Cleaning flat screen LED computer monitor
New Reply
Subscribe
Mike Jasper
11th December 2002
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

Cleaning flat screen LED computer monitor

Here's my candidate for mundane post of the year, but I couldn't find the answer at the Apple Web site.

Anybody know the proper way to clean the surface of a flat screen LED monitor? I suspect the old methods might not be advised.

Thanks,

Jasper
11th December 2002
Old 11th December 2002
Can't stop buying gear...

My Recordings/Credits

11th December 2002
Old 11th December 2002
Gear addict

This is from apples' site... I just use the gray cloth that came with the display. I've got a client who has to touch the display all the time who I'd like to slap... but I digress...

To clean the LCD:
1. Turn off the computer or display. You may need to turn off the computer in order to turn off some Apple displays.

2. Dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only.

3. Wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.

You may also use a mild glass cleaner that contains no alcohol or ammonia. Most office supply stores sell cleaning kits specifically designed for this purpose.

While there are many commercial products available that will work without damaging the plastics, Apple has tested a product called Klear Screen made by Meridrew Enterprises (http://www.klearscreen.com) and found it does not cause any harm to the plastics. This product may not be available worldwide.
Mike Jasper
11th December 2002
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks, guys. I had a hunch the old ways wouldn't work and I guess I didn't search Apple's site well enough.

I'll check out the link.

Jasper
PS -- Funny. As pedistrian as this post is, it's one of the few where you can find a right answer as opposed to a subjective opinion. Heh.
11th December 2002
Old 11th December 2002
Gear addict

Go to a photo supply shop and get an item they call a lens cloth. Made for cleaning high dollar camera lenses without screwing up the coating. The big bonus is they work great on LCD displays, been using one for years and fairly cheap too. (3 to 5 dollars I think) Also great for glasses. TommyD
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search