Login / Register
 
Waves SSL plug-ins, all the color but with no EQ or dynamics processing.
New Reply
Subscribe
Pronecobra
Thread Starter
#1
18th September 2007
Old 18th September 2007
  #1
Gear nut
 
Pronecobra's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 130

Thread Starter
Pronecobra is offline
Waves SSL plug-ins, all the color but with no EQ or dynamics processing.

I was working on a session this past week and my client wanted me to make his digital tracks sound less sterile and, well, digital. I tried something a little different than what I usually do. My client also wanted an SSL sound so what I did was process all audio tracks offline using the Waves SSL channel strip plug-in but with the dynamics and EQ sections bypassed. The plug-in added the "analog" color they are known for but without introducing any of the gain changes that are introduced with the use of EQ and compression. The cummulative affect on the track was a tight, punchy, and harmonically interesting mix.

Has anyone else tried this?

P.Cobra
#2
20th September 2007
Old 20th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Blackwater's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Webster N.H.
Posts: 513

Blackwater is offline
No, but I will today. So you just used it as an insert on individual tracks with the EQ and Comp in Bypass mode?
__________________
Chris Westerman
Blackwater Sound and Mastering
__________________________
______________

"That Kick drum is so subliminal, It's Animal!"
Pronecobra
Thread Starter
#3
20th September 2007
Old 20th September 2007
  #3
Gear nut
 
Pronecobra's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 130

Thread Starter
Pronecobra is offline
Smile

I actually processed them offline, so "permanently" you could say, rather than a realtime effect. Otherwise you have it exactly; I bypassed the dynamics and EQ and was left only with the "preamp" color. I imagine tbis possibility was anticipated by the developers and the analog on/off function kind of points to this I think. After reading it again, my original post looks a little silly on digital paper, but I'll try anything to make things sound cool.
#4
20th September 2007
Old 20th September 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 759

pigcat is offline
I didn't just process with everything bypassed, but there's *the* flavour in the final mix when every track has an insert of E-Channel (of course with EQ and Dynamics processed).

That said, Waves SSL is a superb and deep plugin, the more you explore, the more you discover. I really wonder why many people laugh at the analog button and bashing it as very harsh sounding plugins.

PS: I tried the E-Channel on real drum tracks today, amazed my friend on how tight and punch with just the E-Channel. The Gate is just, magic.
#5
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
  #5
Gear interested
 
zuso's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 28

zuso is offline
I, too, tried this and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I tossed it on my drum stem and it definitely warmed it up the way I wanted.

I do have to say I would have normally not really paid much attention to the analog switch and just assumed it was just another one of those "tube-like" ditties we've been seeing for awhile now, but after visiting with Scott down at Waves, he explained the SSL series plugins a bit more in depth, it definitely resulted in me trying them out asap. I love em.

I can't accommodate an actual SSL in my home rig, so this'll do for now.
__________________
~Michael Z
#6
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
  #6
Gear Head
 
Mark Norup's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 37

Send a message via AIM to Mark Norup
Mark Norup is offline
I really love the SSL plugs.. ill strap them over all of the tracks from start, and go from there... ill tend not to use so many other plugs, and it gives the mix a nice depth and SSL sound.. Waves for ones.. really did a god job with those plugs..

Mark :-)
#7
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
  #7
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 52

stanmart is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Norup View Post
I really love the SSL plugs.. ill strap them over all of the tracks from start, and go from there... ill tend not to use so many other plugs, and it gives the mix a nice depth and SSL sound.. Waves for ones.. really did a god job with those plugs..

Mark :-)
I too like the SSL 4000 bundle. I mainly use if for eq. The compressor in it is ok. I like the mix bus compressor. The gate i dont care for. Doesnt work well for me.

Good bundle though. Id like to try the api bundle from waves.
#8
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
  #8
Gear Head
 
Mark Norup's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 37

Send a message via AIM to Mark Norup
Mark Norup is offline
Ive just try the demo of the API bundle.. man that bundle is great.. Im afraid i have to purchase it.. With the SSL bundle and the API bundle you really got the colores you ned for a great itb mix.. The EQ in the API bundle is more transperant than the SSL G/E eq and works great for acustic guitar, bas and vocals.. And the API buscomp can be tweaked more than the SSL buscomp... Ill hope waves will do and distressor emulation that would be so great...

Mark :-)
#9
23rd September 2007
Old 23rd September 2007
  #9
Gear maniac
 
jordanh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA / Chicago, IL
Posts: 285

jordanh is offline
I didn't know waves had an api bundle...thats great news.

And a distressor would be really neat to have itb
__________________
Jordan H

Gear|Addict Clothing
(Designer/Creator)
Unique Audio/Music/Recording Related Clothing
(Mics, Synths, Analogue Gear...Hip Hop and everything in Between)


#10
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 711

tekn0 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanh View Post
I didn't know waves had an api bundle...thats great news.

And a distressor would be really neat to have itb
Have youever tried Digidesigns Smack plugin? It's not to bad for the distressor type of thing itb.
#11
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 535

Dr Gruv is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Norup View Post
I really love the SSL plugs.. ill strap them over all of the tracks from start, and go from there... ill tend not to use so many other plugs, and it gives the mix a nice depth and SSL sound.. Waves for ones.. really did a god job with those plugs..

Mark :-)
+1
#12
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #12
Gear addict
 
RuffJazzRecords's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 315

RuffJazzRecords is offline
Hey guys im really interested in getting these plugs..wheres the best price for the Waves SSL 4000 bundle?
#13
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 759

pigcat is offline
There are killer deals on ebay once in a while, lowerest I saw is $500 (native) and $1k (TDM) on ebay brand new.

You can visit altomusic or just call up Tony here...
#14
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Daniel Antix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Daniel Antix
Daniel Antix is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
Have youever tried Digidesigns Smack plugin? It's not to bad for the distressor type of thing itb.

blockfish is a good, FREE distressor like plugin.
#15
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #15
Gear maniac
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 173

NathanC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronecobra View Post
what I did was process all audio tracks offline using the Waves SSL channel strip plug-in but with the dynamics and EQ sections bypassed. The plug-in added the "analog" color they are known for but without introducing any of the gain changes that are introduced with the use of EQ and compression. The cummulative affect on the track was a tight, punchy, and harmonically interesting mix.
P.Cobra
I just did a null test, and the waveforms with Waves SSL and without it completely canceled out. Just inserting the plug doesn't do anything with the sound.

To me, this sounds like a classic case of placebo effect, just like Mixerman's "soar" knob.
#16
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
andre tchmil's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: always on the move
Posts: 794

andre tchmil is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
I just did a null test, and the waveforms with Waves SSL and without it completely canceled out. Just inserting the plug doesn't do anything with the sound.

To me, this sounds like a classic case of placebo effect, just like Mixerman's "soar" knob.
Excellent
#17
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,138

Faderjockey is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
I just did a null test, and the waveforms with Waves SSL and without it completely canceled out. Just inserting the plug doesn't do anything with the sound.

To me, this sounds like a classic case of placebo effect, just like Mixerman's "soar" knob.
REALLY!!!

That's funny because if I place the plug on and crank my monitors I can hear the convolution noise/Hiss.. If my monitors are cranked and I turn that analog button off the hiss goes away. I figured this was Waves sampled noise from the console...That is why they give the option to turn it off...

I guess I must be hearing things...Since your test says nothing is happening.
__________________
www.barberelectronics.com
#18
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD/Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,630

AlexLakis is offline
The null test thing has been discussed before (do a search if you're interested!) Some people who have done it state they both null completely, yet many people testify to hearing a difference. I initially could not hear a difference, but after working with the plugins for a while, it became apparent to me.

Why not ask Bob Olhsson what he thinks about the analog button?
#19
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #19
Gear maniac
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 173

NathanC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
REALLY!!!

That's funny because if I place the plug on and crank my monitors I can hear the convolution noise/Hiss.. If my monitors are cranked and I turn that analog button off the hiss goes away. I figured this was Waves sampled noise from the console...That is why they give the option to turn it off...

I guess I must be hearing things...Since your test says nothing is happening.
I don't know why I did this, but I attached two files from the null test. One with analog on and one with analog off. I really had to crank up the volume to hear something that resembles a bleed (in both files!), but that could have another cause. I don't know. What I do know, is that I'm not hearing a difference and, when played at a normal volume, I'm not hearing anything at all. The files are WAV 44.1/24.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Waves SSL test analog on.wav (4.54 MB, 90 views) File Type: wav Waves SSL test analog off.wav (4.54 MB, 76 views)
#20
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Empty Planet's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Beautiful NYC
Posts: 1,303

Empty Planet is offline
This one's easy, folks. Put a few on and squash them completely with the meanest limiter you can find. The noise is completely audible. I once spent twenty minutes tracking down the "faulty" track in a mix till I finally realized it was the analog button on a particularly flattened track.



Maybe it's just because I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet, but I'm starting to think the phrase "null test" is thrown around here a bit too casually.


Cheers.

__________________
...
+12.
+24.
Duck.

.......Rusko
#21
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,138

Faderjockey is offline
Well the first time I heard it... I was being dumb and it was my TG pres on the backend of my Folcrom.

I had to do the test later ITB to see... Of course it was less then minus the TG... But I still could hear it...

Unless my KRK's are that noisy wide open. Could be... But I don't hear it with other plugs...I know the UAD stuff doesn't cause that hiss.
#22
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Mind-Over-Midi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,655

Mind-Over-Midi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
The noise is completely audible. I once spent twenty minutes tracking down the "faulty" track in a mix till I finally realized it was the analog button on a particularly flattened track.
I had the exact same experience.



#23
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Mind-Over-Midi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,655

Mind-Over-Midi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post

Why not ask Bob Ohlsson what he thinks about the analog button?

What did he say?




#24
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #24
Gear maniac
 
imdrecordings's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 252

imdrecordings is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronecobra View Post
I was working on a session this past week and my client wanted me to make his digital tracks sound less sterile and, well, digital. I tried something a little different than what I usually do. My client also wanted an SSL sound so what I did was process all audio tracks offline using the Waves SSL channel strip plug-in but with the dynamics and EQ sections bypassed. The plug-in added the "analog" color they are known for but without introducing any of the gain changes that are introduced with the use of EQ and compression. The cummulative affect on the track was a tight, punchy, and harmonically interesting mix.

Has anyone else tried this?

P.Cobra
The Waves SSL stuff just adds Hissssssssssssss and it's fk'n annoying as it adds up.
Except maybe the Compressor.
__________________
Scott
#25
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #25
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Songwriter Gulch, Nashville TN
Posts: 13,281

Bob Olhsson is offline
I'm curious how you could possibly get a null. The analog switch adds both noise and distortion if you turn up the gain. I wouldn't knee-jerk leave it on.

The first time I used it we needed to make up a little piece of audio to insert into a mix that had been done with a 4k. The mix had used overloading the module as part of the vocal effect and we just about keeled over when the plug-in matched the distortion effect.
__________________
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
Music Industry 2.0
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
#26
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Blackwater's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Webster N.H.
Posts: 513

Blackwater is offline
Who will be the next to test for Null????????
#27
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #27
Gear maniac
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 173

NathanC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I'm curious how you could possibly get a null. The analog switch adds both noise and distortion if you turn up the gain.
I guess you mean the gain of the Waves SSL? I didn't turn up that gain. I left it at 0. Maybe that's why I got the null.

Tomorrow, when I'm in the studio, I'll test it again, but with the gain turned up.
#28
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #28
Gear maniac
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 173

NathanC is offline
Ok, I couldn't wait, so I did the test at home.

There is noise, although very soft, when you turn up the gain! My conclusion is: just inserting the plug-in doesn't do anything, but with at least the gain turned up, it adds noise. Just to see (or rather hear) what would happen, I switched on the analog switch on both instances of the plug-in and that added even more noise.

I attached a sound file from the test I just did.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Waves SSL test gain up.wav (4.54 MB, 99 views)
#29
4th October 2007
Old 4th October 2007
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Empty Planet's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Beautiful NYC
Posts: 1,303

Empty Planet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
....The mix had used overloading the module as part of the vocal effect and we just about keeled over when the plug-in matched the distortion effect.
That's shocking. Thanks for that. I thought the noise was all there was to it, I had no idea the plugin did anywhere near that level of modeling. Will definitely try it out.

Keen.



Cheers.

#30
5th October 2007
Old 5th October 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Faderjockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,138

Faderjockey is offline
Ok... like I said earlier...

I had the gain at zero and could hear hiss with my monitors way up...But of course I don't mix that loud...I was stating that it is there though..

I get hiss with my TG on the mix... But the SSL adds even more to that. But for the rock I do it's not always bad.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Glenn Bucci / Music Computers
145
nickel10 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Bump Music / So much gear, so little time!
14
MACHINE / Music Computers
7

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.