Setting up a keyboard in Cubase
New Reply
Subscribe
Hope209
14th July 2007
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Setting up a keyboard in Cubase

My friend is letting me borrow his Motif ES keyboard but I'm having trouble setting it up in Cubase. I have a USB cable running from the Motif to my computer. I created a MIDI track in Cubase and set its input to the Motif Port 1. I press a button on the motif and the meter will move in Cubase so I know its connected right. I also know MIDI doesn't play audio, but how do I route it so I can hear the audio (im pretty new to cubase)? I also downloaded Yamaha's Studio Manager and Multi-Part Editor which allows you to go thru the motif's library from within cubase.
14th July 2007
Old 14th July 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Red_venom
Set the output to the Motif too? Then make sure you have an audio track with the inputs that Motif is using.

You basically need it so that you hit a key on the Motif and it sends data to Cubase, Cubase will send it back and trigger the Motif as well. To accomplish this you need Midi going in and out AND the audio out from the motif connected to your interface/soundcard.
Hope209
14th July 2007
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

I've never tried running a keyboard USB before, I used to run the MIDI ins/outs and two stereo 1/4'' into a preamp. Does a USB provide MIDI info AND audio? All the VST connections stuff is a bit confusing. How do I access the yamaha multi-part editor from within Cubase? Thanks for the help!
14th July 2007
Old 14th July 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to andyspiller
Firstly, Do you have the correct USB Driver

Download - Yamahasynth.com

Secondly in Utility check that the Control/Midi Input selector is allocated to USB and the direction is in/out (I am presuming that this feature is the same as the Motif XS - if not I apologise).

3rdly you need to be in Song Mode for the Motif to react multitimbrally.

|The quickest way to do this is to create a song and make the program change/Mix data in the song and simply label the sequencer Tracks with the appropriate channels.

Once you have completed your Song Data Selection Bulk Dump the data into Cubase (Although if you are using SX Version 2 or below this will likely crash Cubase).

Alternatively you can control the ES with a setup bar including GM On although this is likely to reset the FX Insert Switches to a default Channel Setting of 1-8.

Another alternative is to load Studio Manager and see how you get on with that.

Monitor on headphones to check this is working correctly.

UNless you want to record the audio into Cubase (Why do you want to do this?) monitor this through your speaker system normally, or record it to a 2 track Master
(CD/DAT/ o whatever).
Hope209
15th July 2007
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Got the latest driver, multi-part editor, and the Studio Manager (can't remember the name, but its something like this right?). What I want to do is control the Motif from within Cubase with my little M-Audio controller. I won't be tracking/recording in the Motif, but rather want to access its samples on-the-fly.

Since the Motif is connected via USB, in Utilitiy I set it to 'USB.' So open up the Studio Manager, Add the multi-part editor....and then what in Cubase? Sorry for such annoying questions, really appreciate the help!
16th July 2007
Old 16th July 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to andyspiller
email me - It may be easier
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search