Login / Register

David Lowery: Silicon Valley must be stopped, or creativity will be destroyed - Sal
New Reply
Subscribe
GearAndGuitars
5th December 2013
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

David Lowery: Silicon Valley must be stopped, or creativity will be destroyed - Sal

Quote:
David Lowery: Silicon Valley must be stopped, or creativity will be destroyed - Salon

Silicon Valley's making money off the work of others. David Lowery is on a crusade for copyright, fairness and art

People sometimes use the Industrial Revolution metaphor. They talk about how factories replaced the artisan and the farmer, and it took decades for things like child labor, dangerous working conditions, and pollution and all the stuff that industry brought to Britain and the U.S. to be eradicated, or made humane and sustainable.

But whenever anybody — I mean, you’ve just brought up David Allen, and we’ve just posted this idea on my Trichordist blog that we should have an ethical, fair-trade Internet, but you’ve got people like David Allen saying you can’t have that. That would be like in the Industrial Revolution saying, “You can’t have a non-polluting factory; you can’t have a factory that doesn’t have child labor; you can’t have a factory that’s safe to work in.” Of course you can!

We’re the ****ing masters of our own destiny, we pass the laws for this country, we create this country, we decide what kind of a society we’re going to have — not the Internet. And, besides, the Internet is coded by humans. We can make the Internet do what it needs to do. I’m a technologist. I program computers. This is what I did before I played in bands.

There is nothing deterministic about the Internet. Basically, what these people are saying is that this is the first technology whereby we must change our principles to match the technology — that’s what these people are saying. Do you want to live in a world like that, with these people running it?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Article Tools
Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search