on releasing music and making money and "getting publishing"
firby
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

on releasing music and making money and "getting publishing"

Hello Biz Slutz!

So happy to find this forum, I could use advice/information about resources to sell some music.

I am coming up on my first release of music. The first music for release is 4 on the floor 909 bassdrum kind of rough techno music. However, I make lots of varied music. Behind that release is a body of work that is reminiscent of Dj shadow 'entroducing' or RJD2 'deadringer'. Behind that is something more like the band 'Cake'. I am a multi instrumentalist/producer. I have many, many tracks. Of those probably 45 exist with good mixes and right now 6 (909 stuff) are done excluding mastering, which somebody else will do. The music just sits there, backed up on multiple digital sources.

Ok. Last year I went to the Winter Music Conference in Miami to learn about the biz. I had been producing feverishly for a few years. I'm a studio rat. I taped the conferences so that I could go back and review which I am doing now.

Things that stood out to me were:

1. Make your money in a bunch of streams of income. They talked about politely getting your music into the hands of music supervisors in film/tv/sports/advertising etc.

2. They talked about 365 deals. (those sounded bad).

3. They talked about, in earnest, keeping publishing rights if at all possible.

If I am making music that either has no lyrics, what does publishing mean to me ?

At the conference I heard well produced, very straight ahead music with lots of vocals. If I had to pick a genre I would call it house or club music. That music has different viability for sale than much of mine. I could imagine some of my music in between stories on NPR. Other music that sounds like Holland or Germany as straight banging techno. I have other stuff with lyrics more fringe radio music that you might here in a city somewhere low on the dial or on college radio.

I wish to take this music that I own every right to and sell it, rent it, license it. Make money off of it. Pay the rent. I wish to do it smartly and I am a bit flumuxed as my 'catalog' is so varied.

This first bit of music for release will be a continuous mix ep. I have produced this music specifically as a guinea pig to run through the market and determine how to sell/market music effectively. I want to get publishing on it. Do I need lyrics to get publishing ? I could make it a concept album with a story and harmonies and if it gets me publishing and that is what I need to make money.

Also, do I need to be doing mixes of this music without lyrics as well for markets that may wish to use it as instrumental music between other program material ?

I could use some help. I have lots of music in many genres. I write and record obsessively. If I make some money on it then I could pay to have other music mixed by better ears and move up the ladder a bit.

I need to slow production down to learn to sell music as well as meet necessary, good contacts to further this process. I am looking to understand publishing, as well as find my niche in the music business.

Regards.

Last edited by firby; 28th December 2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: neatness counts
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

You're trying to get into an extremely crowded niche. There are millions of people making instrumental electronic music. If a radio station like NPR wants to play something between or behind stories on a talk show they can just use any well-established artist's music and as far as I know they don't have to pay any sync fees. So why would they want to use your music? (that's not meant as a dig but just as an honest business question you should be asking yourself).

A piece of music doesn't need lyrics to be published. You automatically own the copyright on all of the stuff you've written and recorded. If you call yourself a publishing company and register all of those pieces with one of the PROs (ASCAP, BMI) then your music is "published" and you own all of the publishing. That doesn't mean you're going to make any money off of it though.

There's an argument to be made for giving away part of your publishing to a real publisher who will then have an incentive to try to get your music placed in commercials, tv shows, etc. but I'm sure there are others here who know a lot more about that than I do.

It kind of sounds like you want to get into making production music (also called library music) so you should do a search on those terms because there have been some good threads on the topic.

There are basically 3 routes I can see you taking if you want to make some money from electronic music:

1: become a successful artist in the traditional way. get your tracks to djs, get them played in the club, put out some records on some established labels, become a dj yourself, play live, tour, etc. then places like NPR might want to use your tracks as background music.

2: Post all of your existing music somewhere as a demo and try to get work as a composer for TV or film. start out by doing student films for free, etc. and try to work your way up.

3: Keep making music as you are and try to sell it to the production libraries. again, look at older threads on this topic to get a better feeling for what that market is like.

all three of those paths are extremely competitive and difficult to get into so good luck.
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Guru

I agree with the above.
You are sort of putting the cart before the horse. The scene is so crowded and competitive you are going to have to find a way to get one foot on the ladder before you can even think about tv/film placements etc...
I would decide which genre you have the best chance of succeeding in, then try to get one or two tracks into the hands of a DJ or two.
29th December 2011
Old 29th December 2011
Gear addict

But what's the best way to get into these music libraries?!!
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Banned

you must follow to succeed in making money with your online music releases.
firby
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

My plan is to release this latest bit of music. I suppose some of that stuff could go to libraries or whatever. Perhaps, the lesser developed stuff could go to a library but I have been producing with gigging in mind.

I definitely won't miss touring the stuff! It's going to be fun to play it out live as well as meet the other people. But I thought I should have some of my own work for sale, and some merch as well to start that up.

Of all those things it just sounds to me like I need to get out and perform it. So, that works for the dance oriented music and I have music from my personal library to spin with it.

For the other music though I wonder. It's more like head nodding music and more cerebral than dance music. It's smashing drums basically. I saw DJ Shadow at the Paradiso in Amsterdam, where I was at SAE learning to produce. And, I am a drummer, in those styles funk, jazz, afrobeat, rock. That part is the easy part of the endeavor, I come from a musical family, studied in college, and gig as a drummer.

Dj shadow is great as well as RJD2 but that is not club music. I don't know where to perform that music locally yet.

I don't think that my music is really club music either. At the same time in Europe, I met all these underground dance producers. Trance, gabber, drum and bass music. It was from raves and squat parties. The music that I have about ready for release is some hybrid of that type of music and it is 4 on the floor and transitions. It is more conservative and should work ok around here I think. Dancy.

I am glad I know that I have not bargained away my publishing ... yet!

Regards
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

To be successful, you need a *hot* brand.

Without, you're nothin' but a guppy...
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post

Regards
"Bargaining Away" your publishing is not inherently a bad thing. Many have "given away" their publishing to become unbelieveably wealthy. It ALL depends on the deal, how much hard work you put in, and a lot of luck. Do not believe that trading your publishing for access is a bad thing. If you have no other inroads, it may be your only option.
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
"Bargaining Away" your publishing is not inherently a bad thing. Many have "given away" their publishing to become unbelieveably wealthy. It ALL depends on the deal, how much hard work you put in, and a lot of luck. Do not believe that trading your publishing for access is a bad thing. If you have no other inroads, it may be your only option.
Spoken like a true professional.C'mon Bill give em the lowdown!!
I have been working on these music libraries and its a tortoise race.
At least we make something from 8 different companies we have deals with.
Having 75 tracks,not dance music,makes it possible to land new business.
By the way,most of the time we give the publishing side away.
Companies like Pump Audio,JIngle Punks.....always take the publishing.
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CISUM View Post
But what's the best way to get into these music libraries?!!
for a library
read what they want
and how they want it submitted
then submit
maybe they accept
maybe they reject

maybe they sell some
maybe you get a tiny payment
or maybe they bought all rights
and if you refuse that
they definitely REJECT

catch 22
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

My plan is to release this latest bit of music. I suppose some of that stuff could go to libraries or whatever. Perhaps, the lesser developed stuff could go to a library but I have been producing with gigging in mind.

I definitely won't miss touring the stuff! It's going to be fun to play it out live as well as meet the other people. But I thought I should have some of my own work for sale, and some merch as well to start that up.

Of all those things it just sounds to me like I need to get out and perform it. So, that works for the dance oriented music and I have music from my personal library to spin with it.

For the other music though I wonder. It's more like head nodding music and more cerebral than dance music. It's smashing drums basically. I saw DJ Shadow at the Paradiso in Amsterdam, where I was at SAE learning to produce. And, I am a drummer, in those styles funk, jazz, afrobeat, rock. That part is the easy part of the endeavor, I come from a musical family, studied in college, and gig as a drummer.

Dj shadow is great as well as RJD2 but that is not club music. I don't know where to perform that music locally yet.

I don't think that my music is really club music either. At the same time in Europe, I met all these underground dance producers. Trance, gabber, drum and bass music. It was from raves and squat parties. The music that I have about ready for release is some hybrid of that type of music and it is 4 on the floor and transitions. It is more conservative and should work ok around here I think. Dancy.

Regards
you need to sell you the artist
the music is your secret edge that makes you unique
so they have to hire you and not somebody else

and until you become famous
it will be hard to sell music to anyone else
even at low prices

your best bet to do what you want to do
is to focus on commercials and movies
but then you have to be able to CUSTOM design
the music to fit

so do your thing
be an artist
get filthy rich if you have the luck to get famous
and find a good promoter

helps a lot if you
win idol or talent
go viral on utoob

make a lot of money
learn to compose fast
and work your way into the commercial market

make a little money
sell your unique music to libraries
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear interested

The main downsides to releasing your own music are the lack of advertising budget, but publishing is an extremely competitive business.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

The job done by you should be perfect. Means i know that music publishing is not an easy job , but make it in a way that everyone listen to it will become a fan of your music , There are lots of small point which must be consider during music creation and publishing, and in case of earning money from your own music , if your music have some spark then it really works .
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search