Login / Register

Waves SSL plug-ins, all the color but with no EQ or dynamics processing.
New Reply
Subscribe
Pronecobra
18th September 2007
Old 18th September 2007
Gear nut

Waves SSL plug-ins, all the color but with no EQ or dynamics processing.

I was working on a session this past week and my client wanted me to make his digital tracks sound less sterile and, well, digital. I tried something a little different than what I usually do. My client also wanted an SSL sound so what I did was process all audio tracks offline using the Waves SSL channel strip plug-in but with the dynamics and EQ sections bypassed. The plug-in added the "analog" color they are known for but without introducing any of the gain changes that are introduced with the use of EQ and compression. The cummulative affect on the track was a tight, punchy, and harmonically interesting mix.

Has anyone else tried this?

P.Cobra
20th September 2007
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

No, but I will today. So you just used it as an insert on individual tracks with the EQ and Comp in Bypass mode?

"That Kick drum is so subliminal, It's Animal!"
Pronecobra
20th September 2007
Old 20th September 2007
Gear nut

Smile

I actually processed them offline, so "permanently" you could say, rather than a realtime effect. Otherwise you have it exactly; I bypassed the dynamics and EQ and was left only with the "preamp" color. I imagine tbis possibility was anticipated by the developers and the analog on/off function kind of points to this I think. After reading it again, my original post looks a little silly on digital paper, but I'll try anything to make things sound cool.
20th September 2007
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

I didn't just process with everything bypassed, but there's *the* flavour in the final mix when every track has an insert of E-Channel (of course with EQ and Dynamics processed).

That said, Waves SSL is a superb and deep plugin, the more you explore, the more you discover. I really wonder why many people laugh at the analog button and bashing it as very harsh sounding plugins.

PS: I tried the E-Channel on real drum tracks today, amazed my friend on how tight and punch with just the E-Channel. The Gate is just, magic.
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear interested

I, too, tried this and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I tossed it on my drum stem and it definitely warmed it up the way I wanted.

I do have to say I would have normally not really paid much attention to the analog switch and just assumed it was just another one of those "tube-like" ditties we've been seeing for awhile now, but after visiting with Scott down at Waves, he explained the SSL series plugins a bit more in depth, it definitely resulted in me trying them out asap. I love em.

I can't accommodate an actual SSL in my home rig, so this'll do for now.
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to Mark Norup
I really love the SSL plugs.. ill strap them over all of the tracks from start, and go from there... ill tend not to use so many other plugs, and it gives the mix a nice depth and SSL sound.. Waves for ones.. really did a god job with those plugs..

Mark :-)
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Norup View Post
I really love the SSL plugs.. ill strap them over all of the tracks from start, and go from there... ill tend not to use so many other plugs, and it gives the mix a nice depth and SSL sound.. Waves for ones.. really did a god job with those plugs..

I too like the SSL 4000 bundle. I mainly use if for eq. The compressor in it is ok. I like the mix bus compressor. The gate i dont care for. Doesnt work well for me.

Good bundle though. Id like to try the api bundle from waves.
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to Mark Norup
Ive just try the demo of the API bundle.. man that bundle is great.. Im afraid i have to purchase it.. With the SSL bundle and the API bundle you really got the colores you ned for a great itb mix.. The EQ in the API bundle is more transperant than the SSL G/E eq and works great for acustic guitar, bas and vocals.. And the API buscomp can be tweaked more than the SSL buscomp... Ill hope waves will do and distressor emulation that would be so great...

23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear maniac

I didn't know waves had an api bundle...thats great news.

And a distressor would be really neat to have itb

Gear|Addict Clothing
(Designer/Creator)
Unique Audio/Music/Recording Related Clothing
(Mics, Synths, Analogue Gear...Hip Hop and everything in Between)

3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanh View Post
I didn't know waves had an api bundle...thats great news.

And a distressor would be really neat to have itb
Have youever tried Digidesigns Smack plugin? It's not to bad for the distressor type of thing itb.
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Norup View Post

+1
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Gear addict

Hey guys im really interested in getting these plugs..wheres the best price for the Waves SSL 4000 bundle?
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

There are killer deals on ebay once in a while, lowerest I saw is $500 (native) and $1k (TDM) on ebay brand new.

You can visit altomusic or just call up Tony here...
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Daniel Antix
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
Have youever tried Digidesigns Smack plugin? It's not to bad for the distressor type of thing itb.

blockfish is a good, FREE distressor like plugin.
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronecobra View Post
what I did was process all audio tracks offline using the Waves SSL channel strip plug-in but with the dynamics and EQ sections bypassed. The plug-in added the "analog" color they are known for but without introducing any of the gain changes that are introduced with the use of EQ and compression. The cummulative affect on the track was a tight, punchy, and harmonically interesting mix.
P.Cobra
I just did a null test, and the waveforms with Waves SSL and without it completely canceled out. Just inserting the plug doesn't do anything with the sound.

To me, this sounds like a classic case of placebo effect, just like Mixerman's "soar" knob.
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
I just did a null test, and the waveforms with Waves SSL and without it completely canceled out. Just inserting the plug doesn't do anything with the sound.

To me, this sounds like a classic case of placebo effect, just like Mixerman's "soar" knob.
Excellent
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

REALLY!!!

That's funny because if I place the plug on and crank my monitors I can hear the convolution noise/Hiss.. If my monitors are cranked and I turn that analog button off the hiss goes away. I figured this was Waves sampled noise from the console...That is why they give the option to turn it off...

I guess I must be hearing things...Since your test says nothing is happening.
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

The null test thing has been discussed before (do a search if you're interested!) Some people who have done it state they both null completely, yet many people testify to hearing a difference. I initially could not hear a difference, but after working with the plugins for a while, it became apparent to me.

Why not ask Bob Olhsson what he thinks about the analog button?
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
REALLY!!!

That's funny because if I place the plug on and crank my monitors I can hear the convolution noise/Hiss.. If my monitors are cranked and I turn that analog button off the hiss goes away. I figured this was Waves sampled noise from the console...That is why they give the option to turn it off...

I guess I must be hearing things...Since your test says nothing is happening.
I don't know why I did this, but I attached two files from the null test. One with analog on and one with analog off. I really had to crank up the volume to hear something that resembles a bleed (in both files!), but that could have another cause. I don't know. What I do know, is that I'm not hearing a difference and, when played at a normal volume, I'm not hearing anything at all. The files are WAV 44.1/24.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Waves SSL test analog on.wav (4.54 MB, 90 views) File Type: wav Waves SSL test analog off.wav (4.54 MB, 76 views)
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

This one's easy, folks. Put a few on and squash them completely with the meanest limiter you can find. The noise is completely audible. I once spent twenty minutes tracking down the "faulty" track in a mix till I finally realized it was the analog button on a particularly flattened track.

Maybe it's just because I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet, but I'm starting to think the phrase "null test" is thrown around here a bit too casually.

Cheers.

Duck.

.......Rusko
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Well the first time I heard it... I was being dumb and it was my TG pres on the backend of my Folcrom.

I had to do the test later ITB to see... Of course it was less then minus the TG... But I still could hear it...

Unless my KRK's are that noisy wide open. Could be... But I don't hear it with other plugs...I know the UAD stuff doesn't cause that hiss.
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
The noise is completely audible. I once spent twenty minutes tracking down the "faulty" track in a mix till I finally realized it was the analog button on a particularly flattened track.
I had the exact same experience.

4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post

Why not ask Bob Ohlsson what he thinks about the analog button?

What did he say?

4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronecobra View Post
I was working on a session this past week and my client wanted me to make his digital tracks sound less sterile and, well, digital. I tried something a little different than what I usually do. My client also wanted an SSL sound so what I did was process all audio tracks offline using the Waves SSL channel strip plug-in but with the dynamics and EQ sections bypassed. The plug-in added the "analog" color they are known for but without introducing any of the gain changes that are introduced with the use of EQ and compression. The cummulative affect on the track was a tight, punchy, and harmonically interesting mix.

Has anyone else tried this?

P.Cobra
The Waves SSL stuff just adds Hissssssssssssss and it's fk'n annoying as it adds up.
Except maybe the Compressor.
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Motown legend

I'm curious how you could possibly get a null. The analog switch adds both noise and distortion if you turn up the gain. I wouldn't knee-jerk leave it on.

The first time I used it we needed to make up a little piece of audio to insert into a mix that had been done with a 4k. The mix had used overloading the module as part of the vocal effect and we just about keeled over when the plug-in matched the distortion effect.
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Who will be the next to test for Null????????
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I'm curious how you could possibly get a null. The analog switch adds both noise and distortion if you turn up the gain.
I guess you mean the gain of the Waves SSL? I didn't turn up that gain. I left it at 0. Maybe that's why I got the null.

Tomorrow, when I'm in the studio, I'll test it again, but with the gain turned up.
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Gear maniac

Ok, I couldn't wait, so I did the test at home.

There is noise, although very soft, when you turn up the gain! My conclusion is: just inserting the plug-in doesn't do anything, but with at least the gain turned up, it adds noise. Just to see (or rather hear) what would happen, I switched on the analog switch on both instances of the plug-in and that added even more noise.

I attached a sound file from the test I just did.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Waves SSL test gain up.wav (4.54 MB, 99 views)
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
....The mix had used overloading the module as part of the vocal effect and we just about keeled over when the plug-in matched the distortion effect.
That's shocking. Thanks for that. I thought the noise was all there was to it, I had no idea the plugin did anywhere near that level of modeling. Will definitely try it out.

Keen.

Cheers.

5th October 2007
Old 5th October 2007
Lives for gear

Ok... like I said earlier...

I had the gain at zero and could hear hiss with my monitors way up...But of course I don't mix that loud...I was stating that it is there though..

I get hiss with my TG on the mix... But the SSL adds even more to that. But for the rock I do it's not always bad.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search