Nomad Plugs any good?
Old 11th October 2007
Gear nut

Question Nomad Plugs any good?

Are Nomad plug-ins any good?

You don't hear much about those Nomad plug-ins like the Blue Tubes series & the Analog signature series.

A friend of mine has been singing praises for their Fairchild emu, the LM-662 Limiting Amplifier plug-in, insisting I try it on my output bus for either mix down or mastering.

Has anyone tried them out?

It looks like a lot of their stuff is roughly based on real world analog gear, does anyone know where their inspiration comes from?

stikeWhat the plug-in are based on?

Are the Nomad bundles worth buying?
What do they sound like?
Are they CPU efficient?
What other plug-ins are they comparable to?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.Cobra thumbsup
Old 11th October 2007
I dont know why you have such a funny formating of your post..

but to be clear and direct...

they suckstike
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Blue Tubes version 3 has a couple decent plugs, the limiter is useful, the 12 band graph is a close Urs/Api knock-off and the oilcan delay is fun... the rest? Not so much. Ymmv...

All pretty efficient cpu-wise & Intel friendly.
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

Yea, always wanted them to be good cause they look cool. As a matter of fact theres a good argument for the looks cool, so it sounds cool school. I've never liked them... yea, they pretty much suck..
Old 12th October 2007
Lives for gear

The "nice reply" as opposed to the "they suck" replies:

Their delays are fun because they are flexible... And I suppose if you don't have a stereo imager the one in Blue Tubes is useful (or get the Brainworx one for free!). Otherwise I don't like the sound of their "tubes" very much, but it certainly has it's own sound.
Old 12th October 2007
CKK
Lives for gear

I do find the Blue Tubes bundle very useful. It might sound "bad" on the first testrun, but getting deep into the dif. plugs and getting to know them really helps.

I have found them extreemly useful on drums - they are dirty little bastards (the plugs) and can really get some grid into the whole kit.

They do deliver lots and lots of colour.

The BT bundle should be used as one of many tools to bring you where you want to go (as most plugins).

Old 12th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
The "nice reply" as opposed to the "they suck" replies:

Their delays are fun because they are flexible... And I suppose if you don't have a stereo imager the one in Blue Tubes is useful (or get the Brainworx one for free!). Otherwise I don't like the sound of their "tubes" very much, but it certainly has it's own sound.
I have no problem with a nice reply.

we share opinions here

cheers
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

there ok i use them some of the time the lm 662 can get you some dirty bastard comp sound the eq'a are ok some of time and sometimes there a no no just depends on the material really
Old 12th February 2008
Gear addict

I was not very impressed with them.
Old 13th February 2008
Gear addict

Dude...I wanted to love them. I really REALLY wanted to love them, because they do look good, and because I do want to try to get my little setup to feel as vintage analog (the two dirtiest words in the plugin world you'll find) as possible in an ITB Windoze VST environment. But I have recently demoed them pretty exhaustively and was not happy. The tube sound is kind of fizzy and thin. I have never mixed with real tube equipment (and envy those who do but it just ain't in the budget for this hobby guy), but I listen to a HUGE amont of vintage reggae and soul, and boy can you hear the difference.

There is better plugin stuff I'm sure - this is presupposing you're veen trying to go for a vintage equipment sound - and I think there are guys here far better qualifed than me to tell you what it is. Good luck!
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

they sound rather unimpressive to me ...
the new product "RETROLOGY" made me laugh:
Nomad Factory - Leader In Tube Emulation Plug-Ins
seems like they had to take down the e-tone.
to make a long story short: dfegad

the delays are ok ...
but then again:
stuff like timeless is much better imho.
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

short answer: no
long[er] answer: They aren't
Old 14th February 2008
Gear addict

Didn't like them at all.
Old 15th February 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
they sound rather unimpressive to me ...
the new product "RETROLOGY" made me laugh:
Nomad Factory - Leader In Tube Emulation Plug-Ins
seems like they had to take down the e-tone.
to make a long story short: dfegad

the delays are ok ...
but then again:
stuff like timeless is much better imho.
+1 for Timeless.
Old 19th February 2010
Gear maniac

I actually really like the EQs and the Compressors - they are not "neutral" if that's what you are looking for, but if you like the "colour" as I do and you've got good ears when dialling in settings then I really recommend you check them out.

Make sure you check the dates on these posts here - the first bunch are OLD!
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

I don't know, I haven't checked most of them out in a really long time. I can say they weren't good a few years ago, but maybe the new ones are better.

I tried the Pulse-Tec and I kinda liked it. I think the Waves Pultec is better, but I remember thinking that the 100 Hz boost sounded better on the Nomad Factory one. Maybe it was just a bit sharper bandwidth than the Waves one, and therefore didn't extend up into the 160-240 boomy range.

But I don't think I've ever had a friend tell me "you GOTTA check out these Nomad Factory plugs," while I hear that about some other companies all the time.
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

As someone who owns the integral bundle, they are very hit and miss.

37 plugins.
10-12 are outstanding.
8-10 are OK.
the rest suck.

Looking forward to the new EQ they have coming out though. The newer stuff is much better it seems.

Favorites:

1) Motown EQs
2) Pulse-Tech
3) British EQ NEQ-1972
4) AMT Multimax
Old 20th February 2010
Gear nut

Why do I get hung up on stuff like....
Why the heck did he format the original post that way???
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronecobra View Post
Are Nomad plug-ins any good?
No.
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
Why do I get hung up on stuff like....
Why the heck did he format the original post that way???
Yeah it's bugging me too.
Makes you wonder if it was a very successful
attempt to simply get under
the skin
of all us
obsessive
compulsive
readers.
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Hey, they're not unusable (actually very few plugins are "unusable"), but I completely agree there are LOTS of better plugins out there. Thats why they dont get so hype here and it seems fair to me.

Btw, this thread is old.
Old 20th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
...<snip>they are very hit and miss.</snip>...
Agreed - I like some of the EQs. I find that the Blue Tubes effects can also be useful as lofi fx on some material.
Old 31st March 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

British Bundle kick ass.

For what they're charging at the moment the B.B. Neve emulations are an absolute steal.

I've listened to tests done against the Waves V-series Neves and there really is not much difference.

Be quick, they're $30 at audiomidi.com but only until the 14th april 2010.

If they're good enough for Barry Rudolph and Danny Elphman then they're good enough for anyone. Very colourful plugins.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm actually selling the integral bundle I purchased right now on fleabay... but may buy the british bundle.
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head
I'm a big fan of their oilcan echo - very flexible and the sound is soooo warm - If you want a 60's 70's delay-like, it's the one ! I tried every other brands native delays plugs looking for an equivalent and have never found one with that sound...
I remember the chorus was cool too...
I would say it's better not to overuse the BT plugins on every track as they would remove clarity to your mix, but they can definitely add warmness on some spots...
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

I have the analog signature plugins and the fairchild-ish (hm, odd pun) compressor/limiter has an awesome smooth sound, unlike any other compressor I've tried. And I *think* I've tried them all!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search