Anyone using a rack computer case instead of a tower case?
fatcatmusic
Thread Starter
#1
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #1
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Anyone using a rack computer case instead of a tower case?

Is Rack case quieter than a tower case? Interms of vibration/ mechanical noise?
#2
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
bobx's Avatar
i've been using a rack case for the past couple of years now. i don't think one is quieter than the other, i think it just depends on what kind of cooling fans you are using in them. i replaced all the stock fans with some high performance low db ones and it's whisper quiet.
#3
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #3
Gear addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhopefield View Post
i've been using a rack case for the past couple of years now. i don't think one is quieter than the other, i think it just depends on what kind of cooling fans you are using in them. i replaced all the stock fans with some high performance low db ones and it's whisper quiet.
Yep, I have a rack mount PC as well, with Zalman fans, it's fairly quiet but nothing you couldn't do with a tower as well.

John
#4
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #4
Gear maniac
 
Chris Williams's Avatar
 

I'm currently using a rack case and have been using a tower for years.

It's not the case that makes it quiet, it's the compenents.

Graphics card and Power supply are the noisest depending on what models you get.

You can add a ton of fans, grab a zalmann fan control and turn themall to the slowst setting which will be near in audible, but if you have a noisey psu or gfx card then you're still going to suffer.

For psu I always go with seasonics as they are rock solid and still very quiet. You could go with a water cooling kit for the rest of your components, including a gfx card if you're brave enough to mod it yourself and grab a couple of silent hd housings aswell.

If your rack is ina machine room you have no problems anyway but I'm sure a whole thread could be made just on the individual steps needed to make a silent pc.

There'sa nice lil site called Quiet PC-Quiet PC Hardware-Quiet PC Components-Quiet PC Zalman Products well worth checking out.
#5
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 

yeah ive got a rollyour own system in a rack... nothing to add to the previous posts though.... like they said it's about the components you chose...
#6
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 

How did you guys deal with the CPU cooling fans?
I bought some Zalman CPU coolers for my (now dated) dual opteron system.
Looks way more complicated than I expected.
I might have to take it to someone to switch them out.
#7
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
 

I use the Antec 4U rack cases for all our workstations. They are not as quiet as a good tower case, but we put them in the mechanical room. The reason we like them is because there is lots of room, especially for these long as$ Digi cards.

Regards,
Bruce
#8
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Not here. i've thought of racking my G4 tower, but nah. The XServes are simply overkill for studios and WAAAAY TOOO LOUD!
#9
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #9
Gear maniac
 
Chris Williams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
How did you guys deal with the CPU cooling fans?
I bought some Zalman CPU coolers for my (now dated) dual opteron system.
Looks way more complicated than I expected.
I might have to take it to someone to switch them out.
It looks complicated but it's quite simple really. Do a good search online through some of the overcloker forums and you'll soon find some tutorials with pictures of how to swap out your cpu coolers.

Make sure you have some new thermal paste to hand, artic silver for preference and make sure you clean the old thermal paste from cpu before you attatch the new cooler (q-tips are good but be gentle!).
#10
12th July 2007
Old 12th July 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
It looks complicated but it's quite simple really. Do a good search online through some of the overcloker forums and you'll soon find some tutorials with pictures of how to swap out your cpu coolers.

Make sure you have some new thermal paste to hand, artic silver for preference and make sure you clean the old thermal paste from cpu before you attatch the new cooler (q-tips are good but be gentle!).

Thanks for the info Chris!
They've been sitting around unused for way too long now.
The only thing that makes huge noise in my 4u Antec case are those dang stock CPU coolers.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
casey_outlaw / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
cherrymusic / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
7
steveH / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
deuc647 / Music Computers
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.