Elastic Audio - Drum Transients?
stresstour
31st December 2007
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

Elastic Audio - Drum Transients?

Is it my imagination playing tricks on me or does the EA soften the transients a little after you have quantized the drums.

Anybody else notice a difference?

btw - I am speaking of multi-tracked real drums.

thx
31st December 2007
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

stresstour
31st December 2007
Old 31st December 2007
Lives for gear

31st December 2007
Old 31st December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresstour View Post
Is it my imagination playing tricks on me or does the EA soften the transients a little after you have quantized the drums.

Anybody else notice a difference?

btw - I am speaking of multi-tracked real drums.

thx
The Rhythmic mode will absolutely preserve the transient just after an Analysis Marker. I believe it works as a ratio of the distance to the next marker. I've checked this and there is total phase cancellation with an original unstretched copy for a bit after the marker. The first bit is not changed preserving the transient and then the Rhythmic Algorithm fades into TCE mode. The Monophonic and Polyphonic modes use constant TCE mode so there could be some transient smearing if you choose to use those Algorithms. With the Rhythmic mode you will hear the transition on open cymbal crashes into breaks or at the end of the song, so you might want to use unstretched audio there. There is a case to be made that cymbals sound better with the Polyphonic Algorithm because of the lack of the crossfade artifact, but experience has taught me that Rhythmic sounds great 99% of the time on multi-track drums.

STeve
stresstour
1st January 2008
Old 1st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacMillan View Post
The Rhythmic mode will absolutely preserve the transient just after an Analysis Marker. I believe it works as a ratio of the distance to the next marker. I've checked this and there is total phase cancellation with an original unstretched copy for a bit after the marker. The first bit is not changed preserving the transient and then the Rhythmic Algorithm fades into TCE mode. The Monophonic and Polyphonic modes use constant TCE mode so there could be some transient smearing if you choose to use those Algorithms. With the Rhythmic mode you will hear the transition on open cymbal crashes into breaks or at the end of the song, so you might want to use unstretched audio there. There is a case to be made that cymbals sound better with the Polyphonic Algorithm because of the lack of the crossfade artifact, but experience has taught me that Rhythmic sounds great 99% of the time on multi-track drums.

STeve
Thx Steve. I have been messing with it some more and I think I have discovered what you have just suggested.

One question though. After your done with the quantizing, do you conform to tempo or just leave it alone. Oh and also, do you keep the tracks in realtime mode or do you render them?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search