Login / Register
 
Thoughts on music sponsorship
Subscribe
CdeT
Thread Starter
#1
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1

Thread Starter
CdeT is offline
Thoughts on music sponsorship

Hi all, Newbie here.

This question is for those of you who already have music for sale online.

I've been holed up, writing, recording & producing like crazy -- finally climbing out of my cocoon and spreading my wings.

My day job for 30 years has been as a business development consultant, and after working with the Olympics, etc., and assessing the state of the music industry, I've decided I'm going to act like I'm a pro athlete and make sponsorship my "cake" and music & ticket sales my "icing."

So I've created this site: Home | W-W-W-MusicĀ® | Listen to Music Free (check out the FAQs for details on how it works - FAQ ) and want to know:

1) what you think of it and
2) what questions you would have as musicians in order to join me.


---please read below AFTER you look & note your first impressions - thanks!---


Coca Cola, whom I worked with on the Olympics, just signed an exclusive with Spotify last week, and IEG, the largest global sponsorship consultant, states music sponsorship is outpacing every other category in growth, with $1.17 billion spent in 2011.

YouTube & MySpace, Spotify, Pandora and everybody else wants me to upload my music so they can make billions in sponsor dollars on my music, telling me they're providing me with free promotion or maybe some royalty pennies (YouTube is projected to make $1.7 billion in 2012). I'm seeing complaints from independent artists, and even the major labels, that they aren't seeing any revenue. I also honestly cannot get excited about what I'd see in revenue from the iTunes or Amazon types either vs. just posting my songs for sale in my own store.

From this info. and my experience, sponsorship is the elephant in the room. Just seems to me it would create a win-win-win for musicians-sponsors-music lovers, and create a new music homeostasis, finally transition us all to a nice new healthy hum.

We made the music, we deserve the elephant. With those billions in the humble hands of musicians (self-absorbed types aside) we could make more music and we could change the world! Thanks for your thoughts.
#2
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
initialsBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 3,556

initialsBB is offline
Your site is confusing. After a quick look at it, I have no idea what it is you're selling, what I'm supposed to do, etc. I'm not quite sure how sponsorship ties into it either. As far as I can tell, there is no way that an unknown artist can have any sponsorship opportunities. First you have to have a fanbase, then you can sell that fanbase to sponsors. So the key for an independent musician who is interested in sponsorship would be to figure out how to develop a valuable niche audience, and then to figure out which companies would be interested in reaching that audience.
ICM
#3
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #3
ICM
Gear nut
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 95

ICM is offline
I read the whole FAQs and I like the idea and I believe I know how it works. I think my only gripe at the moment would be that the site's not so attractive and as a "listener" it doesn't attract my attention at all to stay and listen to any of the music. One other thing as well you should look into and would be a very valuable thing to have, would be a smartphone/tablet app for the listeners to listen to music and musicians to manage and track stats.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Gearslutz App
#4
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #4
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdeT View Post
Coca Cola, whom I worked with on the Olympics, just signed an exclusive with Spotify last week, and IEG, the largest global sponsorship consultant, states music sponsorship is outpacing every other category in growth, with $1.17 billion spent in 2011.
awesome... so coca cola pays spotify how much? spotify then uses the artists music to shill for coke... and the artist get's .005 cents per play. awesome.

Streaming Price Index : Pay Rates as of 12/31/11 | The Trichordist

something's not adding up. if spotify is getting sponsorship money from coke, shouldn't that money be going to the artists?

Spotify Joins Coca-Cola for Worldwide Coverage | | drink-brands.comdrink-brands.com
#5
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 2,682

frans is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
if spotify is getting sponsorship money from coke, shouldn't that money be going to the artists?
Not if that source of income isn't written into the contract. Same as with the money the lawyers took from kids who downloaded music from the web. Not in the contract. Same as with the huge additional sums which change hands when companies are sold. (etc.)

Sorry to be off topic.
__________________
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
#6
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #6
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 14,463

John Eppstein is offline
That's not the point.

The point is that Spotify is screwing artists - racking in massive amounts from advertisers and not paying out for content.

Which is why more and more artists and labels are yanking their stuff from Spotify, or holding back licensing of current product.

Spotify is a ripoff.

But back to the topic.....

I looked at the OP's site. I didn't see anything compelling - in fact I found it extremely ugly, with the most unappetizing artist pictures I've seen in my life. It looks really amateur.

And I don't see anything there to explain how or if the artists are getting paid, who the artists are, anything.

I don't see how brands are sponsoring artists here. I don't see sponsors doing anything for the artists. I don't see any connection between artist and brands.

For example, some friends of mine from Sonoma have a band that's pretty popular in the Bay Area that scored a sponsorship from Ancient Age bourbon last year. During the time of the sponsorship there were PROFESSIONALLY DESIGNED advertisements in the local papers, etc, for their shows saying "THE WHISKEY THIEVES - BROUGHT TO YOU BY ANCIENT AGE", which provided promotion for both the band and the brand.

I see none of that on this site.
__________________
All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

************************************
Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
ICM
#7
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
  #7
ICM
Gear nut
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 95

ICM is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
That's not the point.

The point is that Spotify is screwing artists - racking in massive amounts from advertisers and not paying out for content.

Which is why more and more artists and labels are yanking their stuff from Spotify, or holding back licensing of current product.

Spotify is a ripoff.

But back to the topic.....

I looked at the OP's site. I didn't see anything compelling - in fact I found it extremely ugly, with the most unappetizing artist pictures I've seen in my life. It looks really amateur.

And I don't see anything there to explain how or if the artists are getting paid, who the artists are, anything.

I don't see how brands are sponsoring artists here. I don't see sponsors doing anything for the artists. I don't see any connection between artist and brands.

For example, some friends of mine from Sonoma have a band that's pretty popular in the Bay Area that scored a sponsorship from Ancient Age bourbon last year. During the time of the sponsorship there were PROFESSIONALLY DESIGNED advertisements in the local papers, etc, for their shows saying "THE WHISKEY THIEVES - BROUGHT TO YOU BY ANCIENT AGE", which provided promotion for both the band and the brand.

I see none of that on this site.
I agree, but I was hoping those pictures were placeholders for actual future artists though. lol But I guess if they're going to be showing off a site it should be fully functional and have it set up ready to go already, eye candy and all. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Gearslutz App
#8
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ninjaneer / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
4
bcgood / So much gear, so little time!
3
3db / So much gear, so little time!
6
celticrogues / So much gear, so little time!
7

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.