Login / Register

Spotify to launch Pandora like radio service
Subscribe
John Eppstein
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Guru

Spotify to launch Pandora like radio service

All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Spotify is launching a pandora like internet radio service.

This means they'll be able to access music from artists and labels that have pulled their catalogs from Spotify's streaming. It also may be that they pay even less.
yes on both counts, and it allows them to build a subscriber base that they can migrate for the on demand business.

spotify has been aggressively pushing for an on demand streaming stat rate, which would be a disaster for everyone but spotify.

this appears to be a stop-gap fix. also, what we don't know is if labels are taking the stat rate via soundexchange that pays 50% to artists directly, or say perhaps the labels are taking a 75% of Stat direct payment where the artists share is paid to the label, and recouped against advances.

hmmmmmm... Spotify represents the worst of the old and the worst of the new, artists getting screwed by both labels and tech in new and inventive ways.

Awesome...

see here (there are five parts):
Musicians POV: Give it to Mikey, he’ll eat anything! Spotify is (NOT) Good for You, Yum Yum! (Part 1 of 5) | The Trichordist
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search