Login / Register

Using USB flash sticks for recording audio?
View Poll Results: What can you use for recording 10*24bit, 88.1 audio
External drive only
4 Votes - 40.00%
Internal drive should do
3 Votes - 30.00%
Flash drive, - i think...
1 Votes - 10.00%
iPod should be possible.
0 Votes - 0%
All of the above
2 Votes - 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
mortlar
9th September 2007
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

Using USB flash sticks for recording audio?

Okay, here´s the deal:
I´m wondering about the speed you could get from an 4gb usb flash stick. Will it for example be able to handle recording of 10 tracks 24 bit, 88.1khz. Can it replace an external drive for us "hobby recorders"?
Is it something that anyone does at all?
How about an iPod?
What about the internal drive (Let´s say 5400rpm to be cheap) with the same audio quality as above.

*Edit:*
Forget about the poll. Didn´t become as i thought it would...
9th September 2010
Old 9th September 2010
Gear nut

Actually I would like to know an answer for this one as well. Am on the road travellin and could use a third drive for samples and such in ableton live...

Is this an option?

:Luca
9th September 2010
Old 9th September 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Flash drives are extremely unreliable --especially after they've been subjected to repeated write/erase/write cycles-- and they may become unusable at any moment. I would never use them to record anything, only as temporary storage to transfer data to someone else's computer.

A better alternative: Compact Flash cards for professional photography (yes, of course they're more expensive than standard CF cards.)
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Flash drives are extremely unreliable --especially after they've been subjected to repeated write/erase/write cycles-- and they may become unusable at any moment. I would never use them to record anything, only as temporary storage to transfer data to someone else's computer.

A better alternative: Compact Flash cards for professional photography (yes, of course they're more expensive than standard CF cards.)
I've been wondering about this for a while and I can't find anything on searches. Is this still the case? So would something like this be a more flexible and equally capable substitute for a 128gb solid state hard drive inside a laptop?:
SanDisk reveals $1500 128GB Extreme Pro CF card, Ultra / Cruzer Edge USB drives -- Engadget
Do the solid state internal hard drives of laptops suffer from the degraded performance of writing and re-writing as mentioned above? I would really appreciate any computer guys weighing in on this or people who have had experience.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search