New Reply
Subscribe
ONDRAY
26th July 2007
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

HD NOT STARTING!!!

I'm sure the subject title says enogh.

So I have a Rocstor - Rocpro 800-AVk Firewire HD with 300GB. It supports 800FW, 400DW & USB.

When I turn it on using either connection the green lite goes on, then after about 5sec you can hear that the HD starts spining. Then you can hear a louder then usual click sound simutaneously with the lite changing to red(orange) which usually means the HD is being accessed. and goes on to repeat the pattern , but not exacltly the same.

the hard drive never mounts. I've tried it on a Powerbook G4 1.5ghz & a MacPro intel 2.33GHZ. i've used this HD for about 3 years now.

so should I stop trying, it's now the 6th attempt and I've tried using all the different connectors. still no mounty mounty

any thoughts
26th July 2007
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Did u try mounting it manually? Go to Disk Utility (Finder->Applications->Utilities->Disk Utilities) and give it a shot, if you haven't already.
26th July 2007
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

how do you mount it manually? I went to disk utility, but it doesn't see the drive.
ONDRAY
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

anyone know of a good scandisk software. I can't mount my drive, I think it's F$CKed.

Suggestions pls..
nic
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
nic
Gear interested

Do you have other firewire devices? Are they working?

EDIT: Oops I should have read the OP more carefully. It sounds like it is a goner what with the loud clicks...
ONDRAY
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

that's not what I wanted to hear.

I'll give techtools a chance before I send it to a recovery place. anyone use it before with luck?
nic
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
nic
Gear interested

ONDRAY
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

I got TECh TOOL PRO 4 from a buddy. Have you heard anything bad on this app. I've done some forum digging and there's some bad and good on it. I'll check the above out. thanks.
ONDRAY
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

okay so neither of the above applications even detected my HD...

But the good news is, I said screw it to the warranty sticker. Ripped the HD out of the ext. case, connected it to an old P4 I have here not doing much. and BAM, the thing worked no problem. So the issue is in the HD Case.

ah, now to back 300GB onto DVD, until Fri. when i pick up a new drive. I'm going RAID Mirror this time. This is my 3rd HD crash scare and I've had enough.
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Matteran Send a message via MSN to Matteran
You could just get an external enclosure: Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I'm sure it's the just chip that converts IDE to USB and everything. I'd also suggest just getting a new one because of the loud noises.

Did the noises sound like a marble was dropping or something? If so, then the drive is pretty much gone, but may have a little still left in it.

But yeah, it might not be a bad idea to just grab an enclosure along with a new drive just to keep the (near) dead one still operable in needed.
ONDRAY
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

ya, i'm getting a new drive. this is the 3rd scare with the same drive. Now I'm sure it was always a chip set problem, but all the off/on/off/on I'm sure didn't help the drive.

any recommendation. My buddy got a glyph drive, I think they're overpriced. plus his completly died on him just after a year, needles to say Glyph didn't do anything for him.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search