macbook vs macbook pro
New Reply
Subscribe
buschfsu
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Gear maniac

macbook vs macbook pro

im trying to justify the thousand dollar difference. i will probably use an external monitor when mixing so 2 more inches of monitor space isn't killing me. hardware wise i could only finda fw800 and pc card port as differences. they both max at 4gb ram????? am i missing something??? internal bus speed??

thanks
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

that port means you could use external esata drives ! almost worthit IMHO getting the audio off the internal drive or FW bus!

I feel like I should make the pissed smiley my Avitar

Eric Nelson
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Performance wise there is little difference. Choose the one that best suits what you do.
20th November 2007
Old 20th November 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
Performance wise there is little difference. Choose the one that best suits what you do.
There are important differences. The MBP has a better bus and is more efficient and handling multiple tasks. Additionally, the video card in the MBP has its own processor, so you won't be sapping from your ram when using an additional monitor, although I believe the new video card in the most recent MacBook updates makes this less of an issue. I think the best solution would be this (also what I am planning on doing)

1) Buy the 2.2 MacBook with 1 gig ram
2) Go to MacSales and buy 4gigs for the MacBook for $150 instead of $850 through Apple
3) Use the $1000 you saved to build yourself a quadcore DAW for home use, and use the macbook as a portable unit with the quad DAW as your main mixing machine. I think that is the most convenient and efficient use of your $$$.
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Gear nut

There is very little performance difference between the MB and MBPro, especially the new macbook revision.

The shared ram means it won't just sap your ram when using an external monitor, it'll sap it all the time. It's very little ram though so I wouldn't worry at all. Unless you're doing video intensive tasks (like gaming) it doesn't even matter.

I don't think the MBP has a better bus or any of that garbage but you might be right. It has a dual-link DVI port so 30" monitors are go, I don't believe the MB has one. It also has more connectors and a card slot which can help alot. It has a more solid case and a backlit keyboard as well as a larger screen.

To be honest I wouldn't go for the MBPro, unless you need a specific feature the MB is just as good especially once you upgrade the ram. The premium just isn't worth it.
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

if you are doing work the requires a lot of power but you just don't want to go desktop and the laptop will be your be all end all computer go with the mac book pro. Otherwise I'd get the macbook.

It seems like, unless you overshoot what you think you need, most people who really do need a log of power always fall short very quickly after buying laptops. The truth is that they are both pretty fast, and like all high ends equipment the double price tag of the pro isn't going to get you double your speed.

in other words.. if you need the speed but can't live without a laptop go mac book pro... otherwise get a desktop and a laptop later or vice versa, or you might find that the macbook is perfect for your needs.
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

Really though, the back lit keyboard sold me on the MBP.
21st November 2007
Old 21st November 2007
Lives for gear

backlit keyboard, express slot, and 17" screen are worth the price of admission
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search