Altiverb vs. Space Designer? (Logic 8)
New Reply
Subscribe
6strings
28th December 2007
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Altiverb vs. Space Designer? (Logic 8)

I know Altiverb probably has more variety and the overall edge in quality, but can anyone directly compare how the (new?) Sound Designer IRs compare to similar ones in Altiverb?

Thanks.

PS. I mostly use IR files of nice studio room and halls. (currently using Altiverb 4 with Cubase)
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

I think Altiverb 6 sounds much wider, deeper and overall more "real" than the L8 Space designer. SD allows a lot more "space designing" and special FX with it's filter, Envelope, and EQ. The Space Designer HD IR's are good but the Audio Ease IR's are the best.
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

check out breverb!!!!!!!!!
anyhow, SD is not a true streo IR reverb. Check older threads for verification. I did extensive testing and went with Breverb. But, I admit that I am anti-convo reverb, I prefer algo based reverbs.

With that said, I got a bunch of IRs from an old Emagic sponsor that was given to him from emagic back in the day and all I can say is that those IRs make SD sound a thousand times better than before.

PS
I downloaded a bunch IRs and they did not compare to his.
6strings
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft View Post
Screw Altiverb, check out breverb!!!!!!!!!
anyhow, SD is not a true streo IR reverb. Check older threads for verification. [clip]
Witht hat said, I got a bunch of IRs from an old Emagic sponsor that was given to him from emagic back in the day
Thanks, but I'm wondering about the NEW Space Designer IRs in comparison.

Anyone else have a chance to compare Altiverb w/ SD's newer files release this Fall?
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

' '
cant u load your own IRs in altiverb?

cause u can in SD.

not only reverb IR but ANY audio file. making ot great for creating ambient pads and eeire sounds. as well as whatever convolution.
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

I own and use both quite regularly - I'd say generally at least one to three instances of both in nearly every session. For vocals I'll use the plates in Altiverb every time - its not that Space Designer isn't good enough to use in that capacity, just that, I've tried Altiverb,TL Space Native (PT LE) and Space Designer and for emulating plates, I just like the Altiverb everytime. I'll use Space Designer on the snare a lot, simply cause I find there to be more IRs in Space Designer that work well in that capacity (on snares and on drums in general) - blending in nicely with the real room mics and the kit overall not sounding unnatural or out of place. I believe you can always import your own IR's so that's not as much of an issue and they're both great as plug-ins, but I'd say the real advantage of Altiverb seems to be in the ability to place the "source" in the stereo field, whereas Space Designer (at least in stereo mode) is pretty much straight up mono-to-stereo or stereo-to-stereo in the placement of the "source" if that makes sense? If you're doing a lot of string stuff I suppose this would be very important, and generally I'll use Altiverb on guitars for the same reason - it allows for a sense of space and dimension that keep it from sounding too much like a reverb emulating a room and more like an actual room. But overall, I can't say one is more crucial to my workflow than the other, unless of course I'm mixing outside of Logic.

If the question is whether Logic 8 or Altiverb is a better investment, it depends on your needs, but I'd probably go with Logic 8 - it's no PT killer (if you have any kind of Pro Tools, keep it - it's still the best for audio editing) but for mixing natively, it's got insane bang for buck and Space Designer will more than do the job for a lot. If you're not doing any Surround mixes in the near future, you could always just get Logic 8 Express and Altiverb, since the new Logic Express is pretty much a full version of Logic Pro sans Space Designer, Delay Designer, Surround Capabilities and I think it may not have some of the VIs (don't know which ones off the top of my head). That path allows you most of the features of full Logic Pro (plug-in delay compensation, no track limits, good-to-great stock plug-ins) for a couple hundred bucks more than Altiverb alone, plus it gives you an upgrade path to Logic Pro should you really like it. Anyhow, sorry for the ramble - hope something in there helps! Good luck.
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Audio Alchemist

Space Designer is a nice little fun tool but no real reverb IMO.

TL Space, Altiverb, etc. are much better.

I'm not a huge fan of convolution so I use CSR (in the box) instead or an M3000 (hardware).

Online Mastering.dk

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Gear maniac

Switchcraft. What do you like best? Apples or pears?
TC5
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
TC5
Lives for gear

Anyone have a good source for the best IRs out there for Space Designer? Did a Google search didn't come up with anything. Perhaps some IRs from Abbey Road studio 2 for instance?
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Abbey does not allow sampling their rooms (yet) Maybe they want to come up with a plug themselves. (Also Wagners ballpark is a no-go...)
6strings
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
I own and use both quite regularly....
Thanks for the extensive reply, Dubnick. I don't really crave for the stereo placement and extra "knobs/features" in v6... I mainly like how realistic the convo reverbs sound in Altiverb (I have a UAD-1 card for the "color" verbs)

Another big appeal to me is the no-dongle/copy-protection scheme of Logic Studio. As I said, I'm on Altiverb v4 which allows two installations, but when I upgrade my computers I'll have to pick between only one installation or using (another) dongle. (please, no debate on dongles here) With v6, Audioease also stripped out some functions from their non-TDM version which is a minus for Altiverb as well...

Anyway, coming up on computer upgrades and trying to shed the dongle and trim the budget so thanks for the replies all!
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Thanks for the extensive reply, Dubnick. I don't really crave for the stereo placement and extra "knobs/features" in v6... I mainly like how realistic the convo reverbs sound in Altiverb (I have a UAD-1 card for the "color" verbs)

Another big appeal to me is the no-dongle/copy-protection scheme of Logic Studio. As I said, I'm on Altiverb v4 which allows two installations, but when I upgrade my computers I'll have to pick between only one installation or using (another) dongle. (please, no debate on dongles here) With v6, Audioease also stripped out some functions from their non-TDM version which is a minus for Altiverb as well...

Anyway, coming up on computer upgrades and trying to shed the dongle and trim the budget so thanks for the replies all!
Doh! I'm an idiot - I didn't even see that you said you already own Altiverb 4! To be honest, if the upgrade price is reasonable, I wouldn't hesitate on upgrading Altiverb, regardless of whether you decided to try Logic 8 or not. If you are doing a lot of surround mixes with Altiverb now, I could see how the changes would be negative, but otherwise it's the same plug as always. As far as iLok goes, to be honest, I kind of like it for convenience sake and while I've heard nightmares about the syncrosoft keys, I haven't run into any problems with my iLoks or even the Logic 7 key (I still keep 7 on the computer, should I need it). If you have a limited budget and you already own Altiverb 4, you're in a good position regardless. If you don't need all the VI's, Surround capabilities or Delay & Space Designer, picking up Logic 8 Express and the Altiverb upgrade might be a good inexpensive path - you can try Logic on for size and you'll still have Altiverb to offset the lack of Space Designer. However, if you're doing a ton of electronic based stuff and/or need surround, you'll probably find Space Designer able to do the job in place of Altiverb for most tasks, should you choose to spend the money on Logic Studio alone. Good luck - sorry for the rambling responses!
6strings
29th December 2007
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
...However, if you're doing a ton of electronic based stuff and/or need surround, you'll probably find Space Designer able to do the job in place of Altiverb for most tasks, should you choose to spend the money on Logic Studio alone. Good luck - sorry for the rambling responses!
No rambling perceived... just valuable insight. Thanks again!

I am starting to dabble with surround so I want to keep that capability. The no-dongle aspect along with Space Designer and Delay Designer (sounds like a fun tool) are a definite draw to Logic 8. I guess $500 is worth checking out. (Will wait till 08 to use as a write-off for next year's taxes though)

Quote:
you'll probably find Space Designer able to do the job in place of Altiverb for most tasks
Exactly what I was wondering.
30th December 2007
Old 30th December 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknosmoker
I wish Space Designer sounded as good as Altiverb, as it would have saved me some cash. Had Altiverb for OS 9 and figured that Space Designer would replace it. I just upgraded to Altiverb 6 and use it on every mix. Sounds MUCH better than Space Designer for most purposes IMO. Space Designer is good for more bizarre sound design/SFX kinda' stuff, but not great for realistic reverb.

BTW - Alongside Logic 8, I've got a PCM91, DSP7000, T.C. FireworX and an old Ensoniq DP/4+.

-T
30th December 2007
Old 30th December 2007
Gear Head

I know the question was about ir reverbs and i've tried 'em all altiverb is good but i much prefer the tc powercore reverbs just great sounds and easy to programme.

Paddo
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search