Streaming... Still Not Working...
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Guru

Streaming... Still Not Working...

Ringtones Are Still Bigger Than Spotify, Rhapsody, & Rdio Combined...
Digital Music News - Ringtones Are Still Bigger Than Spotify, Rhapsody, & Rdio Combined...

and...

Spotify Has 600,000 US Subscribers; Frustratingly Low Conversion Rates...
Digital Music News - Sources: Spotify Has 600,000 US Subscribers; Frustratingly Low Conversion Rates...

Quote:
"Since last June, Spotify has signed up 3 million US subscribers. About 20 percent — or 600,000 — pay for the service."
? The Post's Claire Atkinson, based on source information.
the problem is that, Spotify, Rhapsody, etc... need a baseline of 30 Million Paid Subscribers to get to any kind of revenue that would make payouts to artists make sense... in the meantime, artists and labels are jumping ship due to low payments, which means the race to the bottom has begun.

either the streaming sites need to get real about artists payments or expect ongoing attrition... will be interesting to see what the major labels do when their licenses come up for renewal...

oh, and then there's this... burn rate... and how much of the capital being raised is going to artists?
Digital Music News - Yes, Spotify Is Raising a Seriously Gigantic Round...
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

So globally, ringtones are selling more than anything? Who is buying them and where? I have never known or seen anyone purchase a ringtone so this is very interesting. I'm going to assume kids....
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenking
I have never known or seen anyone purchase a ringtone
The first thing I ever purchase on a new phone is a personalized ringtone. Nobody ever sees me do it either. I do it standing in the hall where the reception is the best. Nothing worse than losing reception while downloading a ringtone.

The next purchase is a couple of games so I have something to do at the airport when my plane gets delayed.
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
So globally, ringtones are selling more than anything? Who is buying them and where? I have never known or seen anyone purchase a ringtone so this is very interesting. I'm going to assume kids....
Not necessarily "selling more"... just the statutory royalty rate is higher for ringtones (IIRC $0.24/per)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search