...recording "friends"
Old 25th September 2006
Gear nut

...recording "friends"

...ok here is the story...my studio is fairly new...we ve been running for about 6 months now. while the studio was been built some friends approached me to produce their album which supposely was going to be released on a major(although major in greece doesnt really mean much). Now one member of the band has been a friend of mine for many years. this is only important because a lot of the arrangements were happening through her. The aggreement was that we'd do their album and theyll pay after its done. providing that it would be our first release which would be knd of high profile obviously and i didnt want them to look at the clock. so i startes pre production by going to rehearsals and all that. well after about 5 months we had only finished one song...they were saying busy with their everyday jobs...(although 2 of them only work twice a week and the rest have morning jobs). meanwhile they have been going on holidays, booking small gigs and generally compeletely avoid working. When we finished the one song i said to them that i hated the way the songs were coming out because there was no energy to the record...very obvious since everyone would show up for a couple of ours to do a part at a time. so we fel out over that...also theres a label guy whose friends with the band and has been talkng to them about the record...to tthe studio on the other hand has been doing really well...so finally what has happened is they decided to stop recording with me and they start from scratch somewhere else. We have already spoken about payment at this point but they initially offered an insulting amount..im thinking of letting them know of the actual cost and give them a better price but considering there was no contract or prior agreement i do want to get payed for the huge amount of work i put into the project...what do you think?
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

meet in the middle.

You always want to leave the customer (friend, or not) with a positive view of your studio and services. Word spreads like wildfire sometimes, and you may end up reaping MORE benefit from accepting LESS money.

They can vouch for your dedication, and can refer new artists to your studio.

Don't feel bad, it's the nature of business if you don't get paid as much as you want or verbally agreed to. That's why there are lawyers for this stuff.

again, don't feel so bad or be hard ass about it. Meet in the middle (i actually think you should meet slightly closer to THEIR figure) and break from the band without any altercations or hard feelings. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

-nes
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

No good deed goes unpunished.

I'm shocked that it took you 5 months to say something about it. You could invoice them, but they're probably not going to pay you. At least not the full amount. You might want to get a lawyer involved.

In the future, you may want to require a 50% deposit down before recording. You'd be amazed at how this will weed out the serious from the non serious.

-Aaron
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

I agree 100% with Nesneeds... Be a sport about it! I know it sucks but if they want you treat you that way don't bother with them anymore. Don't work for them again but end this deal like a pro.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search