19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic brown View Post
http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/hearingloss.html

So I guess there really is no need for me to be recording my music past 44.1khz

I can barely hear at 19khz, it's very faint
Dude - no way you're cutting off that low. Try again!

I was surprised to get to 21000, and I have Tinnitus! what are you monitoring through? Above 16K or so its more feeling than hearing.
bionic brown
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear maniac

well, right hear i'm listening on some M-audio Bx5's through an E-mu 1212m, which might be the problem. Maybe I'll try when I get to my rig at home. And this computer is a little noisy too, so maybe that's it.

. . . . or you might just have super ears
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

16Mhz with laptop speakers.

Thank you
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

People should probably be careful when they're jacking the levels of test tones.

Run a series of tones across the spectrum at a set level and don't mess with the gain.

Adults who are really hearing 18 or 19 kHz should consider themselves darn lucky and probably do what they can to protect that kind of sensitivity. It doesn't tend to last forever -- even without abuse.
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Adults who are really hearing 18 or 19 kHz should consider themselves darn lucky and probably do what they can to protect that kind of sensitivity. It doesn't tend to last forever -- even without abuse.
+1 from me.
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouD. View Post
I was surprised to get to 21000, and I have Tinnitus! what are you monitoring through? Above 16K or so its more feeling than hearing.
I found my tinnitus masks anything above 12k. (could be my audio inteface isn't on and the Mac onboard D/A and Mackie mixer are killing the high frequencies. Yeah, that's it....

Anyway, most kids with perfect hearing may be lucky to hear 21k. Loud, your test is likely flawed - especially if you have tinnitus! While the online "test" is fun to try, you really need a professional to administer a hearing test. There are several variables we don't consider when trying this ourselves...
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Adults who are really hearing 18 or 19 kHz should consider themselves darn lucky and probably do what they can to protect that kind of sensitivity.
most music has a highcut at 16khz.. and really.. I dont care what's over 16khz in heavymetal :D I feel lucky not hearing it
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
16Mhz with laptop speakers.
Wow...
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

try the test with some really good isolation headphones (enn hd 280's will do).
Set the volume to where you can just distinctly hear a 1Khz tone.

Now generate a 10khz tone, should be almost inaudible...

good luck with anything past 12khz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Wow...
haha. those 16Mhz tones are so damn annoying.
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post

Anyway, most kids with perfect hearing may be lucky to hear 21k. Loud, your test is likely flawed - especially if you have tinnitus! While the online "test" is fun to try, you really need a professional to administer a hearing test. There are several variables we don't consider when trying this ourselves...
Yep - probably - I was as surprised as the next guy - super hearing is definately not one of my strong points. - I did have the A7s pretty loud...

Like I said - above 16K, it's felt more than heard - rather uncomfortable, to say the least.
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear interested

Does high-frequency threshold change dependent on time of day/night?
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouD. View Post
Yep - probably - I was as surprised as the next guy - super hearing is definately not one of my strong points. - I did have the A7s pretty loud...

Like I said - above 16K, it's felt more than heard - rather uncomfortable, to say the least.
Bad sign, my brother. Don't do that to yourself again. As someone else noted, set your level with a 1 kHz tone and don't push that too loud. And then don't touch that dial (gain) again while you're conducting your informal tests.
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
500 series nutjob

i got 17khz with the air handler running and on my small computer speakers.
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Banned

Want to hear something REALLY funny about this?

It was JimmyR and his F*CKING band Lord Tracy that cost me much of my high end hearing!
I recorded and mixed them from 1986 until 1992 and it was always LOUD!
While the band was on MCA and on tour we had an equipment rider that allowed us great sound systems.
Most of what we did was moderate sized clubs across the U.S., but because we were a label band we could get a good p.a. at most venues.
If nothing, they were LOUD!

Right after I finished mixing Lord Tracy I could hear to about 16K, but I had a LOT of tinninitus (I still do!)
That was 1992 and I still have the same monitor speakers and can only hear up to 15K, but that was fourteen years ago!

Still... it was a fun way to ruin my hearing!

Thanks Jimmy, Kinley, Chris and Terry, STILL!

How did you find Jimmy's website?
19th January 2007
Old 19th January 2007
Gear addict

i could easily hear 21k..through my hd280s and my shit computer speakers..weird i felt like i could of heard up to 24k if they had the samples on there
i could JUST hear 15 hz

im 17 years old so maybe that explains it
byk
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
byk
Gear maniac

Are you guys serious? I am 29 and I hear very clearly all of them (22K included).

Please don't think I am bragging: my point is that this test must be flawed somehow...

Cheers

20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

i could hear them all, but they're annoying and bother in the ears when you get to the highs.
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
one man, ONE mic pre
without a level reference and caibrated monitoring, what's the POINT of this?
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

from 15hz to 21 khz...no prob but i really cant hear 22 khz at all.I am 27 btw.

Monitored on headphones:Sennheiser Hd580Precision. @-6dbu. ( it was painfull.....)
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Somewhere around 17k for me. Doubt it's accurate, my hearing is pretty shot. Rockin' out without earplugs feels so good, yet kills so much.
bionic brown
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
without a level reference and caibrated monitoring, what's the POINT of this?
it's just something fun to do bro, not trying to have an olympic contest here
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
500 series nutjob

agree its just fun
the speakers i listen through have no tweeters just a small 3.5'' woofer.
some old yamaha DM-01's
i felt good to get to 17khz on them.
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Gear interested

I'm 14 and I got about 21 kHz on my crummy little computer speakers. I will try it again with some headphones when I get them.
Graham
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Those aren't pure tones.... My normal cutoff in a real hearing test is about 17K before I only feel it instead of hearing it and I could easily hear all those tones right up to 22 Khz, so somethings not right. I'm 38.
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Nice avatar. LOL!
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob View Post
Those aren't pure tones.... My normal cutoff in a real hearing test is about 17K before I only feel it instead of hearing it and I could easily hear all those tones right up to 22 Khz, so somethings not right. I'm 38.
I agree.
On my MBP, it sounded like lower pitched artifacts were being added (likely because of the soundcard or something), because I heard SOMETHING on all settings.
I've done a similar test in Logic with the sine wave generator through a Firepod into monitors (forget which ones). I don't remember what I got to, but it seemed more accurate.
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Gear addict

Is the program working correctly?
I hear a clear tone from 21k Hz but not from 19-20k Hz.
I sometimes hear a "feedback" quality from 19k and 20k Hz, maybe due to hearing loss?
The 22k Hz sounds like some kind of "buzz", Mosquito kind of thing, is that an articaft or is it supposed to sound like that?
I hear all the lows without subwoofer altho the 15 Hz sounds more like some kind of motor engine than a tone.
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

One reason you can probably hear higher than you think you is these sounds are aliasing.

When you think you can hear 22k your probably hearing the folded back aliased waveform not the 'real' one.

He 'claims' alias free , which is probably true for the sine wav its self but not by the time your D/A has finished with it....

gfx
20th January 2007
Old 20th January 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
When you think you can hear 22k your probably hearing the folded back aliased waveform not the 'real' one.
Yea most likely, I took a very short break and could then hear real "tones" from the 19k Hz and 20k Hz, I don't think the 21k Hz tone is correct tho, it sounds much lower than the others.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search