New Reply
Subscribe
t56tr
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Head

Protools meter (level) question

I am learning PT7....

I always hear/read everyone talking about the levels they record at. For example "do not record at 0db" or "I like to record at around -4db to -6db" , etc etc.

If I am using my pt7 and 003 rack, where do I see these numbers. All I see is my meter(s) going up and down, entering yellow, or sometimes red (clipping).

How can I tell what db I am recording at like I hear people talking about?

PS I have no outboard with meters.
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
apple click (or control click if on PC) where it says "vol 0.0" or similar - it'll cycle through peak signal reading (click on this to reset it) and then delay induced by any plugins, before getting back to volume again.

What you'll find is that if you record all your signals really hot (ie peaking -1 to -2 dBFs) you find that to avoid overloading you mix buss (or the console inputs or mix buss if mixing OTB) you'll need to pull the fader levels down quite a long way.

Which is pretty much the same thing as if you'd just recorded at a lower level to start with - you'd then be able to keep the faders at a reasonable level.

Don't really know how messing about with Trim plugs is going to help you...other than if you have recorded really hot, you could trim back the signal and keep the fader at the point where the movements are larger (ie around 0). Not really good practice though - better to do some experiments and find out for yourself what good levels to record at are.
24th September 2007
Old 24th September 2007
Gear maniac

High-Resolution Meter plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by t56tr View Post
I am learning PT7....

I always hear/read everyone talking about the levels they record at. For example "do not record at 0db" or "I like to record at around -4db to -6db" , etc etc.

If I am using my pt7 and 003 rack, where do I see these numbers. All I see is my meter(s) going up and down, entering yellow, or sometimes red (clipping).

How can I tell what db I am recording at like I hear people talking about?

PS I have no outboard with meters.
You can download the High-Resolution Meter plug-in from Massey
Here: smassey.com
24th September 2007
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoff View Post
You can download the High-Resolution Meter plug-in from Massey
Here: smassey.com
What Meter? Where? The link just says: No news. I didn't know that Massey had a meter plug in.
24th September 2007
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
What Meter? Where? The link just says: No news. I didn't know that Massey had a meter plug in.
Never mind, found them but you need to go to the Protools Plug-Ins page. Thanks for that tip, like I said, I didn't know about those Massey Tools.
24th September 2007
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search