Best RAID configuration
New Reply
Subscribe
amino
12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Best RAID configuration

Parts for my new DAW computer are on their way, but I can't decide how to configure my hard drives. What I know is that I will get four 320 GB Samsung SATAII disks and a HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 4-port RAID card. Mirroring for the audio drive (RAID 1, 5, 10 etc) is a must for me. I have had too many crashes in my life...too many IBM drives...

Which configuration is best:

1. Disk 1 for System (non-RAID), and disk 2-4 for audio (RAID 5)

2. Disk 1-4 (RAID 5) for both system and audio (separate partitions)

Or maybe I should go for one big RAID 10-configuration? Or two separate RAID 1 configurations (if supported by the RAID card)?

Hmm.....
12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

I would get one more HD as a system drive and then set up the 4 drives you mention as RAID 10.

For less than $100, you could get a ~250 system drive on the mainboard controller and be way ahead of the game. Free the RAID controller and drives for only audio.

RAID 5 on that controller will not be great for audio, especially recording.
12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go for that.

In fact I already have an available 120 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 PATA disk, and since it will be the only drive on the IDE channel (the DVD is on SATA) I could just as well use it as a system drive.

I've been a bit sceptical about RAID 5 all the time, but since I decided to skip the typical ICH9R controller on the mainboard and get a dedicated controller instead I thought it would be OK. Is RAID 5 really ever a good idea? Disks are cheap today and my common sense tells me that RAID 10 must be considerably faster...
12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

As cheap per GB as disk space is, RAID 10 all the way for me.

There's little to no hit in performance even if you lose a drive. Replace and rebuild ASAP, but no need to bring a session to a screeching halt, even if a drive dies.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search