Login / Register

Help My Girlfriend With Her Online Recording Arts Class Final?
Subscribe
SunnyOctopus
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to SunnyOctopus Send a message via MSN to SunnyOctopus Send a message via Yahoo to SunnyOctopus Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyOctopus
Help My Girlfriend With Her Online Recording Arts Class Final?

Answer what you can? Or is there an answer sheet somewhere? The cutoff date for the test is this Tuesday. I don't know how many questions the test actually is, but the above is the recommended study material. Thank you! : D

Disclaimer:
She doesn't want to learn. We want to deconstruct the antiquated relationship between formal education and economic status and stuff and so and so and political and philosophical and ethical things like that. Or something. She'll study this and learn. Your help will just get rid of the pointless busywork answer searching. She isn't lazy, or anything. I just want to be a good boyfriend. ::{
-----------------------------------------
Music 165 Intro To Recording Arts
The person often hired to guide an artist throughout the recording process is the:

The person who tweaks the aspects of the final recording including level and equalization is the:

The person responsible for all session documentation and notes is the:

The device that converts one form of energy into another is:

The device that allows for digital audio recording and manipulation is:

The range of human hearing is:

When two identical waveforms combine in phase, the result is:

When two identical waveforms combine out of phase the result is:

Whole-number multiples of a fundamental frequency is termed:

The measurement of the height of a waveform is called:

The time it takes to complete one cycle of a waveform is called:

The measurement of the number of cycles of a waveform in one second is called:

The measurement of one cycle of a waveform by degrees is called:

The amount of time it takes a sound to decay by 60 dB in an acoustic environment is termed:

The part of a recording session that adds additional tracks to existing tracks is called:

The part of a recording session that adds equalization, balancing, panning is called:

When the final product is sent to a special engineer so that fine-tuning adjustments can be made to the overall recording is called:

Sound arriving at the ear in the form of periodic variations in atmospheric pressure is called:

The graphic representation of sound-pressure level or voltage level as it moves through a medium over time is called:

The charted output of an audio device, when supplied with a reference input of equal level over the range of human hearing, is called:

A term that describes one waveform's lead or lag time with respect to another is its:

A type of recording is:

n recording studio construction it is a good idea to have all surface layers match up exactly end to end:

In recording studio design it is a good idea to have walls parallel to one another:

The structure at the front of the control room that normally houses such items as the far-field monitors and video monitors is termed:

The acoustic structure designed to absorb low frequency energy is termed a:

A ribbon microphone works on the principle of:

A condenser microphone works on the principle of:

The directional response of a microphone refers to its sensitivity at various angles and is commonly referred to as its:

With distance microphone placement, one or more mics are positioned at a distance of:

A microphone that uses "Phantom power" is a:

A type of microphone that is not considered for use in a professional recording

A dynamic microphone works on the principle of:

A cardioid polar pattern is a:

A loss of frequency response due to sound entering a microphone from the side or rear is called:

The amount of time it takes a sound to decay by 60 dB in an acoustic environment is call the:

A type of stereo microphone placement is:

The boost in low frequency pick-up in directional microphones is termed:

Print-through might not occur if a tape is:

Tails out refers to the tape:

The term "sel-sync" in a tape recorder refers to:

A device in a tape recorder that transforms an analog signal into corresponding magnetic fields that can be permanently stored on tape is the:

A device that is used to read the magnetic information on a tape is the

A metal rotating cylinder that helps move the tape through a tape recorder is the:

A large free wheeling rubber roller that helps grab the tape and move it through the tape recorder is the:

After the recording session, the used tape is usually stored on the:

Distribution of a common digital reference pulse is termed:

Popular 8-track digital recorders such as the Alesis' ADAT and Tascam's DTRS are termed:

The standard sample rate of a Compact Disk is:

The standard bit rate of a Compact Disk is:

The Nyquist theorem states that in order to accurately digitally record an audio signal the sample rate must be at least ______________ the highest frequency.

A VU meter is a device on a tape recorder that registers the average ______________ of an audio signal.

An engineer should ________________ of a tape recorder before each session.

In recording 0dB is considered the:

How many values can be described by one bit in the binary system?

Amplitude based errors in a digital audio system are known as _____________ errors.
-------------------------------------------------------
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyOctopus View Post
The person often hired to guide an artist throughout the recording process is the: Accountant

The person who tweaks the aspects of the final recording including level and equalization is the: Tweaker

The person responsible for all session documentation and notes is the: Documentarian

The device that converts one form of energy into another is: Magic

The device that allows for digital audio recording and manipulation is: Evil

The range of human hearing is: Kenmore

When two identical waveforms combine in phase, the result is: John Deere

When two identical waveforms combine out of phase the result is: Better

Whole-number multiples of a fundamental frequency is termed: Holy

The measurement of the height of a waveform is called: Tall

The time it takes to complete one cycle of a waveform is called: Timely

The measurement of the number of cycles of a waveform in one second is called: A second

The measurement of one cycle of a waveform by degrees is called: Third

The amount of time it takes a sound to decay by 60 dB in an acoustic environment is termed: The Decay Time

The part of a recording session that adds additional tracks to existing tracks is called: Noodling

The part of a recording session that adds equalization, balancing, panning is called: No longer relevant

When the final product is sent to a special engineer so that fine-tuning adjustments can be made to the overall recording is called: Ruined

Sound arriving at the ear in the form of periodic variations in atmospheric pressure is called: Sound

The graphic representation of sound-pressure level or voltage level as it moves through a medium over time is called: Colorful

The charted output of an audio device, when supplied with a reference input of equal level over the range of human hearing, is called: A chart

A term that describes one waveform's lead or lag time with respect to another is its: The lead/lag.

A type of recording is: Rock Music

In recording studio construction it is a good idea to have all surface layers match up exactly end to end: The End

In recording studio design it is a good idea to have walls parallel to one another: Blondie 1978: Parallel Lines

The structure at the front of the control room that normally houses such items as the far-field monitors and video monitors is termed: The Lounge

The acoustic structure designed to absorb low frequency energy is termed a: Cannon

A ribbon microphone works on the principle of: Ribbon-ness.

A condenser microphone works on the principle of: Condensation.

The directional response of a microphone refers to its sensitivity at various angles and is commonly referred to as its: Callousness.

With distance microphone placement, one or more mics are positioned at a distance of: A distance

A microphone that uses "Phantom power" is a: Secret

A type of microphone that is not considered for use in a professional recording: Un-professionsl

A dynamic microphone works on the principle of: Dynamism

A cardioid polar pattern is a: Infarction

A loss of frequency response due to sound entering a microphone from the side or rear is called: Side or rear-ways

The amount of time it takes a sound to decay by 60 dB in an acoustic environment is call the: the dB time

A type of stereo microphone placement is: Stereophonic

The boost in low frequency pick-up in directional microphones is termed: Humbucker or P90

Print-through might not occur if a tape is: Thin paper

Tails out refers to the tape: Butt

The term "sel-sync" in a tape recorder refers to: Selling sinks

A device in a tape recorder that transforms an analog signal into corresponding magnetic fields that can be permanently stored on tape is the: The transformer

A device that is used to read the magnetic information on a tape is the: Reading part

A metal rotating cylinder that helps move the tape through a tape recorder is the: Crankshaft

A large free wheeling rubber roller that helps grab the tape and move it through the tape recorder is the: The Sail

After the recording session, the used tape is usually stored on the: Floor

Distribution of a common digital reference pulse is termed: Atomic resonance

Popular 8-track digital recorders such as the Alesis' ADAT and Tascam's DTRS are termed: Unpopular

The standard sample rate of a Compact Disk is: Disc with a "c"

The standard bit rate of a Compact Disk is: just a bit more

The Nyquist theorem states that in order to accurately digitally record an audio signal the sample rate must be at least ______________ the highest frequency. More awesome

A VU meter is a device on a tape recorder that registers the average ______________ of an audio signal. Awesomeness

An engineer should ________________ of a tape recorder before each session. Tenderly caress

In recording 0dB is considered the: Zero-th

How many values can be described by one bit in the binary system? Plenty

Amplitude based errors in a digital audio system are known as _____________ errors. The fun kind
-------------------------------------------------------
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Can she try "the dog ate it"?
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Wtf??? Tell her to do her homework. Sounds like she's making excuses for a piece of paper.

Producer, Mix Engineer.
Make Believe Studios
www.makebelievestudio.com
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

The answer is YES, to all of them.
Deleted User #43636
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Deleted User #43636

As what she wants is to "deconstruct", dcollins' answers will help her a lot.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
She doesn't want to learn.
It sounds like she is well on her way. Congratulations! You are in the right place. There is no reason to understand the subject matter before commenting on it.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to bitmob
I can't quite figure out what's going on, so I'll give some replies for whatever the situation may be.

A - You've been registered here for two years. You should be able to answer these yourself or be resourceful enough to google them in the time it took you to write this up.

B - You don't have a girlfriend. Do your own homework.

C - Your girlfriend has no business being in a field that requires both diligence and fastidiousness. Let her learn by allowing her to fall on her face.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

Haha well played dcollins. Seriously man? How are you or her (imean someone's being a pus...hy user...) learning the how and why of those q's is kinda important, especially if you want to be taken seriously (too late). Your idea of deconstructing learning how to record makes me chuckle lololololol
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Disclaimer:
She doesn't want to learn. We want to deconstruct the antiquated relationship between formal education and economic status and stuff and so and so and political and philosophical and ethical things like that. Or something. She'll study this and learn. Your help will just get rid of the pointless busywork answer searching. She isn't lazy, or anything. I just want to be a good boyfriend. ::{
Wow just when you thought you had heard everything! Well I guess you guys are well on your way to deconstruction as you have done a pretty good job with the bolded part of that sentence above. 6 ands and a couple of so and so's. Or something.

She isn't lazy? She just doesn't want to do the work and is trying to find a creative excuse for cheating.

can we say cop out? Oh and you just go right ahead and enable the behavior. Congrats on being a good boyfriend. Oh wait last time I checked being a good boyfriend meant you convinced here to do the work not justify cheating.

This current generation. You guys scare the hell out of me. Just think in another ten years people like you and her will possibly be in charge of shit,god forbid.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The person often hired to guide an artist throughout the recording process is the: Accountant

The person who tweaks the aspects of the final recording including level and equalization is the: Tweaker

The person responsible for all session documentation and notes is the: Documentarian

Lol. Classic.

Mychal
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

I have no, err, herbal reason to be unduly suspicious... But we might be getting trolled hard. Then again this has the ring of authentic stupidity.....
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
This current generation. You guys scare the hell out of me. Just think in another ten years people like you and her will possibly be in charge of shit,god forbid.
It's not the current generation. It's the same stupidity that's existed since the dawn of humanity. The internet just makes it a lot easier for them to talk to the rest of us.
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Guru

Tell her to get a job in an industry where she

(a) doesn't need to know anything,

(b) doesn't need any real skills or talent, and

(c) stands a ghost of a chance of making a living.

I suggest selling insurance.

She obviously doesn't want to be an audio engineer or she'd be recording and mixing music. And wouldn't be asking people to help her cheat on an exam that covers only the most superficial and rudimentary aspects of the profession.

If she was really interested in the subject she would have made herself sufficiently familiar with the subject so that she would have known enough to pass that test before she even signed up for the course.

The last thing the world needs is more clueless "audio school" grads.

Sorry if I'm being a bit rough here but it's the truth.
All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear

If your school is a corporation i feel sorry for you son

I got 99 problems but a worthless diploma aint one

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App

https://soundcloud.com/rust-creep/grundle
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Answer what you can? Or is there an answer sheet somewhere? The cutoff date for the test is this Tuesday. I don't know how many questions the test actually is, but the above is the recommended study material. Thank you! : D

Disclaimer:
She doesn't want to learn.
mission accomplished!
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to dbssound1
As an adjunct recording professor and a full time engineer, I'm interested in what school this is from. I guess i'll send it around to some of my colleagues and ask.

You and your girfriend (aka you) should find a new career path with something you love enough to want to learn it.

Please turn in your headphones, and sm57s on you way out the door.
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Telling it like it is

One time, many, many years ago, I cut my class in school to go to my friends class so I could hang out with him. Unfortunately it was a day they were giving a test. So I stayed and took the test even though I wasn't registered for the class and didn't know anything about his major! (Architecture)

Anyway, a girl kept tapping me on the shoulder and asking me for answers, so I kept giving them to her.

After the test, my friend, who had gotten a kick out of me taking the test asked me, "What did she want?"

I told him, "Answers."

He said, "And you gave them to her?! You don't even know them yourself!"

I told him, "Serves her right for cheating."

Regards,
Frank

www.frankperri.com

Never listen to opinions regarding gear. For every 50 nobodies on Gearslutz that say a piece of gear doesn't sound good enough to cut it, I know at least one somebody who is cutting it in NYC with that piece of gear.

www.diehipster.com
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbssound1 View Post
As an adjunct recording professor and a full time engineer, I'm interested in what school this is from. I guess i'll send it around to some of my colleagues and ask.
Maybe Pierce?
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Help her cheat? Forget it. The best boyfriend for this gal is an ex. Keep your integrity. If YOU can't asnwer those questions, I don't know what to say...

Glad I work with adults.
Attached Thumbnails
Help My Girlfriend With Her Online Recording Arts Class Final?-turn-one-.jpg  
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear Guru

Oh, if you really want to know, the answer to everything is 42.
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your help will just get rid of the pointless busywork answer searching. She isn't lazy, or anything.
I'm guessing the answers are in the text. Oh, yeah! She never bought the text, right?

A thought. If there are any essay answers, maybe you should back away from helping with that.
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear addict

This is a farce! He's just seeing if anyone actually knows these things anymore. And still has a sense of humor.
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
This is a farce! He's just seeing if anyone actually knows these things anymore. And still has a sense of humor.
So... this is a test within a test. AAHHH!!! Very clever.
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Gear interested

Hi! No, he's not joking. Unfortunately you are reading far too much into it! This is actual study guide from Music 165 class at Pierce college. All these questions were on both tests but apparently these morons didn't study at all. I doubt he has a girlfriend... ... prob never been laid

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvonpierce View Post
Hi! No, he's not joking. Unfortunately you are reading far too much into it! This is actual study guide from Music 165 class at Pierce college. All these questions were on both tests but apparently these morons didn't study at all. I doubt he has a girlfriend... ... prob never been laid
Well then they deserve to flunk.

And the college should be ashamed of themselves for taking people's money for such a lame course.
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

just tell her to have sex with the teacher that's how i passed my classes...
sometimes all it took was an old fashioned, even...

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search