Best digital distributor for independent bands?
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

Best digital distributor for independent bands?

I imagine that this question has been done to death, and google certainly comes up with a lot of results for this question, but it's all very outdated. Most articles i find are from 2007-2010. And in a music industry that seems to be evolving by the month, i think it's fine for me to bring this topic up again!

Ok, so, i'm in a independent rock band and who have recorded our debut EP and we want to put it all over the net. We're already on bandcamp, but we want to get it on the rest: Itunes, Spotify, etc etc, you know the drill. Which distributors are the best? What different nuances do they have? It's one thing to look at the offers on their sites, but what i'm really after is the opinions of the people who have experienced various different companies first-hand. What should i watch out for? Etc.

I researched all this about a year ago and i remember that CDbaby was the main one. We will probably go with that, as it seems reasonably priced and offers a lot. But i don't want to get locked into some shitty shit.

What can you tell me about this stuff? I don't know what i don't know.

Cheers,
Nic.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Tunecore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gearslutz App
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

Yep i'm aware Tunecore exists. What is your experience with them though? That's the information i'm after.
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Exactly what the contract says. To be completely honest, you should read the terms and decide for yourself. I'm not going to rewrite their terms as they're plain to read on their website. I wouldn't leave your financial future in anyone else's hands...

That said, I've had good experience so far with tunecore. That what i ended up using. Take it as you will...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gearslutz App
Old 5th July 2012
Gear maniac

I had a good experience with Tunecore.

The main differences I looked at when comparing Tunecore to CDBaby was that Tunecore charges each year ($50, $40 for my first year); while CDBaby charges only once; but CDBaby takes 9% of your Net Income from all sales.

If you sell enough, (about $800), you will cover next years fee in the 9% saved. If you sell twice that you are saving $50 in % fees, and if you sell a lot then you will have made much more $ by avoiding the 9% tax.

Not sure what other differences there are in the sites since I've only used Tunecore. They don't spam my email and were quick to get the music up and also to drop my itunes price immediatley after I asked. Both services appear able to get your music on all the main distribution channels.

I think CDBaby might offer better physical distribution options. It's been awhile since i was doing my small amount of research.

Old 15th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiimba View Post
I had a good experience with Tunecore.

The main differences I looked at when comparing Tunecore to CDBaby was that Tunecore charges each year ($50, $40 for my first year); while CDBaby charges only once; but CDBaby takes 9% of your Net Income from all sales.

If you sell enough, (about $800), you will cover next years fee in the 9% saved. If you sell twice that you are saving $50 in % fees, and if you sell a lot then you will have made much more $ by avoiding the 9% tax.

Not sure what other differences there are in the sites since I've only used Tunecore. They don't spam my email and were quick to get the music up and also to drop my itunes price immediatley after I asked. Both services appear able to get your music on all the main distribution channels.

I think CDBaby might offer better physical distribution options. It's been awhile since i was doing my small amount of research.

Thanks for the info
Old 15th July 2012
Lives for gear

I use Tunecore for two soundtrack releases. I like paying once a year and knowing Tunecore don't take anything. Took 1 day to for my recent release to appear on iTunes.

One problem I had with TUnecore was using their genre selector. I picked instrumental and it showed up under Christian and Gospel on Amazon and I had the Number 1 Christian and Gospel album for a week.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search