New Reply
Subscribe
Yutaka
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Gear addict

High frequency tone from my G5??

Hi folks,

For the past couple of weeks, I've been noticing there's a high frequency tone, like 10-12kHz or so, coming out of my G5 dual 2.0GHz (2nd generation model). Acoustically, it's very faint, but the problem is that it is coming through the electric guitar pickups, and also through the microphones (RE20 & M160 so far) no matter where they are placed in the room! I have no clue as to what is causing the problem - it sure isn't getting into my recording signal path acoustically as those highly directional mics seem to have zero influence in taming this tone (distance seem to have no effect on the volume, either). It sounds like pure sine wave, like from a tone generator. The tone is not constant, it comes and goes randomly, doesn't seem to have any relations to specific actions/operations.

I have tried removing the super drive as well as the recently added internal hard disk just to see if any of those mechanical parts are causing it, but that didn't help at all. Would anyone know what maybe the problem? Is there a certain angle which I could give a Karate chop at to shut it up? Thanks for your help!

10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Gear addict

Hi there,

had the same problem with my Dual G5 here as well. Download CHUD Tools 4.4.4 (there's a link in the DUC General Troubleshooting on Mac) go to System Preferences - Processor - Disable Nap there - voila! - High Frequency Madness disappears...you have to disable it either on every restart or download and modify the script Digidesign provides (there's alot of reading on this in the DUC if you search for Disable Nap or Chud Chirp or similiar related terms)

Hope that helps, man!
Yutaka
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Gear addict

Thanks a lot Markus!! I'll look into it...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search