Jack White-Downloading had Cheapened Music
Old 1st April 2012
Gear Guru

I did clean out all the shampoos/conditioners from the shower... I mean... I paid for them... didn't I?
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurk View Post
You still didn't answer the question.
Why is a question about a never going to happen hypothetical so important to you?
Probably because when you argue about real events your message fails.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Why is a question about a never going to happen hypothetical so important to you?
Probably because when you argue about real events your message fails.
Your answering the question is not important. Forget it. What is my message, some sort of straw man that you make up? So far everything you have said fails. The only thing that doesn't is the only thing you should bother to say which I stated above. Everything else fails.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Guru

Give it up Mark.
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, but I bet you could watch television while you pretended to walk on those 2 thousand dollar machines, whereas if you took a walk outside you'd have to look at the world.
Are you kidding? Nobody looks at the world anymore!
Even people standing in a group don't even look at eachother... they're too busy fingering their phone device..
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Even people standing in a group don't even look at eachother... they're too busy fingering their phone device..
No kidding. Kids eat dinner in front of their computers, not at the dinner table anymore.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Give it up Mark.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
And nobody has a real conversation anymore with any sort of nuance. They post on forums all day where the forum owner collects ad revenue and sales reps market and sell products.
Old 2nd April 2012
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
For example, the poster (UBK) who seemed to think paying for goods and services was an unnatural state of affairs that could be under threat, also doesn't offer any free products with no strings attached.

Not yet; meanwhile many of my competitors do, and to very good effect.

Note also that your example of Logic used to come in a big box, cost $1000 for one license, and if you wanted instruments you had to pay for each of them. Now it costs $199 for as many computers as your iTunes account links to and comes with every instrument and plugin under the sun. That's not because of Moore's law, that's because of the Reapers and Audacities of the world nipping at its ass. Meanwhile the free and cheap stuff keeps getting better, which is why most stuff on youtube was done on iMovie and its ilk rather than the likes of Final Cut.

My last thought in this discussion is to consider who we're talking about. People my age? No problem, we're conditioned to think a certain way. 12 year olds? Show me one who's ever paid for music or software of any type, it's alien to them. As soon as this becomes possible for anything else, they won't hesitate.

I'm in no way saying that paying is going away and being replaced by free. What I am saying is that, increasingly, free is a larger and more critical part of the conversation around goods and services.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear Guru

Old 2nd April 2012
Quote:
yeah... chezballs didn't work out so well either... tick, tick, tick...
Old 2nd April 2012
Quote:
no strawman, just facts. sorry.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
yeah... chezballs didn't work out so well either... tick, tick, tick...
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
no strawman, just facts. sorry.
Facts? You make less sense than "chrisoo".
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

I'm in no way saying that paying is going away and being replaced by free. What I am saying is that, increasingly, free is a larger and more critical part of the conversation around goods and services.
You would think musicians of all people could relate.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/sloan-sch...akhaniwolf.pdf
Old 2nd April 2012
Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about.
of course not...
Old 2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
of course not...
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Your posts continue to make zero sense. Did you even read that paper?

Quote:
tell me again exactly how musicians are empowered by having their stolen by greedy hypocritical tech corporations who profit from that theft?
Tell you again? That's twice you've done that straw man move.
Old 2nd April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

What? A musician complaining about the internet? This is news to me.
Old 2nd April 2012
Quote:
Your posts continue to make zero sense. Did you even read that paper?
It's Called "Why Hackers Do What They Do: Understanding Motivation and Effort in Free/Open Source Software Projects"

people VOLUNTEER to do all kinds of things that they feel are worthwhile, there are tons of non-profit groups, Open Source is another manifestation of that Human Desire to contribute, but it does not in any way replace for profit businesses nor should it. So, so what?

Quote:
Tell you again? That's twice you've done that straw man move.
and twice you've refused to answer a direct question.

so yes, explain to me again exactly how musicians are empowered by having their work stolen by greedy hypocritical tech corporations who profit from that theft? go ahead. it shouldn't be that hard if you have an answer.

artists rights is what the conversation is about, so that artists rights are protected and they are compensated for their labor. I'm not sure what other point you are trying to make, but this is a conversation about artists rights for the protection of their work.

why would you not be in favor of protecting artists rights?
Old 2nd April 2012
Quote:
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

artists rights is what the conversation is about
No it isn't.
Old 2nd April 2012
Quote:
No it isn't.
it sure is, as per the OP nothing has cheapened music more than tech companies stealing artists work without consent or compensation and giving it away for free, and/or profiting from it via advertising revenue using the music as a loss leader.

I don't know why you would support tech companies and pirates ripping off artists and profiting from artists work illegally over supporting artists rights. could you explain that please?
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Old 3rd April 2012
Gear Guru

Parts two and three are up, supposed to follow on by link.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Parts two and three are up, supposed to follow on by link.
All 3 links at the bottom of the article are 404 (page not found).
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear Guru

I'm now guessing they might have only wanted to publish part one today. Second two parts to follow later.
I'm not sure.
Old 3rd April 2012
Quote:
That's not what Slash is saying. And millions pay for it everyday, so therefore music must still be magical. The idea, though, that music needs money or liner notes or an album cover to be magical is ridiculous.
magical or not (which is subjective), music should be paid for when consumed and artists rights should be valued instead of allowing tech companies to profit by ripping off artists without consent or compensation.

it's just really that simple. if we don't want music cheapened, don't allow artists labor to be cheapened...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search