth.

Lastly, my RME Multiface simply works...no driver issues or major problems/incompatibilities of any sorts. This is the way it's meant to be:

1. plug your stuff in
2. record
3. enjoy

i might also add, i like the "cool" look of their software mixers and even they're hardware e.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search