Login / Register

Freezing / Printing Tracks In Pro Tools
New Reply
Subscribe
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

perhaps it is a 7.1 vs 7.3 issue then.

i'll give it a try when i upgrade to 7.4.. til then, no probs with printing to extra tracks i guess.
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

great trick!
26th November 2007
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
this doesnt work with rtas of course...
Drop a TDM plug-in first and it will work
29th November 2007
Old 29th November 2007
Gear nut

Question. I tried this today but cut myself short before I recorded with a few concerns. First, in the tutotial video, it shows the feedback as being at a constant level once record enabled. When I set it up, the feedback went through the roof clipping and I stopped there thinking I was doing something wrong since that wasn't what I saw in the video.

So questions being... why in the video is the feedback loop at a constant level? And is there any potential danger to damaging any gear (aside from speakers if unmuted) by creating that type of feedback loop?
10th December 2007
Old 10th December 2007
Gear interested

pro-tools m powered 7.3.1cs4

I have m-powered 7.3.1cs4 and when I try this I do everything exactly as stated and then pull back the region and all I get is the feedback all the way through. WTF?
11th April 2008
Old 11th April 2008
Gear interested

hi people,

Has anyone every got the track freeze method to work for PT m-powered? Been trying all night and no joy! set the send and the input to the same bus and record enable but not even digital feedback.. :(
13th April 2008
Old 13th April 2008
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to 7thangelz
^^^nothing but the feedback, which as you see in the video stops when playing and only starts again when you press record. the feedback stays constant for me. i'm on ptmp 7.4 cs3 pc 3gb ram. i'm thinking maybe there's an option enabled/disabled that may be the thing that makes it work for some and not others.

i'll try this at my school tomorrow with their hd system where i'll need it the most
13th April 2008
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

It works for me on PT M-Powered 7.4.cs2 with a Profire LightBridge on PC. I must deselect "Input only monitoring". Also, as somebody posted before my feedback level gets higher so it´s not constant as in the video. Maybe it´s because he is using a limiter.

With this method you have to be careful if using out board compressors because the feedback will make the compresor to react so I think it´s a good idea to press play with time enough to let the compressor´s release to return to it´s place.

I also sk myself if it´s not dangerous to get that feedback level into our outboard. It´s quite scary !
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Gear addict

i was supposed to try it at school today but i had enough problems with uad dfegaddelay compensation, the 1969 drawmer acting up, pt telling me i was over my voice count even though i had about 40 tracks, 6 of them stereo, on a hd system, and the aws+ in constant solo clear in analogue mode (somebody effed with something and that board has too many little things that are easily overlooked but end up stopping everything).

instead of trying this, mixing at least 2-3 songs and possibly doing some impulse of the equipment and board i ended up having a rough mix just to get a feel for what i have to do this week.
where's the violin smilies?

i'll keep trying with my ptmp
15th April 2008
Old 15th April 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico View Post
It works for me on PT M-Powered 7.4.cs2 with a Profire LightBridge on PC. I must deselect "Input only monitoring".
thanx, that was the missing piece for me.

nuff respect to the songphonic for the method thumbsup
15th April 2008
Old 15th April 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico View Post
I must deselect "Input only monitoring".
Where do i deselect this? Thanks for the tips people!!!
15th April 2008
Old 15th April 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanm View Post
Where do i deselect this? Thanks for the tips people!!!
if it's ptmp check the 'track' dropdown it will say 'auto input monitoring' or 'input only monitoring', it toggles between both when you select it. for me, when 'auto input monitoring' is on (shows up in the menu) i get nothing but feedback while 'input only monitoring' enables the method.

it's a bit temperamental for me as i don't automatically get feedback even after arming the track. also, the feedback level represents what the level will be, so at one point the signal was unbalanced with more volume in the right channel of the stereo channel, the end result was a waveform where the right channel was higher in volume which was pretty evident, so you'll have to tweak it and experiment until you get a feel for the ideal feedback:waveform levels.
18th April 2008
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to lozion
About delay compensation, if you select the delay compensation option in the i/o set-up page, do you still have to manually compensate after you have re-recorded the tracks using your method?

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by songphonic View Post
Hi Everyone,

For years, I have been trying to find a way of printing audio onto the same track in PT (like a freeze track function) and it looks like I finally cracked it. We have been using it for a while ourselves and it seems to work well.

While we were searching for this we also stumbled upon a method for printing RTAS instruments onto the same track as well. For both of these we have just posted two tutorial videos on our website - they are not of professional quality, but they explain the methods fine.

The link for the videos is Songphonic ProTools Tutorials

We tested this on PT TDM 7.1cs7 - I would like to find out whether the technique works for other versions of Pro Tools as well. Many viewers reported that it works on 7.3, LE and M-Powered systems as well.

I originally posted this on DUC last week and we received great feedback - they both seem to work well. Apologies if you have already seen it.

Enjoy

Osman
23rd April 2008
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

cool tip! it works on my 6.4 mix plus rig and I use pre roll from the start of the track so I can just set it off and get on with something else
cheers
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
Gear interested

Never managed to get this working on PT mpowered 7.3
Ah well! Back to bouncing to new audio tracks I suppose..
10th March 2009
Old 10th March 2009
Lives for gear

resurrecting this thread...

looks like delay compensation doesn't work in this case, rendering the "trick" sort of useless for me...

the tracks print back late if you use plugins, and more so if you use a hardware insert... over 100 samples for me. Anyone else get a different result? On the other hand, ff you bus and print in PT8 with a hardware insert on the source track, bussed to another track, everything lines up in phase.

PT8, lynx auroras, 8 core mac. delay comp long enabled.

Could it depend on buffer sizes?

DC
10th March 2009
Old 10th March 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to lozion
Mmm, dunno about about PT8, but here on 7.3.1 it works like a charm.
A definite awesome little known time-saver trick.
Songphonic deserves an award in my book...
12th June 2010
Old 12th June 2010
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to cassiopamusic
thought I'd resurrect this one. so I've tried this on PT8.0.3 10.6.2. and it works great. had the feedback loop problem at first then switched my input modes and it was all good. had a thought though, how could I incorporate this method on LE when I'm basically maxed out on busses for sends to auxes, and also i need to still print the auxes to audio files as well to get reverb plugs and such to different systems that don't share the same plugs. my initial thought is that it is not possible, but i thought maybe, just maybe a bright mind on here could think of a workaround.
22nd September 2011
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone check if this works in Pro Tools 9? I couldn't get it to work. I get a brief feedback and then nothing. During playback it shows nothing, and after recording and pulling back the QP:ed area there's only feedback.
e12
10th October 2011
Old 10th October 2011
e12
Gear interested

Printing RTAS To The Same Track - PT9

Hi Guys, I was trying to find some more information about the matter and after reading a couple messages, decided to share my experience about it.

I'm used to do the printing it all the time, like this:

1) Put a pre-fader send in each track you want to process.

2) Use the same bus in the track's input (if you're doing it in more than one track you have to make sure each one of them has a different bus, otherwise you'll bounce more than one track and mess it up)

3) Select Quick Punch Mode

4) Don't let the Input Monitor active. If you're not in HD, make sure to be working on Auto Input Mode.

5) Zero your Monitor System's output to avoid a big accident.

6) Rec Arm the track(s)

7) Hit play and wait till the cursor get to the end of the track, then hit record for a couple seconds.

8) With the trimmer tool pull the file from the tail you have recorded till the beginning of the song.

9) Now you just have to adjust the file location, as it probably moved some samples away, because of the plugins delay...here is the tricky stuff**

* I find out to be better do it with the delay compensation off and copy a snare sample to the beginning of all all the tracks prior to the printing (before the audio file starts: the snare sample must be the first audio information in the timeline). After processing the audio, you just need to verify the sample difference between the two snares (printed and not processed) and correct the processed file to the original file position.

This will assure the processed files are playing in the same place as the original (unprocessed) and It helps AVOID ANY RECORDING ERROR to be unnoticeable left there, which may cause phase issues.

It happened to me when using the SLATE DIGITAL VCC and other plugs, that some of the tracks were printed with some more delay than others. I didn't realize why, but must be something about the way the computer deals with the recording send's loop.... Anyway I encourage you guys to try to feel the way the instruments are grooving together before and after printing, because that's the way I realized something was not really fine after printing and it was the reason why I started doing it without the delay compensation and everything... What's the point to print it if your tracks won't be playing exactly in the same time/ feel etc?

Thanks!!
e12
10th October 2011
Old 10th October 2011
e12
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Anyone check if this works in Pro Tools 9? I couldn't get it to work. I get a brief feedback and then nothing. During playback it shows nothing, and after recording and pulling back the QP:ed area there's only feedback.
Hi, I just sent a post with all the instructions. In your case, the feedback is normal. Mute your monitor system and make sure you're working in the auto-input mode. As soon as you hit play, the feedback goes away and sound goes through. When you press record, in the end of the track, the feedback must come back and be recorded, but you won't use it. Just trim the file back and then delete it.

Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search