music licensing question
Subscribe
blue54321
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear interested

music licensing question

hey guys,

i have a question. recently someone from an indie film company based in LA asked me if they can purchase my music for promotional trailer.

i know that there are contracts like master license and sync license, but which contract should i propose them. (or do they propose the contract?).

my PRO is AKM based in Austria. if they gonna fill the cue sheet, should they send it to AKM? how is it normaly done for composers based in EU whose music is played in US?

thanks in advance.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue54321 View Post
hey guys,

i have a question. recently someone from an indie film company based in LA asked me if they can purchase my music for promotional trailer.

i know that there are contracts like master license and sync license, but which contract should i propose them. (or do they propose the contract?).

my PRO is AKM based in Austria. if they gonna fill the cue sheet, should they send it to AKM? how is it normaly done for composers based in EU whose music is played in US?

thanks in advance.
1) License the song, Don't "sell" it

2) You need a license for BOTH the master recording and the underlying copyright

3) the film production should be providing the LICENSES

4) have a lawyer review the license for you

5) there are no royalties on film licenses - you negotiate a flat fee for both the master and the publishing (sync), but you can collect PRO money from certain territories should the film play in theaters or on TV (mostly in Europe and not the USA).

good luck.
blue54321
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear interested

thank you for the information!

but what about royalties payments if i license my music through the US music libraries? do you need to be an ASCAP or BMI member or they are working also with foreign PROs?
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
thank you for the information!

but what about royalties payments if i license my music through the US music libraries? do you need to be an ASCAP or BMI member or they are working also with foreign PROs?
in a general sense there are no royalties from film/tv placements on masters - but rather residual Preforming Rights Money that is paid only on the publishing side.

I don't really know if you have to be registered with ASCAP or BMI, I believe your PRO in the country of origin should be tracking and collecting your payments. Someone with more experience in this area than me should chime in, if I'm in error.
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey guys,

thanks in advance.
THere are many good libraries that will represent your music on a non-exclusive basis.DO the research at Music Library Report.Many composers go there to find out about the details.
You can License directly to them,a much preferred way if you can.
Many libraries give you no or little upfront fee for the sync/master,but I know others who have split 6000 for a fairly major film on the front end.
On another note,NEVER fully give up rights to your music.Always own the writing portion,and play with the publishing. Most Libraries will ask you to give up the publishing in return for possible placement and some will split the upfront master/sync fee.Worth your efforts to learn more especially if someone is contacting you for your music.
blue54321
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for good informations!
I will try with couple librarys. Think its a good starting point.
Actually the person which contacted me desided not to use my music. Apparently my price was too high. But thats another question what is going on with music today.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search