Subscribe
simonv
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to simonv
Back from the Vet with a leash but no more dog

I had my dog killed today.
Oh boy I didn't even think it'd hurt that much.

He was 14, had trouble climbing stairs, was completely deaf, almost blind, and had to eat soft food because of rotten teeth. Yet he was truely and honestly the living creature that I loved the most on earth after my immediate family.

Too bad they don't live 80 years.

All you guys with a dog laying around, take a second for me to look at it in the eye and take it in while it lasts.

9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Gear Guru

I feel you. My dog was 16 when I had to put him down. He had all those problems, and quite a few more. He was such a fighter, he should have died many times but kept hanging on. I realized when I saw him there that he looked at peace for first time in years.

sometimes, its the best thing you can do for them
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

My heart goes out to you, I get upset just thinking about this... but i am sure it was for the best, and I am sure his years on earth were very happy with you!

It's probably going to hit you even harder today.. that's ok, it is very natural to greve the loss of a loved one... have a good cry, phone a friend and chat about it. Give yourself a few weeks, maybe in a month or two there is a puppy looking for a good home to go to...
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Simonv,
biggest fear in my life (aside from harm to my wife of course) is having to go through the day you just did. all the best to you.
drew
simonv
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to simonv
Thanks for your support, this morning it's really appreciated.
It's so hard! The house is empty...

I have hundreds of pictures, but the smell and the feel are lost for good, I'll miss him very very much.
Anyway, here are a couple pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Back from the Vet with a leash but no more dog-04.jpg   Back from the Vet with a leash but no more dog-06.jpg   Back from the Vet with a leash but no more dog-01.jpg  
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Gear interested

My sympathies

Just give it some time, bub. I know exactly what you're going through.
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Unhappy

I went through the same thing a little over a year ago and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Time does help, but a day doesn't go by that I dont think of her.... There's a bunch of us here that feel for what youre going through.
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've got two dogs, and one of them is on his way out. I don't see him living past February if we take him to the vet every day. His skull is literally caving in from the top, he has several cysts on his head, and we have reason to believe he can't see a fukin thing. He's only 10. I'm gonna miss the shit out of him and don't want to even deal with taking him to get put down so I just chill on the couch with him 7 days a week and watch classic boxing and college football games.
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Gear maniac

It's so hard! I've been through this twice now. So sorry for your loss. I know it sounds funny, but the best thing to do is get another one ASAP! It doesn't diminish you love for the one you lost, on the contrary. There are alot of dogs out there that need a loving home. This is something you can obviously provide, so go for it. It fills that big hole you feel with something really great. I only get adult dogs now from shelters (not pet shops ), but that's not so important as filling the hole with a new loving mut!

Best of luck,

FB
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
500 series nutjob

Send a message via Skype™ to pan60
very sorry to here!
i recently lost one of my dog's and it has been very painful.
she is very much missed.
my condolences.

Pan60 Facebook Page

Pan's Facebook
BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA

it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to Brady@328 Send a message via Yahoo to Brady@328
what a beautiful spaniel. my sincere condolensces to your loss... he'll live on in spirit forever.
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Beautiful dog, I'm very sorry for your loss, I know your pain we had to put our buddy Merlin down at 15, he had a brain tumor. When ever I even think him or my cat Joe
who also passed away at 18 I get choked up. My heart goes out to you
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Gear addict

And so what does one say to this? I'm sorry for you. I really am. Looking at photographs makes you realize how the years just slipped by. I've been in your shoes, and it really is tough. But you did the right thing.

After some time the wound will heal and the great memories will come to the front.

Hang in there.

-Rich
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

beautiful dog indeed.

the love from a pet is like none other... so loyal and true.

sorry for your lost.

Jason
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to xmostynx
sorry man..i lost my dog i had since i was seven a year ago.

it was a brittany spaniel, she would be 15 this year...i grew up with that pup..

things get better..sorry for your loss.
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

If there are sacred things in life, unconditional love is one of them.

Dogs who are loved give back the same and more without question, hesitation or lack of trust (cats? not so much!). Of all the things I miss about my dog Maximillian, the unconditional love and his place as a family member are the most poignant.

When I lost Max on February 12th 2005, it really tore me apart for awhile, but I eventually felt better. Even at the age of 15, he was completely aware and healthy except for his back legs and hips, which had been causing him a great deal of suffering for far too long. Infact, this is the first time I've been able to discuss it publicly because I was too broken up.

My sincere condolences, simonv.
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Runs with scissors

Send a message via Skype™ to tnjazz
Sincerest condolences from our household to yours, simonv.

We went through this exactly 2 weeks ago with our little man. He only had 12 good years, and we still miss him every single day. We actually got his ashes back in a little wood box this morning from our vet. I'm looking at it on the table right now as I type.

Two weeks ago I was miserable and felt horrible - never have felt so bad other than when my dad passed. Now it's two weeks later and the sadness is still there, but some of the sorrow has lifted. I remember all the good things and the good times, and it brings a smile to my face.

You will smile again too. Just keep his loving memory very close to your heart. Remember: all dogs go to heaven.

Good luck,
Dirk
10th December 2006
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

Dogs rock.

I think we need a dogs section here at gearslutz so we can talk about them, the only time it really comes up here is when something sad happens. We need dogslutz!

I haven't had a dog myself, but my parents always had a dog since I was small. I remember when one of our dogs passed away, it was just the most painful thing for my family and me... you know when your mum starts crying, then your sister, then you, then your dad.

But dogs are still great beings! Mans best friend.
10th December 2006
Old 10th December 2006
Gear maniac

This is my first post, I usually just lurk and read the threads. I am sorry for your what you had to go through. I had a dog that would have seizures and he died in my arms during one. It was hard to get over, but I have a new dog now and he is great. I hope that you will give another dog a shot at a great life with you.

Be well....
10th December 2006
Old 10th December 2006
Gear addict

My Studio

Very sorry to hear about your loss, simonv.

I am so NOT looking forward to dealing with the end of my dog's life... but we do have a ways to go (she's a 6 month old boxer). I never understood how dog owners could take their dog's death so hard... as a first time dog owner, I finally get it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1474821/TLL%20approved%20art/TLL-facebook-coverphoto_850px.jpg

"After silence that which expresses the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
10th December 2006
Old 10th December 2006
Gear addict

When I first checked the thread yesterday I was so choked up I couldn't really add anything. Terrible news simonv. I'm sure there are a lot of people on Gearslutz who will have read about your dog and who simply couldn't comment, even though they feel it.

With me, it's my cats - they are as big a part of the family as me and my wife. It's just the same with dogs, cats, rabbits, it doesn't matter - they've all got a way of becoming more than just pets. And we love them all to pieces.

When my cats die, a large part of me will die. They are central to my life and I don't care how much acoustic foam they rip to shreds.

Simonv, it's pretty obvious that you gave your dog the best life he could have had. He was loved and cared for, which is the absolute best thing you can do. The highest order.

(Just an aside - my wife and I went out for groceries today and while we were buying food for our pets, we bought some extra food for the local rescue shelter cats and dogs. We do this quite a bit, they have collection bins near the checkouts. If your local spots have something similar and you end up reading this thread, consider donating some food for some animals that don't have homes or enough food. The shelters are invariably run by volunteers who do what they do for free.)

I wish there were more people out there like simonv and others who have posted experiences here, who give so much love to their pets. I have a lot of respect for you all.
10th December 2006
Old 10th December 2006
Gear addict

Simon: For 37 years, I taught in public schools and private/state universities. I taught courses in the Sociology of Music, Music Theory and Composition, and practica in Sound Recording Technology. At the end of the last school year, I retired. Not being independently wealthy, I needed to find a job beyond my small recording studio... I have loved animals and have dealt actively with them for a number of years. I was fortunate in that I was offered a job at the clinic of my vet of many years. I spend my mornings now, with animals and their owners. I work in nutritional inventory, pre-op, post-op/recovery, and as a animal care-taker and handler. I am privileged to see and understand for the first time, the intracies of professional animal care. There are many happy and hear-warming situations there, all the time. The reverse is also true. And the change can happen in an instant. Never think that vet doctors and nurses are somehow innoculated against the feeling of true sadness and hurt. They are not.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I experienced one personally in the last few weeks. These creatures give us so much. And their loss hurts - a lot. Gear is just stuff. These creatures are much, much more...

Best to you. My family and our 8 cats salute you all.
Byll
10th December 2006
Old 10th December 2006
Lives for gear

My Studio

Hang in there man.

November 13th, my wife and I just went through that with our 8 year old Catahoula who got bone cancer. He lasted 6 weeks passed diagnosis. We are devostated. Last weekend we got a 6 month old Catahoula pup. She's not the dog our last one was, but she may be in time. We believe, you loose one, get a replacement right away. It doesn't take away the pain, but it helps take your mind off of it.

Good luck.
Jax
10th December 2006
Old 10th December 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
I think we need a dogs section here at gearslutz so we can talk about them, the only time it really comes up here is when something sad happens. We need dogslutz!
Here's the closest thing we have to a forum for our pets:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...light=Gearpets

Anyone, feel free to add your pet and bump it. thumbsup
11th December 2006
Old 11th December 2006
Lives for gear

Very cute dog. Now I'm sure your dog is playing with all of our dogs in heaven!

I totally know what you are going through.

I would rather lose a foot than my dog any day.

"Are you following me camera guy?" ~Vince from Sham-WOW

"Infernal Device, enjoy your 121!!!" ~RawBeanZen 1-08-2009 on the "MORE FREE STUFF" thread
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search