Post Your MacBook Temps
JonCraig
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Post Your MacBook Temps

This might be the hottest I've seen mine run. Googlage shows mixed messages about how hot is too hot. Below is a screenshot from earlier today... I was burning DVDs, exporting a QT movie, and misc other apps open (safari, mail, etc.). I work in lid-down mode w/ external monitor & whatnot.

What about you guys? And how hot is too hot?

--jon
Attached Thumbnails
Post Your MacBook Temps-temp.jpg  
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear
it's only too hot if something melts..

interesting topic, shame i don't have a macbook yet!
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Gear Head

I've never run my macbook pro in "lid down" mode. what was that app exactly measuring. i'm interested.
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

what app is that? where can I find it?
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Lid down mode.. are you kidding me? The keyboard is a huge way the Macbook vents heat! Exposing your lcd to all of that heat is bad and also bad on your computer. Clogging a major vent on any piece of gear is going to cause extra heat. Don't get mad when your computer or lcd get ruined.
JonCraig
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyBeach View Post
I've never run my macbook pro in "lid down" mode. what was that app exactly measuring. i'm interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
what app is that? where can I find it?
it's the dashboard widget istat nano. available here: iSlayer.com

very cool app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Lid down mode.. are you kidding me? The keyboard is a huge way the Macbook vents heat! Exposing your lcd to all of that heat is bad and also bad on your computer. Clogging a major vent on any piece of gear is going to cause extra heat. Don't get mad when your computer or lcd get ruined.
i've seen the same temps w/ lid up. the mb fan is blowing out the rear exhaust vents, so i don't see it as an issue. i have a 19" external monitor, and i can't imagine editing on the macbook screen, nor with the mb keyboard. of course, i could run the macbook open, still w/ external monitor, keyboard, & mouse, but my desk doesn't have the room for macbook, monitor, hard drives, interface, monitors & monitor controller. it's also recognized as a valid way to work by apple, for whatever that's worth ;-)

and don't worry, i won't get mad. i'll just get another mac .

--jon
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post

Actually no the vents are out the back and done through forced air (aka fan). The case though is part of the design in heat exchange why they use aluminium. It should still be able to vent with no problems out the back though the fans may ran faster.

I can say with the lid open and when this machine is working it is way to hot to put on your lap and touching it is very hot.
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear
laptops initially were designed to have the heat absorbed by your body,.. through your lap.

Which is why most of the vents are either on the bottom or back.

20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Noodles- View Post
laptops initially were designed to have the heat absorbed by your body,.. through your lap.

Used to be great on my old Dell when my apartment would be ice cold in the winter. Sucks in the summer though. The mac is in a whole other league though.

JonCraig
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i don't think so... when laptops were initially designed, heat wasn't a factor. the first mac portable (called, oddly, "mac portable" ) ran at a blistering 16 MHz 68000 processor, and weighed 15.8 lbs(!). i don't think i want that heavy beast in my lap for too long, nor does that processor create much heat. i had several macs in the 680x0 time, and never even saw a heat sink until PowerPC chips & my 6100/66.

apple does recommend that if you're using the macbook for an extended period of time, place it on a hard, flat surface (a la desk) so some of the heat can be radiated below.

--jon
JonCraig
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

ps. i got up to 198 degrees F last night. c'mon... who's mixing ITB and has some temp screenshots?

--jon
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Gear nut

20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

No offense but that's just silly.

VENTS are designed to increase airflow. If they are blocked (as by one's lap) the hot air builds up inside the unit.

If a unit was designed, somehow, to use the user's body as a form of heatsink, you would want to couple it to the body for greater heatflow -- but since the body is a SOURCE of heat and typically much warmer than anything around it (in normal environments) it would be a very poor choice for a heat sink...

Now, if people were NOT heat sources, were made out of a highly heat conductive materail and maybe had COOLING FINS... then maybe...

The brain. It's God's gift. Use it.

_________

BTW... with these internal temps I've seen listed, I'm assuming the fan is on full blast... The MacBook I've used is a bit noisy when the fan kicks in (as I've seen it do just playing an AAC)... Has the added noise been an issue?
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
No offense but that's just silly.

VENTS are designed to increase airflow. If they are blocked (as by one's lap) the hot air builds up inside the unit.

If a unit was designed, somehow, to use the user's body as a form of heatsink, you would want to couple it to the body for greater heatflow -- but since the body is a SOURCE of heat and typically much warmer than anything around it (in normal environments) it would be a very poor choice for a heat sink...

Now, if people were NOT heat sources, were made out of a highly heat conductive materail and maybe had COOLING FINS... then maybe...

The brain. It's God's gift. Use it.

_________

BTW... with these internal temps I've seen listed, I'm assuming the fan is on full blast... The MacBook I've used is a bit noisy when the fan kicks in (as I've seen it do just playing an AAC)... Has the added noise been an issue?

I think that was a joke, (hopes)
if not *shakes head in disbelief*
JonCraig
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
not too much of an issue. when it's full blast, it's definitely noticeable, but hasn't been a problem yet. of course, i used to have a G4 windtunnel below my desk... so nearly everything seems quiet

--jon
20th April 2007
Old 20th April 2007
Gear Guru

Yep... in life... everything is relative.

I replaced a really noisy fan in a tower I built on the cheap with a thermo-controlled fan and it was SO QUIET... (didn't hurt that the old fan had a BEARING going out! )

But then I got my laptop and it was like... oooh... this is quiet.

And then I bought a cheapo refurb tower (with the notion of it just being a cheap server) and turned it on. I came back a few seconds later and thought... oh shit... lights are on but no one's home... What now?!? But it was on... THAT was nice. (Big freakin' heat sink, big freakin' opening in the front o the case designed as huge intake -- and a modest CPU and GPU combination... it's not a rocket ship -- but it don't sound like one, either.)

24th September 2008
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the widget tip. I like that you can monitor the temperature in Kelvin - talk about hot!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search