Login / Register

Do artists get paid for samples?
Subscribe
foamboy
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Do artists get paid for samples?

I was discussing music/technology with my wife and the subject of using samples as loops from other famous and popular songs arose and she asked if artists get paid for those loops. To be honset I just have always assumed that they did,but after further consideration, I have to admit that I don't know the answer.

So,could/would somebody post links to some articles that discuss this issue at greater length,or perhaps if you know,you could just explain what you do know...... make sense?

Thanks. I am just curious.

foamboy

My signature is courtesy of theblue1.
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Guru

You would seek sample clearance.
You are effectively sampling a composition and a recording.
Your fee to use the sample might go to a band, but just as likely go to the main writer (member of the band), plus whoever paid for the recording, often a record company, may get a slice.

Any musicians working on a freelance basis (paid with a session fee) are unlikely to see any money.

My drumming has been sampled several times, but as I was just on the session I've received no money. The likelihood is that the artist i was working for saw the fee.
16th March 2010
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

only the writer/publisher/label see any money from sample clearance fees. If the artist is not either of them, they won't see a penny. If you replay the sample, only the writer/publisher fee is necessary.
17th March 2010
Old 17th March 2010

You must make two clearances - the publishing side and the master use sample side. Both sides earn from this not just the writing side. If you replay the sample - only the writing side gets money, as mentioned above. But if the actually recording is used - as is often the case- then the recording side gets paid too..... all counts as recorded earning from a piece.
19th April 2010
Old 19th April 2010
Gear Head

20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010

...one more addition. As it's a clearance for derivative work then he publisher/writer may INSIST upon original recording use under MFN. Not always - but it happens here quite a bit!
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search