Distressor Plugin Anyone?
New Reply
Subscribe
BigJunk
29th May 2007
Old 29th May 2007
Gear addict

Distressor Plugin Anyone?

there are a lot of hardware emulations going on but I haven't seen any Distressor plugins. I have one coming on loan and I'm really excited to use it. Steven Slate told me he used one on a lot of the snare samples on his sample CD so I'm curious to play around with it on drums. But since now I mix all in the box it would be cool to have an emulation. Does anyone know if there is one in the works? Maybe UAD or Waves?
Junk
29th May 2007
Old 29th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

which emulation that the distressor does do you want your emulation to emulate? do you want the distressor 1176 emulation, or maybe the LA2a, how about the brit mod which is supposed to be an emulation of an 1176 with all the buttons in?
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
which emulation that the distressor does do you want your emulation to emulate? do you want the distressor 1176 emulation, or maybe the LA2a, how about the brit mod which is supposed to be an emulation of an 1176 with all the buttons in?
Personally I would want a dedicated DSP outboard box to run that emulation in for more power
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
there are a lot of hardware emulations going on but I haven't seen any Distressor plugins. I have one coming on loan and I'm really excited to use it. Steven Slate told me he used one on a lot of the snare samples on his sample CD so I'm curious to play around with it on drums. But since now I mix all in the box it would be cool to have an emulation. Does anyone know if there is one in the works? Maybe UAD or Waves?
Junk
Thats a really good idea for sure.

I also wonder what combination or plugs have people used to come close to getting the distressor sound. That would be neat to share... hint hint
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Gear maniac

If you crank the crap out of RVox, it'll kind of sort of do the nuke thing on drum room mics.
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear

McDSP compressor bank is the closest I've heard to a Distressor. Only because it has so many parameters and it will distort like a be-atch.

I'm talking about the typical distressor "tracking" sound that most people use which is 3:1, 4:1, 6:1, yada yada...

I usually go anywhere between 3:1 and 5:1 with the knee between -2 and -6 (hard knee). Fast attack times between 1ms and 10ms usually work the best for this. The release on the compressor bank isn't quite there in my opinion which is why I just use real distressors. The distressor's release is magical. Also, you can't go too far with the McDSP stuff because the GR meters are deceiving. It looks like you are knocking it back a couple dB when you are actually killing it by 15 or more!

My $0.02. Keep in mind that I don't have a lot of the newest plug since I'm still on PT 5.1.3.

-Aaron
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah distressor is a hard one to nail because it's such a chameleon. Most people seem to like it mostly for its 1176/4 button squash.

Only plug that even remotely "distressed" me in this way is the free Digitalfishphones Blockfish. Does things to drums that no other plugin does. Try "complex mode" on a room mic. And don't forget to "flip it over" to fine tune the sidechain and air parameters. Really a great plug, definitely worth it
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
psp vintagewarmer..

150 bucks..
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
Junk
i remember using a distressor before in a pro studio and too was looking for a distressor type sound plugin and in logic i recently turned to the silver compressor with fast attack and fast release times and very low threshold and the sound is great...can't remember if it's the same thing though but i'm happy with the sound!

i've heard that 'liquid mix' by focusrite has a distressor emulation!
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Gear maniac

Location: 1/2 the time in Vancouver, 1/2 the time in the states

Some of Voxengos paritcularly the marqis can sound sort of like a distressor...
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear

Airwindows compressor is pretty good for the squash thing as is the UAD Neve 3309
JPZ
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
Yeah distressor is a hard one to nail because it's such a chameleon. Most people seem to like it mostly for its 1176/4 button squash.

Only plug that even remotely "distressed" me in this way is the free Digitalfishphones Blockfish. Does things to drums that no other plugin does. Try "complex mode" on a room mic. And don't forget to "flip it over" to fine tune the sidechain and air parameters. Really a great plug, definitely worth it
Yeah, the digitalfishphones stuff is amazing. The Blockfish is one of my favorite compressors, too bad it isn't available in UB. At least I don't think it is.
30th May 2007
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
psp vintagewarmer..

150 bucks..
Yup I 2nd this as well...thumbsup
31st May 2007
Old 31st May 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Junk, I definitely did use the Distressor on some of the snares and its a great box. But keep in mind i used it very lightly, mostly 2:1, just to fatten the transient which it does well. A great plugin for this kind of sound will be the upcoming URS channel strip, I heard just a bit of it while Mike Shipley was tweaking around on some stuff and I was extremely impressed.
SSD Drum Suite now Available for DOWNLOAD!!
40 WORLD CLASS DRUMKITS FOR RTAS/VST/AU
www.slatedigital.com
DOWNLOAD NEW TRIGGER DEMO!
www.slateproaudio.com
31st May 2007
Old 31st May 2007
Lives for gear

How about Smack?
It has a lot of the same parameters as a distressor...not 100% the same, but a very similar vibe....good for crushing rooms/intense vox/or making snares go pinG!
-Brian
31st May 2007
Old 31st May 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
Yup I 2nd this as well...thumbsup
Looks like I may have to check this out more.

Hows it sound on a snare? I mean comparing it to a distressor that is.
If I can get somthing thats close since I mix ITB, that would rock.
31st May 2007
Old 31st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatural View Post
How about Smack?
It has a lot of the same parameters as a distressor...not 100% the same, but a very similar vibe....good for crushing rooms/intense vox/or making snares go pinG!
-Brian
no no no no no.

just my opinion

smack isnt even in the same solar system.

in fact, no plug i have ever tried is close to the best that the distressor can do, in my opinion.

YMMV
31st May 2007
Old 31st May 2007
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:

I don't know. I never A/B them, but the VW is coloring a lot, and adds a nice distortion (not like fuzzbox of course) to the sound. it's easy to overuse this pluggo and you end up with a smeary and undefined sound.

the distressor is a total "diffrent" sound, because it's hardware (like Paul Friendl said: "analog works with levels, digital with samples".

cheers
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
31st May 2007
Old 31st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowvt View Post

With VW you can mimic the sound of the Distressor, but obviously it's not the same thing, what makes it difficult too, is that the Distressor sounds a bit different on all it's different ratios... The VW keeps more or less the same sound, but you just get more compression. The Distressor can stay clean if you don't use the distortion modes while the VW always add some colouring... but most people that use the distressor are mostly aiming for the colouring anyway.

VW sounds great on drums IMHO. Just as with the Distressor it's easy to overdo it.
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
Gear maniac

Thanks for the info. guys.

Didnt mean to hijack the guys thread but I guess I may end up buying a distressor. I've tried tons of combos to get that modern day snare sound (Anything Andy Sneap does basically... As I lay Dying, the latest Job for a cowboy, etc...) and still nothing compares. Now im not sure he does use a distressor but have a hunch. I wish I could rent one to check it out but this is Vermont ....
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
hanks for the info. guys.

Didnt mean to hijack the guys thread but I guess I may end up buying a distressor. I've tried tons of combos to get that modern day snare sound (Anything Andy Sneap does basically... As I lay Dying, the latest Job for a cowboy, etc...) and still nothing compares. Now im not sure he does use a distressor but have a hunch. I wish I could rent one to check it out but this is Vermont
I am sure everything is samples (100%), maybe his own samplelibrary.

there is a sneap drumagog file out there for toms, kick and snare.

check em.

then you will know that it's not about owning a distressor.

cheers
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I am sure everything is samples (100%), maybe his own samplelibrary.

there is a sneap drumagog file out there for toms, kick and snare.

check em.

then you will know that it's not about owning a distressor.

cheers

Ya... i have the sneap samples. They are good for sure.
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

just my ...

meaby you giv the w.... rencomp a try ist a really chameleon so i used its sometimes as dbx or as whatever you need but there a lot emus out there so you have just too catch the right on if you

try n try n try ..........
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to lozion
What about a Massey Tapehead/BF76 or MC77 combo?
works for me...
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

use all options you got too make the best result you can

if a massey can do this iam not shure i use it not often yed.

the bombfactory plugs make me not lucks but i the right chain can it be good enouth

too work .
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowvt View Post
Thanks for the info. guys.

Didnt mean to hijack the guys thread but I guess I may end up buying a distressor. I've tried tons of combos to get that modern day snare sound (Anything Andy Sneap does basically... As I lay Dying, the latest Job for a cowboy, etc...) and still nothing compares. Now im not sure he does use a distressor but have a hunch. I wish I could rent one to check it out but this is Vermont ....
If you do buy a distressor, it's a great compressor. Even if it doesn't give you the snare sound you're after I am sure it'll give you other uses (it works on many sources, not just drums). If you can afford one easily, then don't hesitate, if you don't have much to spend, try at least the VW demo, you might like it. I think it does work great on snare too. Sometimes I prefer the distressor and sometimes I prefer VW (the benefit of using VW is that you don't have to do a converter roundtrip which does affect the sound, a little, but noticably)

Well try the VW demo anyway... you got nothing to loose... (don't forget to play around with saturation controls on the 'back' of the plugin). Nice thing of the VW is that it's multiband and it has seperate saturation controls for all 3 bands...
1st June 2007
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post

niiiice. I want to **** with my room mic compression setup,and this sounds like an ideal move to try.you can sidechain out the lows from the kick from being compressed in blockfish? that's the secret to squashing rooms real well IMO.

The Rvox tip was great too..never thought of that one.
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
use all options you got too make the best result you can

if a massey can do this iam not shure i use it not often yed.

the bombfactory plugs make me not lucks but i the right chain can it be good enouth

too work .
ummm....what? haha
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

The Distressor is a many splendored animal ... particularly if you have
the British Mod.

The closest thing I've found to it is the new Hybrid Compressor
from Waves. Turn the "punch" knob up to about 10 o'clock and
it sounds almost exactly like a Distressor.

BTW, "punch" is the magic knob on the Hybrid ...

jeff
8th July 2009
Old 8th July 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
Well try the VW demo anyway...
Would love to check out this "VW". Excuse my ignorance, but that is "VW" If I search google for that we all know what we get.

TIA...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search