Login / Register

Midi - use your computer USB ports ..or us a dedicated Midi Box?... which is better?
New Reply
Subscribe
activexjava
6th December 2007
Old 6th December 2007
Gear maniac

Cool Midi - use your computer USB ports ..or us a dedicated Midi Box?... which is better?

Hi guys ...

I have alots of devices that transmits midi through its built-in USB port to connect to my PC .. (and I am using it that way for the moment) .. my Fantom X6 keyboad .. a number of modules ..etc..

and due to the shortage of USB ports I am even using a USB Hub to multiplex these devices into a single USB port ...

just wondering if there is ANY advantage of using a dedicated Midi box?..

such as the MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV 8x8 unit?... it uses one USB port for all the 8 midi In devices ... but is that any better than using a dedicatedUSB port for each midi device (or going through a usb hub)?

would I get a more stable midi connection by using the MOTU 8x8

Thanks
John
6th December 2007
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

I only need one midi in/out and was wondering the same thing. I have usb drives left though.
cam
6th December 2007
Old 6th December 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to andyspiller
I have always used Multi-channel midi devices since their inception and it is my preferred option, as although there are timing anomalies, you get used to them and know the solutions for your system. The MTP used to be a bit flaky but that was in the days of LPT connection - I hope it's much better now - for my purposes I sync via 828 MkII and then let the system timestamp sort out the rest and adjust if I have to.
activexjava
6th December 2007
Old 6th December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
I have always used Multi-channel midi devices since their inception and it is my preferred option, as although there are timing anomalies, you get used to them and know the solutions for your system. The MTP used to be a bit flaky but that was in the days of LPT connection - I hope it's much better now - for my purposes I sync via 828 MkII and then let the system timestamp sort out the rest and adjust if I have to.
if I have 3 sound modules .. with each sound module has its own USB driver..

if I am playing midi tracks : 16 channel from each module .. all at the same time ... could I be getting timing issues?.. if I am going through my PC USB ports?.. humm ... .. well in theory .. you will be using 3 USB drivers (one for each sound module) .. as compared to only one (that of the MOTU Midi 8x8)....
6th December 2007
Old 6th December 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to andyspiller
Of course, but once you use the module in multitimbral mode you will be dealing with the latency of the processor, how the internal software handles lots of midi data, how well and consistent the sample start points are. and so on ad infinitum (this can be quite critical. . . .)

Midi is very clunky and it's a pain having lots of cables but for me it works. I was doing some development work recently and had the opportunity to use the internal USB - frankly it was unreliable, slow and inaccurate and I gave up after 5 minutes and switched back to Midi In . Its predictable and at least there is only one main point of timing contention, coming out of one port, but what ever you choose to do, enjoy. . . . . .
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search