Rendering MIDI to Audio - Cubase
New Reply
Subscribe
rystro
21st February 2007
Old 21st February 2007
Lives for gear

Rendering MIDI to Audio - Cubase

Probably a simple question for some, but I'm a beginner and I haven't been able to find this in my manual.

Setup: Intel Mac - Cubase 4

Once I have VSTi all setup, I've recorded the midi track, what is the quickest and most efficient way render this midi track to audio within the project and having it placed in the precise same position in the song?
21st February 2007
Old 21st February 2007
Seattle Hip-Hop Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rystro View Post
Probably a simple question for some, but I'm a beginner and I haven't been able to find this in my manual.

Setup: Intel Mac - Cubase 4

Once I have VSTi all setup, I've recorded the midi track, what is the quickest and most efficient way render this midi track to audio within the project and having it placed in the precise same position in the song?
I'm still using SX3...but I can't imagine the export options being that different in 4.

- Solo the VSTi/MIDI track you want to render (in Cubase rendering is called EXPORT).
- Set up the markers to designate what part or how much of the track you want to export.
- Go to the FILE menu and select EXPORT and in the submenu AUDIO MIXDOWN.
- An options box will open up and you will need to make several selections.
  • 1. Select the folder you want to export the audio file to. This will be the AUDIO folder within your session.
  • 2. Name the audio file. ex. KICK, SNARE, STRINGS, etc.
  • 3. Select the channels (mono, stereo, etc) bit resolution (16, 24, etc) and sampling rate (44.1, 48, etc). Normally you want to export at whatever your session is set to.
  • 4. There should be a setting, in SX3 there are 2 boxes near the bottom that you can check to IMPORT TO: POOL and AUDIO TRACK...select both of these.
  • 5. Lastly, select which OUTPUTS you would like to export through. Normally it defaults to the STEREO OUT/MASTER 2-channel bus at the top of the list, but you can select to export directly from the VSTi. If you choose to export through the MASTER bus make sure that all the effects are bypassed.

- Once you've done all that...hit OK and you should be good. Cubase will export the file and it will automatically be imported into the AUDIO POOL and will create an audio track at the bottom of the session. The audio file should be placed between the same markers that you already setup.

It sounds a little more complicated than it is. This is also the same method you will use to export your songs or beats when you are done with them, except you will need to adjust your settings accordingly.

On a sidenote...I rarely export my VSTi tracks unless the song I'm working on has alot of effects on vocal tracks and starts bogging down my CPU. I'm running a P4 with 2gb of ram and rarely have any problems. You may also want to look into using the "FREEZE" option on the VSTi list (it's the snowflake). When you click on it, it will create an audio version of that instrument track and turn the VSTi off automatically. Only problem with that is if you decide you want to edit that MIDI track you will have to un-freeze it and then re-freeze it again.

Let me know if you have anymore questions and you may also want to check out www.cubase.net That's where all the info you'll ever need is!

http://www.not2sane.com
rystro
21st February 2007
Old 21st February 2007
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Amazing response! That was very helpful!

Question on freezing the track. I guess I do not exactly understand the difference between freezing and exporting to audio. It seems like freezing is the easiest way to do it? Is freezing the same less CPU load as exporting as audio?

Secondly... when you export your entire song (drums, vocals, instruments, and midi) I thought it will not mixdown the MIDI with everything else... or I heard that its not a good idea to do so?

I have a Mac OS X - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.33ghz - 2 GB. Should I run into much CPU over load? My audio interface is the Apogee Ensemble using it's ASIO drivers.

PS
I'm scared of Cubase.net... its seems like there are a lot of bullies over there
21st February 2007
Old 21st February 2007
Lives for gear

Freezing is quicker/easier because you can instantly unfreeze it and adjust your effects as before your froze it.
21st February 2007
Old 21st February 2007
Seattle Hip-Hop Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rystro View Post
Amazing response! That was very helpful!

Question on freezing the track. I guess I do not exactly understand the difference between freezing and exporting to audio. It seems like freezing is the easiest way to do it? Is freezing the same less CPU load as exporting as audio?
Freezing is basically the same thing as exporting except that it doesn't create an audio file that can be edited within the session, the file goes into a new folder within the session folder called "FREEZE" and is controlled from the VSTi track. Freezing is the easiest way to do it, but you only want to freeze things when you're done with the entire layout of your session. That means you have all the breakdowns, changes, etc already programmed. Once you freeze an instrument, the entire MIDI track can't be edited without first un-freezing it, making the changes and then re-freezing it again. If you export an audio file and import it into the session, you have the ability to edit it and basically do whatever you would like to do to it. And YES, freezing it will reduce the CPU load just the same. That is the specific function of the freeze feature, to create an audio version of the VSTi/MIDI track and then to turn the VSTi off so it's no longer active, which will reduce your CPU load.
(*this dialog is ONLY for use with VST instruments and will not work for MIDI tracks using external hardware MIDI gear such as keyboards or modules*)

Quote:
Secondly... when you export your entire song (drums, vocals, instruments, and midi) I thought it will not mixdown the MIDI with everything else... or I heard that its not a good idea to do so?
If you are using VST instruments in your session, they can and will be mixed down and exported with your session. If you're using external MIDI hardware, they will not. You will have to track out and record those sounds individually to create audio versions of them. See, the MIDI is used 1 of 2 ways....either with VSTi's or with MIDI hardware such as sound modules or keyboards.

VSTi's DO NOT NEED TO BE TRACKED OUT, unless you're having CPU issues. I produce songs EVERYDAY and NEVER freeze or export them into the session unless I absolutely have to!

Quote:
I have a Mac OS X - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.33ghz - 2 GB. Should I run into much CPU over load? My audio interface is the Apogee Ensemble using it's ASIO drivers.
I'm running a PC with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gb of RAM and I rarely run into problems. I'm not very familiar with MAC's so somebody else may be able to answer that one for ya.

Quote:
PS
I'm scared of Cubase.net... its seems like there are a lot of bullies over there
There are a few jerks over there...but don't let that bother you. It is the best place to easily and quickly find the answers you're looking for. Some of them just get tired of noobs coming on there and asking the same questions everyday without doing a little bit of research first. Believe me...your questions have probably been asked 1000x over there. lol
rystro
22nd February 2007
Old 22nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Wow... D-Sane you have been incredibly helpful! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! thumbsup

Well I think I now have a really good grip on this so off to recording!

Thanks again everyone!
22nd February 2007
Old 22nd February 2007
Seattle Hip-Hop Legend

No problem...glad I could help you!

Now if you'll excuse me....I have some smokin' to do!

3rd May 2010
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Head

This freeze function seems indeed to be the ideal way of rendering audio to reduce cpu load. But I am wondering, does it render the audio at the currently set volume of the channel fader of the vsti? I ask this because when I need to render tracks I'm usually in a pre-mix stage where many faders are brought down a bit to fit the sounds together. In other words what I mean is: will the rendered file be at a hot enough volume if my fader is not all the way up? If not that would mean a waste of bit depth wouldn't it?
3rd May 2010
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taifun View Post
If not that would mean a waste of bit depth wouldn't it?
Hey Taifun, the simple answer to this is no.

make sure you're producing at 24bit or above and you can forget all about this 'losing bits' crap. The resolution in 24 and 32 is enormous, and as an example you would have to be at -48dbfs in 24bit to match the resolution of 16 bit... as you can see from that, there really is no reason at all to chase down every last bit.

as for Cubase, it will export the file post-Fader and post-fx slots 7&8. If you want it done otherwise, just disable the fx and put your fader at unity for the bounce.

10th May 2010
Old 10th May 2010
Gear interested

I'm REALLY new here-and actually just signed up because this thread has come really close to solving my problem-except for one little glitch. I was also wanting to convert midi tracks I have recorded into audio tracks within SX3. I have a couple of different midi tracks and I use Vir2 Kontakt but, because I'm SO new to all of this, I don't know if I can have one midi track playing a horn ensemble, and a different midi track playing a trumpet, etc. through the Kontakt player. So I learned how to freeze the midi tracks but when I listen to them, they sound much different-basically they get jumbled up and become unusable. I had a similar problem recording midi but managed to fix that but I have no idea how to freeze a midi file and keep the audio file from sounding all messed up. Thanks for any help or info-if anyone has any idea.
15th May 2010
Old 15th May 2010
Gear Head

@ Bob Dobbs: you can set the midi receive channel per instrument in your rack. So if you load 2 different sound banks (instruments) in you kontakt rack, you can set the first to receive midi on channel 1 (default) and the 2nd to channel 2 and so on. As you add instruments, I believe battery automatically assigns the next midi channel to each new instrument added. Then you can trigger the different instruments each from a separate midi track, just take care to set the correct midi channel on each trigger track.
15th May 2010
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had a similar problem recording midi but managed to fix that but I have no idea how to freeze a midi file and keep the audio file from sounding all messed up. Thanks for any help or info-if anyone has any idea.
If they sound different than they do on MIDI playback--try using the real time export function. I haven't had that issue in a long time--but, it seems like BFD 1 used to have some issues with cymbals not ringing out correctly during offline rendering. It's an instrument specific problem.

If that doesn't fix the issue for you, there's something else wrong.

You should be able to click freeze...and seconds later go about recording with that off the CPU and (depending on your choice in the dialog) unloaded from RAM. Unfreezing takes less time unless you've unloaded it from RAM--in which case it will need to reload the VI.
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010
Gear interested

MIDI drums to audio

I can see that problems with exporting MIDI to audio on Cubase are very common on these forums, but so far I haven't found an answer to my particular problem. Maybe you can help, and I apologise in advance for my 'beginner' understanding.

Setup: Cubase SX, PC.

I have successfully exported MIDI keyboard sounds to audio - that's not my problem. The problem is that I can't do it with MIDI drums. I go through all the 'Mixdown Audio' steps but the audio that then appears at the bottom of the project window is silent.

The settings on the left are as follows:

in: All MIDI inputs
out: GM Device
chn: ANY
bnk: off program: off

Can anyone make sense of this? I'd very much appreciate your help.

The Basque
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basque View Post
I can see that problems with exporting MIDI to audio on Cubase are very common on these forums, but so far I haven't found an answer to my particular problem. Maybe you can help, and I apologise in advance for my 'beginner' understanding.

Setup: Cubase SX, PC.

I have successfully exported MIDI keyboard sounds to audio - that's not my problem. The problem is that I can't do it with MIDI drums. I go through all the 'Mixdown Audio' steps but the audio that then appears at the bottom of the project window is silent.

The settings on the left are as follows:

in: All MIDI inputs
out: GM Device
chn: ANY
bnk: off program: off

Can anyone make sense of this? I'd very much appreciate your help.

The Basque
This is actually an excellent question, and although I've used Cubase for 11 years, I don't know the answer. I take it you're using the Windows wavetable sounds. They don't actually play back thru Cubase so I don't know how to route them into Cubase so you can export them

Maybe somebody will know
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
Gear maniac

In the left pane, select the "internal summing" topic and play the video.

cubase_videos

Any midi triggered sound that you can hear in Cubase can be recorded in real time.

Prado
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search