helping artist cutting a song, publishing as a producer?
musicmixer04
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

helping artist cutting a song, publishing as a producer?

Hi.

I work on a song for an unknown artist. she came in with a cool song recorded with her singing and playing piano. I`m mixing the song but also doing string arrangement/programming and more overdubs. I like the song and I think it is a tiny chanse having someone cutting it. I don`t know if the singer have any contacts but I`m thinking about helping her out.
my question is.
Is it normal to take a percentage of publishing if I as the producer cuts the song for the artist? I`m just curious If it`s worth the time spent helping her out. thanks
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

I thought only the writer/s collected from publishing deals?
musicmixer04
22nd January 2012
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought only the writer/s collected from publishing deals?
yes but In this case, if I spend alot of time pushing the song for the artist It`s like what a publisher will do, or maby a songplugger? I know some producers write contracts with artists that they will work on spec and if the artist get signed they will have the rights to produce the record.I`m not sure what to do in the case of a song. I`m thinking more like if I use time and pushing the song and maby have luck and get the cut, the artist may give me a small percentage of publishing? Is this totally wrong?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search