Managing takes in PT
max cooper
19th July 2007
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Managing takes in PT

I know we've had a thread about this but I couldn't find it.

How do you guys manage your takes in PT?

Do you just stack up takes or do you use playlists or just in general, what's your method?

Just trying to streamline my workflow.

I'm mostly talking about single track takes like voc. overdubs.

thanks
19th July 2007
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

I use both multi takes stacked up (all muted except for the one I'm recording) and also playlist recording as well. Both are pretty good. The first one, you don't have to keep pulling parts up/down pressing solo/mute all the time but you get an exact picture of what you've got since all the tracks are visible.

The playlist way is pretty easy since you just keep jumping from take to take while in the same spot... easier on the fingers... ehe
19th July 2007
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

I always use playlists for vocal tracks. and put an empty track for comping below. That way I can easily grab keeper stuff as it happens.
19th July 2007
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
easier on the fingers... ehe
i wish there's a keycommand for switching takes in playlists... or is there?
19th July 2007
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

I use playlists, then create new tracks for each one to audition them and an empty track for comping. I also make notes in the comments section while tracking (these phrases were good, fade breath at this time, etc.) It gets kinda crowded, tho, I really wish the comments section was "playlist dependent." I use the comments section a lot...
19th July 2007
Old 19th July 2007
Gear interested

I just use one track to record then create a bunch of playback tracks to drag and store them on. I found it to be a pain not to be able to visualise and jump around to all the takes in the playlists. It would be nice if PT could adopt what Soundtrack Pro2 uses for its takes where you can see all the takes below the main track and fade in/out of the different takes to do the comp. Sweet....

Best,
Rog
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search