Emagic AMT 8 Drivers
Old 24th August 2007
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Big Ale's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Smile Emagic AMT 8 Drivers

Hi guys need Drivers for Emagic AMT 8 for Windows XP any help or a copy would be great. Found some on the internet but is giving me issues whilst using them to install not working correctly Thanks again ALe
Old 29th August 2007
  #2
Gear interested
 

Hi,

You need the file unidrv227.zip from:
Index of /Apple_Support_Area/emagic/Driver_Files/Windows

This is the ONLY windows-driver existing for the AMT8 and, since Apple bought Emagic.

Unpack the file. You will notice that there are no explicit drivers for Windows XP. Use the ones for Win 2000, they will work (at least they work for my AMT8 under Windows XP SP2).

The following works for the USB-connection:
Go to the device manager, click on the unknown usb-device (amt8), reinstall driver. Now click "install from list" and choose the directory "Win2k" for the drivers to use. When windows asks, if its ok to install the unknown driver, continue.

After this step ist finished, you may be prompted with a usb-device-finding again. Repeat the procedure by choosing the same directory "Win2k" again.

Now the AMT8 should be properly installed.

If you have not turned on your AMT8 while running Windows several times, stupid Windows sometimes doesn't recognize your USB-connected AMT8 anymore. Then you have to reinstall the drivers, and it is good to keep the files handy.

Besides from that it runs pretty well (no problems, have had it for seven years now).

A last thing: If you are using Cubase with the AMT8 and encountering problems, you should read this MIDI-related troubleshooting-guide (you may have to move some files around in your cubase-directory): PC Windows MIDI port configuration and troubleshooting :: Knowledge Base :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

Hope it works!
Grandpa
Old 30th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 

BTW, these instructions are valid for the Unitor 8 II as well.

Would I be correct in assuming that trying to run the AMT8 or Unitor8II on Windows Vista is a lost cause? Not that I have plans for this in the immediate future...
Old 30th August 2007
  #4
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Would I be correct in assuming that trying to run the AMT8 or Unitor8II on Windows Vista is a lost cause?
I prefer no to worry about these things at the moment, but it certainly has to be kept in mind. I think that Emagic/Apple won't update the driver to work with Vista. Since i didn't check this, i might be wrong... but it seems likely.

By the way:
My music computer works well enough with XP...
i don't see any reason in upgrading to Vista at the moment.
Old 30th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
You know, that whole Plug and Play thing that Microsoft was selling hard (along with 32 bit protected memory space) with Windows 95 just never came to fruition. Monkeying around with drivers, IRQ ports, DMA (yea I remember having to do that as late as Windows 2000 Pro) is very anti-plug and play. Not to be Mac vs PC, but my Unitor 8 just WORKED when I plugged it into my Macbook Pro. No drivers, no configuring, no dialogue. It just appeared in my Audio & Midi settings.

I'd have thought that by XP/Vista microsoft would have gotten better about that. I actually had to install a driver in XP to get my Onyx 400F working. OS X was just plug in, and go. Loading the Onyx Control panel was helpful, but not required at all.
Old 14th December 2008
  #6
Gear Head
 

I don't know if anyone's still reading this, but here goes:

I have a Unitor 8 MkII that I had been running on my previous computer. I just bought a PC for music and want to use my Unitor on it. The original disk that came with my Unitor did not have USB drivers for Windows on it (yeah, I bought it that long ago!). I must have downloaded drivers for it when Emagic was still a company, and they worked. So now, I downloaded the drivers from Apple's site as above. However, my computer is not recognizing them. Every time I enter the name of the folder that the drivers are in, it says "there are no drivers in that folder" or something like that. What am I doing wrong?
reflex
Old 24th July 2009
  #7
Gear Head
 

Help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Hi,

You need the file unidrv227.zip from:
Index of /Apple_Support_Area/emagic/Driver_Files/Windows

This is the ONLY windows-driver existing for the AMT8 and, since Apple bought Emagic.

Unpack the file. You will notice that there are no explicit drivers for Windows XP. Use the ones for Win 2000, they will work (at least they work for my AMT8 under Windows XP SP2).

The following works for the USB-connection:
Go to the device manager, click on the unknown usb-device (amt8), reinstall driver. Now click "install from list" and choose the directory "Win2k" for the drivers to use. When windows asks, if its ok to install the unknown driver, continue.

After this step ist finished, you may be prompted with a usb-device-finding again. Repeat the procedure by choosing the same directory "Win2k" again.

Now the AMT8 should be properly installed.

If you have not turned on your AMT8 while running Windows several times, stupid Windows sometimes doesn't recognize your USB-connected AMT8 anymore. Then you have to reinstall the drivers, and it is good to keep the files handy.

Besides from that it runs pretty well (no problems, have had it for seven years now).

A last thing: If you are using Cubase with the AMT8 and encountering problems, you should read this MIDI-related troubleshooting-guide (you may have to move some files around in your cubase-directory): PC Windows MIDI port configuration and troubleshooting :: Knowledge Base :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH

Hope it works!
Grandpa

I Just got a second hand AMT8! downloaded the latest drivers from the Apple website from the link above, only problem is still that everything goes well untill I run Cubase sx 3 which just won't see the AMT device:(
HOW CAN THIS BE?! I just made a copy of the other Steinberg link so I'm definetly going to check out that but maybe someone allready knows what I'm doing wrong

Thanks
Old 23rd October 2009
  #8
Gear Head
 

so is there a workaround to use the amt8 under windows 7 ?
Old 12th January 2010
  #9
Gear Head
 

Question Windows 7 drivers for AMT8?

Old 12th January 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I still remember reading the Unitor 8 mkII manual how this investment would continue to be useful for many years to come.... It wasn't a cheap interface (cost me almost $1k).

Fortunately I now have a Mac so I can still use it and program it from that, but it's dead in the water for anything after Windows XP on the PC. I remember tracking down the original German manufacturer who designed the Unitor series for Emagic, but I never got a an asnwer back from them when I wrote them.

Unless some generous soul decides to reverse engineer the original driver (fat chance!), the only way to use this series on the PC with Vista or Windows 7 is either as dumb interfaces with patches (programming them from XP and then switching them with Program Changes or the "Click In" jack) or keep an old XP computer around to run it and pipe your MIDI via LAN to that computer (like MidiOverLan, IP-MIDI or maybe Steinberg's VST System Link(?)).

Alternatively, of course, you could buy a Mac, which is what this situation is all about in the end...
Old 12th January 2010
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
Alternatively, of course, you could buy a Mac, which is what this situation is all about in the end...
...or install OSX on your PC

Are there probably some generic drivers which work with the amt8 ?
Old 12th January 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
...or install OSX on your PC

Are there probably some generic drivers which work with the amt8 ?
On the PC? No. The whole series is natively supported in OS X on a Mac... or an iHack
Old 13th January 2010
  #13
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
the only way to use this series on the PC with Vista or Windows 7 is either as dumb interfaces with patches (programming them from XP and then switching them with Program Changes or the "Click In" jack)
In that scenario, you can only use it between external midi devices - you can't send midi from your computer sequencer, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
...or keep an old XP computer around to run it and pipe your MIDI via LAN to that computer (like MidiOverLan, IP-MIDI or maybe Steinberg's VST System Link(?)).
In theory, one could have the AMT8 installed on an installation of XP running in a virtual machine on the DAW, and then use some midi over lan solution. The latency might suffer though. (And the DAW performance would suffer as well, having to simultaneously run a virtual machine...)
Old 13th January 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflake View Post
In that scenario, you can only use it between external midi devices - you can't send midi from your computer sequencer, right?
Right. You'd need hardware MIDI from your computer to the AMT/Unitor. But if you don't do much multi-channel multi-timbral work from each external device, you can at least access 8 of them that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflake View Post
In theory, one could have the AMT8 installed on an installation of XP running in a virtual machine on the DAW, and then use some midi over lan solution. The latency might suffer though. (And the DAW performance would suffer as well, having to simultaneously run a virtual machine...)
Good idea! With > 4-core CPUs coming, it might make some sense to do that. If you:

- Use a totally streamlined XP install, stripping everything you don't need out of it.
- Limit access to USB to one specific port where the Unitor is connected.
- Setup virtual networking for the midi-lan solution
- Limit the VM to 1 core.
- Limit the VM scope to strict essentials.

It just might be workable. Actually I think OS X can run in a VM too, but it's not condoned by Apple. And 12-cores are around the corner...
Old 15th January 2010
  #15
Gear nut
 

It is rare that you can run hardware in emulated environment. Better if you're going to continue using the equipment and not update (I don't recommend this) is to get a short 1U case with a computer dedicated to old hardware that runs on the supported operating system. It might be more immediately cost effective seeing as you can get old servers for next to nothing.

However one still has to take into account that it's something else that must be powered and there is additional cost involved there (and hassle).
Old 15th January 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Charlie-O's Avatar
 

YAY!!!!!!! MY MT4 IS WORKING AGIN..... This thread bought it back to life.........
Old 15th January 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
esaias's Avatar
 

Old 19th February 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Demokid's Avatar
 

Old 22nd February 2010
  #19
Gear Head
 

Old 22nd February 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
joris de man's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
Right. You'd need hardware MIDI from your computer to the AMT/Unitor. But if you don't do much multi-channel multi-timbral work from each external device, you can at least access 8 of them that way.


Good idea! With > 4-core CPUs coming, it might make some sense to do that. If you:

- Use a totally streamlined XP install, stripping everything you don't need out of it.
- Limit access to USB to one specific port where the Unitor is connected.
- Setup virtual networking for the midi-lan solution
- Limit the VM to 1 core.
- Limit the VM scope to strict essentials.

It just might be workable. Actually I think OS X can run in a VM too, but it's not condoned by Apple. And 12-cores are around the corner...
I did this for a while and it served me well.
Had my main machine on 64 bit and a slave machine still on 32 bit (xp).
So I hooked up the unitor to the xp slave , and used midioverlan to connect from the main machine to the slave.
Works a treat, latency is neglible/non existent and gave it another lease of life for another year or so

Cheers,

Joe

ps: if your slave machine needs a utillity to route midi over lan to different unitor ports, use the free program midi-ox.
Old 22nd February 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joris de man View Post
ps: if your slave machine needs a utillity to route midi over lan to different unitor ports, use the free program midi-ox.
Or the also free, limited but simpler to use, Musiclab MIDI Connection Center.
Old 31st March 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
jrakarl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
Right. You'd need hardware MIDI from your computer to the AMT/Unitor. But if you don't do much multi-channel multi-timbral work from each external device, you can at least access 8 of them that way.
...
I'm using an Opcode 128X this way. The Gibson provided drivers don't allow me to select the 128X from the list - it defaults to the 64X. So I get some ability to use it via my Layla 24/96 midi ports. It's not very satisfactory but it does allow me to keep using the Opcode kit.

I was thinking about buying the Unitor 8 (came up on eBay! duh!) but now I'm thinking of giving it a miss. I'm just hoping that midi is going to stick around a while longer to keep us 'hardware' synthesists in a job.. or at least a hobby!

I've also got this link...
Index of /Apple_Support_Area/emagic/Driver_Files/Windows
Old 9th April 2010
  #23
Gear interested
 

Old 15th April 2010
  #24
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphff View Post
Are these for real? Anyone try them? Amt8 windows 7 driver - Rapidshare files
I lost hope on my AMT8 & Windows 7, so I've already taken the plunge and bought an ESI M8U XL. Haven't installed it yet though...
Old 16th April 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 
jrakarl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
You know, that whole Plug and Play thing that Microsoft was selling hard (along with 32 bit protected memory space) with Windows 95 just never came to fruition. . . . .

I'd have thought that by XP/Vista microsoft would have gotten better about that. I actually had to install a driver in XP to get my Onyx 400F working. OS X was just plug in, and go. Loading the Onyx Control panel was helpful, but not required at all.
I can only concur.I have an Opcode 128X interface that doesn't even play with XP (can't select 128X from the drop-down interface list, provided by the Gobson driver) so I wonder if I could stand any chance with Windows 7! At least you guys are talking USB.. the 128X has a standard serial interface cable.. mmmm Any good news about this interface would be most welcome.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #26
Gear maniac
 

Just to note here.

The AMT8 works flawlessly under Linux. It has worked out the box on various distributions I have tried. No need to install drivers.

And just to add further. AMT8 does not work on OSX unless you install Logic but then again I ditched Logic years ago. I just want to change the patching. I guess I'll have to try to find the Windows driver and hook up an old windows drive.

I don't use Windows or Apple for audio production anymore. Issues like this being a perfect example of why.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux View Post
Just to note here.

The AMT8 works flawlessly under Linux. It has worked out the box on various distributions I have tried. No need to install drivers.
Yes, also on 64Bit Linux... But unfortunately Alsa doesn't work on Windows (Afaik). Have the same problem with my AMT8 and must switch in the near feature to another Windows 64Bit supported midi-interface.
Old 15th February 2011
  #28
Gear interested
 

AMT8 drivers

OK
After being driven mad by trying to search for drivers for the Emagic AMT8..
pouring over forums and detracting myself with interesting geeky comments as well..I found the drivers...
RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland

tested on my PC windows XP...working.....
the files have no installer but its easy to point the hardware wizard at the unpacked inf files and success!!...
Im sure most people have moved on to bigger and better but i use my old pc for testing purposes when i am repairing equipment,, and its a good interface for routing and testing.....

cheers
Chaz
Old 16th February 2011
  #29
Gear Head
 

You could have just posted here and I (or someone else here) could've sent you the old Windows XP 32-bit drivers.

So they are now hard to find on the web?
Old 3rd June 2011
  #30
Gear interested
 
straypacket's Avatar
 

Blueflake,

Yeah, the only link I've found that works is the RapidShare link.

I do have an additional question though - regarding Unitor MkII on a Macbook Pro (2011 vintage), can I just use the driver located here: Unitor Family Driver 2.5 ?

Or do I actually need Logic installed to make use of the Unitor MkII?

If so, will the "consumer" version of Logic work? Or do I need the Pro version?

Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
matt thomas / Music Computers
21
DirkB / Music Computers
7
nuway1 / Low End Theory
12
antiguru / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dutchmuzik / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.