David Lowrey (Camper Van Beethoven) on why the "new model" sucks.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Guru

Ol Betsy - I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss. I could tell stories about the biz for days. I started at the majors and worked my way to the indies...

The one distinction I'll grant that is a major dividing line between labels and artists is that for the labels, it's their job but for the artists it's their life. As you get down to the indies it is more true that the label is also the life's work of the founder/owner and to some degree the staff... but at the majors it is a job... and people there are just doing their job so you can't take it personally. But on the other hand, anyone working at a label who doesn't understand that the band and music career isn't the life's work of an artists needs to find another job.

The great music execs and labels understood this. That's what made Atlantic, Elektra, Island, Virgin, A&M, Reprise, Sire, etc such great labels. Is that the people that founded and ran those labels (in the era when they were founded) had profound respect for musicians. Sure there were disagreements, but there wasn't disrespect, and there's a difference.
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
Ol Betsy - I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss. I could tell stories about the biz for days. I started at the majors and worked my way to the indies...

The one distinction I'll grant that is a major dividing line between labels and artists is that for the labels, it's their job but for the artists it's their life. As you get down to the indies it is more true that the label is also the life's work of the founder/owner and to some degree the staff... but at the majors it is a job... and people there are just doing their job so you can't take it personally. But on the other hand, anyone working at a label who doesn't understand that the band and music career isn't the life's work of an artists needs to find another job.

The great music execs and labels understood this. That's what made Atlantic, Elektra, Island, Virgin, A&M, Reprise, Sire, etc such great labels. Is that the people that founded and ran those labels (in the era when they were founded) had profound respect for musicians. Sure there were disagreements, but there wasn't disrespect, and there's a difference.

Wow Rack! This is SPOT ON! Althought we disagree probably more than agree on the new music biz, we certainly agree on this core concept!
25th February 2012
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Guru

Yeah. +1
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Gear Guru

looks Like David is posting the entire content of his SF Music Tech talk this week:
Meet The New Boss, Worse Than The Old Boss? Part 1. | The Trichordist

I don't think I've ever seen a more thoughtful or in depth analysis of how the changes in the last 13 years have negatively effected professional artists and musicians (or those who aspire to be).
John Eppstein
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
John I noticed you've been suspended... I'm guessing your (moderated) reply was a little too heated and that is the result?

I won't continue in the same vein now as I know you can't reply but just want to address something...
Well I'm back. Let's try to keep things on a more civil level, calling each other names doesn't benefit anyone.

Concerning PROs:

Here's an article by Jeff Price, founder of Tunecore, that discusses the problems I was getting at.

It's not the only source for my information, but it is the one that was was able to get a URL for.

You have to understand that your pleasant and fruitful experiences with PROs and international collections are not universal and can vary widely depending on the regions involved and the specific type of market - i.e, you're a lot more likely to get paid if you're doing movie and commercial placements in the USA from the UK than if you're doing say, EDM licensing to Japan from the US.

That might lead some artists or even small labels to not wish to license their product in some regions. I'm not saying they're right. In fact, IMO the whole licensing "region" thing with availability limitations actually promotes piracy - however that's their decision to make, not ours.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear Guru

John Eppstein
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Gear Guru

No comments on the third section?
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Lives for gear

Read it, nodded, moved on.
I disagree with a couple of his rants (he calls them digressions) but he's entitled to his opinions. The rest is solid, it "tells it like it is".

Edit: As I understand it, anyway.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear Guru

... meh
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
I disagree with a couple of his rants (he calls them digressions) but he's entitled to his opinions. The rest is solid, it "tells it like it is".
I think David is about as Neutral as you could get in his relaying of his story. It's probably one of the most balanced analysis' I've read yet.

Everyone should Read it.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Musicians are constantly derided by the Digerati. It’s usually after someone like myself suggest that if other people are profiting from distributing an artist’s work (Kim Dotcom, Mediafire, Megavideo, Mp3tunes,) they should share some of their proceeds with the artists. At this point the Digerati then proceed to call us “dinosaurs”, “know nothings” or worse. Suddenly your Facebook page is filled with angry comments from their followers that seem to all be unsuccessful Canadian hip hop artists who proclaim:

“We are gonna turn you into Lars Ulrich and bitch your band sucks anyway”.
Behold, the Pied Piper effect...

Quote:
The most virulent of these folks are almost always unsuccessful musicians. It fascinates me. I can only surmise that part of their anger seems tied to the hatred of the record companies that rejected them. Successful even marginally successful musicians are often viewed as some kind of traitors. A special kind of hatred is reserved for these apostates. The file sharing/ cyber locker industry has figured this out and purposely stokes stokes them with a faux populism. I would say it’s juvenile but it’s really more medieval. That’s why I call them Freehadists. People like me are actually looking out for these young musician’s rights. I am trying to keep the new boss from screwing them. They dont’ realize they are doing the work of The Man.
They're here, like Zombies from the mist...

There isn't a treatment/cure for willful, out-of-control dumb & dumber, and the Internet is roiling with it.

Quote:
Taking no risk and paying nothing to the content creators is built into the collective psyche of the Tech industry. They do not value content. They only see THEIR services as valuable. They are the Masters of the Universe. They bring all that is good. Content magically appears on their blessed networks.

Nothing new here, see Narcissistic personality disorder...

Quote:
Not only is the New Boss worse than the Old Boss. The New Boss creeps me out.
Good luck all,

Gary
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Guru

Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search