Jack White-Downloading had Cheapened Music
Old 1st April 2012
  #1051
Gear Guru
 
joelpatterson's Avatar
 

I did clean out all the shampoos/conditioners from the shower... I mean... I paid for them... didn't I?
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1052
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
You still didn't answer the question.
Why is a question about a never going to happen hypothetical so important to you?
Probably because when you argue about real events your message fails.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1053
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Why is a question about a never going to happen hypothetical so important to you?
Probably because when you argue about real events your message fails.
Your answering the question is not important. Forget it. What is my message, some sort of straw man that you make up? So far everything you have said fails. The only thing that doesn't is the only thing you should bother to say which I stated above. Everything else fails.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1054
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 

Give it up Mark.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1055
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
Yeah, but I bet you could watch television while you pretended to walk on those 2 thousand dollar machines, whereas if you took a walk outside you'd have to look at the world.
Are you kidding? Nobody looks at the world anymore!
Even people standing in a group don't even look at eachother... they're too busy fingering their phone device..
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1056
Gear maniac
 
Herp Derp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Are you kidding? Nobody looks at the world anymore!
Even people standing in a group don't even look at eachother... they're too busy fingering their phone device..
No kidding. Kids eat dinner in front of their computers, not at the dinner table anymore.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1057
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Give it up Mark.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1058
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Are you kidding? Nobody looks at the world anymore!
Even people standing in a group don't even look at eachother... they're too busy fingering their phone device..
And nobody has a real conversation anymore with any sort of nuance. They post on forums all day where the forum owner collects ad revenue and sales reps market and sell products.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1059
Pragmatic Snob
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
For example, the poster (UBK) who seemed to think paying for goods and services was an unnatural state of affairs that could be under threat, also doesn't offer any free products with no strings attached.

Not yet; meanwhile many of my competitors do, and to very good effect.

Note also that your example of Logic used to come in a big box, cost $1000 for one license, and if you wanted instruments you had to pay for each of them. Now it costs $199 for as many computers as your iTunes account links to and comes with every instrument and plugin under the sun. That's not because of Moore's law, that's because of the Reapers and Audacities of the world nipping at its ass. Meanwhile the free and cheap stuff keeps getting better, which is why most stuff on youtube was done on iMovie and its ilk rather than the likes of Final Cut.

My last thought in this discussion is to consider who we're talking about. People my age? No problem, we're conditioned to think a certain way. 12 year olds? Show me one who's ever paid for music or software of any type, it's alien to them. As soon as this becomes possible for anything else, they won't hesitate.

I'm in no way saying that paying is going away and being replaced by free. What I am saying is that, increasingly, free is a larger and more critical part of the conversation around goods and services.


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1060
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 

Old 2nd April 2012
  #1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
yeah... chezballs didn't work out so well either... tick, tick, tick...
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
no strawman, just facts. sorry.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1063
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
yeah... chezballs didn't work out so well either... tick, tick, tick...
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1064
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
no strawman, just facts. sorry.
Facts? You make less sense than "chrisoo".
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1065
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

I'm in no way saying that paying is going away and being replaced by free. What I am saying is that, increasingly, free is a larger and more critical part of the conversation around goods and services.
You would think musicians of all people could relate.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/sloan-sch...akhaniwolf.pdf
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.
of course not...
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1067
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1068
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
of course not...
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1069
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
Your posts continue to make zero sense. Did you even read that paper?

Quote:
tell me again exactly how musicians are empowered by having their stolen by greedy hypocritical tech corporations who profit from that theft?
Tell you again? That's twice you've done that straw man move.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1070
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

What? A musician complaining about the internet? This is news to me.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
Your posts continue to make zero sense. Did you even read that paper?
It's Called "Why Hackers Do What They Do: Understanding Motivation and Effort in Free/Open Source Software Projects"

people VOLUNTEER to do all kinds of things that they feel are worthwhile, there are tons of non-profit groups, Open Source is another manifestation of that Human Desire to contribute, but it does not in any way replace for profit businesses nor should it. So, so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
Tell you again? That's twice you've done that straw man move.
and twice you've refused to answer a direct question.

so yes, explain to me again exactly how musicians are empowered by having their work stolen by greedy hypocritical tech corporations who profit from that theft? go ahead. it shouldn't be that hard if you have an answer.

artists rights is what the conversation is about, so that artists rights are protected and they are compensated for their labor. I'm not sure what other point you are trying to make, but this is a conversation about artists rights for the protection of their work.

why would you not be in favor of protecting artists rights?
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1073
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post

artists rights is what the conversation is about
No it isn't.
Old 2nd April 2012
  #1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
No it isn't.
it sure is, as per the OP nothing has cheapened music more than tech companies stealing artists work without consent or compensation and giving it away for free, and/or profiting from it via advertising revenue using the music as a loss leader.

I don't know why you would support tech companies and pirates ripping off artists and profiting from artists work illegally over supporting artists rights. could you explain that please?
Old 3rd April 2012
  #1075
Lives for gear
 

Old 3rd April 2012
  #1076
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 

Parts two and three are up, supposed to follow on by link.
Old 3rd April 2012
  #1077
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Parts two and three are up, supposed to follow on by link.
All 3 links at the bottom of the article are 404 (page not found).
Old 3rd April 2012
  #1078
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 

I'm now guessing they might have only wanted to publish part one today. Second two parts to follow later.
I'm not sure.
Old 3rd April 2012
  #1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
That's not what Slash is saying. And millions pay for it everyday, so therefore music must still be magical. The idea, though, that music needs money or liner notes or an album cover to be magical is ridiculous.
magical or not (which is subjective), music should be paid for when consumed and artists rights should be valued instead of allowing tech companies to profit by ripping off artists without consent or compensation.

it's just really that simple. if we don't want music cheapened, don't allow artists labor to be cheapened...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
DrShann / So much gear, so little time!
32
zboy2854 / So much gear, so little time!
59
heyman / The Good News Channel
0
Silver Sonya / So much gear, so little time!
21
mahler007 / So much gear, so little time!
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.