Subscribe
Pana
7th September 2009
Old 7th September 2009
Gear Head

Reverbnation or TuneCore

So check this is out...

Reverbnation or tuncore or both

I was going to register my music with tunecore (main reason being amazon will sell physical copies of ones CDs) but use reverbnation as a promotional tool. Widgets, email list, etc. All links can be put on reverbnation as well...even sync up with twitter, myspace, and facebook.

the only issue i was running into was the store of reverbnation its self. tunecore doesn't offer a play list to put on webpages (example:put the music up for sale on face book with the ability to listen to it), but reverbnation does.

i dont know. the only reason why i am leaning towards tunecore is because of the CDs on amazon, but then again everything is going digital...what do yall think?
20th September 2009
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

When promoting leave nothing spared. If you want widgets bells whistles, get them. However so many people do this (over do it) that it's lost some strength.
Amazon is a good move, and I think they do mp3 also.

Email list can be provided free by fanbridge. com, but as fir shyncronized changes to multiple pages (facebook, myspace, Twitter) Im not sure if they do that.

I believe that email is the best tool compared to random widgets and playlists. I have a producer who emails snips of his work once a month and he writes a small blog on it once a month. I pay attention when he sends it out. But artist 541279 has a dozen widgets and playlists I never/ rarely listen to.

The Mass Advertizing/ Promotion from everyone calls for an even more focused and personal approach to buyers & fans.

"who's talking to me" ? ? ? ? ? Rather than 100 email blasts and widgets about nothing.

Use them, of course, but try more dedicated ways of touching fans.

Id bet that if you went with 1000 widgets and twitters vs actual emails you'd come out better with email.

If you can afford it then use both. TuneCore & Reverb

www.i80media.com
I-80 Media Group via YouTube
2nd October 2009
Old 2nd October 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by drethe5th View Post
When promoting leave nothing spared. If you want widgets bells whistles, get them. However so many people do this (over do it) that it's lost some strength.
Amazon is a good move, and I think they do mp3 also.

Email list can be provided free by fanbridge. com, but as fir shyncronized changes to multiple pages (facebook, myspace, Twitter) Im not sure if they do that.

I believe that email is the best tool compared to random widgets and playlists. I have a producer who emails snips of his work once a month and he writes a small blog on it once a month. I pay attention when he sends it out. But artist 541279 has a dozen widgets and playlists I never/ rarely listen to.

The Mass Advertizing/ Promotion from everyone calls for an even more focused and personal approach to buyers & fans.
Talk about insight.... lol....that's some pretty good advice man...I'm still widget blasting myself unfortunatly haha...from what I heard reverbnation is pretty nice and a good choice though...
2nd October 2009
Old 2nd October 2009
Lives for gear

2nd October 2009
Old 2nd October 2009
Lives for gear

Reverbnation cannot be beat in terms of features and functionality. They have some amazing features. Very top quality site. I use it and am distributing my album via RN.
3rd October 2009
Old 3rd October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNa View Post
So check this is out...

Reverbnation or tuncore or both

I was going to register my music with tunecore (main reason being amazon will sell physical copies of ones CDs) but use reverbnation as a promotional tool. Widgets, email list, etc. All links can be put on reverbnation as well...even sync up with twitter, myspace, and facebook.

the only issue i was running into was the store of reverbnation its self. tunecore doesn't offer a play list to put on webpages (example:put the music up for sale on face book with the ability to listen to it), but reverbnation does.

i dont know. the only reason why i am leaning towards tunecore is because of the CDs on amazon, but then again everything is going digital...what do yall think?
You might want to look at Amazon, itself, as well. If your requirement is for CDs on demand (and who sells many CDs anymore?), their CreateSpace program looks pretty OK. And you can sell downloads through them, as well. No start up costs, either.

Take a look at the different plans that RN and Tunecore have for online sales. RN puts you on more stores for a smaller start up price -- but the charges are yearly. TC has a larger up front (depending on the number of stores you want on and the number of songs you have on your album) but then fairly low annual maintenance.

I've also been intrigued by this HotRhythms (not a great name, hoo boy). It certainly looks too good to be true... and I've been around the music biz long enough for that to give me pause. Still, it looks pretty enticing.

BTW, I'm seeing a real uptick in the number of micro-indie oriented online music distributors. I saw two new ones just today. (One was the aforementioned HotRhythms.) Maybe it's just because I've been branching out into a more active participation in the web content management system field, and so, see it all around me, but I suspect that the complex site-building capabilities delivered by the increasing use of CMS systems may create a mini-boom/bust of OMDs. In short: not all will survive. Be aware that a shakeout will come.
DCW
3rd October 2009
Old 3rd October 2009
DCW
Gear maniac

With both Tunecore and Reverbnation it takes a *minimum* of 45 days to get your sales money through. And the wait can be a *lot* longer. That's a long time to be waiting to get hold of *your* money, which meantime is earning interest for someone (not you). That's one drawback of this sort of model -- a drawback not shared by HotRhythms (sales money is availabe pretty much straight away) -- but then HotRhythms simply hasn't got the market profile that the big distribution stores have. But if/when it does ....
DCW
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
DCW
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

I've also been intrigued by this HotRhythms (not a great name, hoo boy). It certainly looks too good to be true... and I've been around the music biz long enough for that to give me pause. Still, it looks pretty enticing.
I agree, in the sense that it's got great potential. However, as it stands (completley unknown to the general public) it hardly offers any advantage to selling music directly from your own website, which isn't difficult to set up.

But if a site like HotRhythms becomes as well know as iTunes, then woopeee.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search