I don't understand
New Reply
Subscribe
claveslave
17th August 2013
Old 17th August 2013
Gear maniac

I don't understand

... but that's just me. I like this place and attempt to help when appropriate but sometimes, people here get a little precious.
17th August 2013
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by claveslave View Post
... but that's just me. I like this place and attempt to help when appropriate but sometimes, people here get a little precious.
thats how it s around these parts....welcome to gearslutz

(Chael) - Michael Thomas Candido-
claveslave
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear maniac

Fair enough. I just don't like misinformation or convoluted information being spread about, particularly when there are younguns keen to learn. Cheers.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Fair enough. I just don't like misinformation or convoluted information being spread about, particularly when there are younguns keen to learn. Cheers.
Most of that misinformation is being spread by the young'uns keen to create the illusion that they know what they are talking about rather than the young'uns keen to learn. Once you've been around a bit you'll get a feel for who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
Most of that misinformation is being spread by the young'uns keen to create the illusion that they know what they are talking about rather than the young'uns keen to learn. Once you've been around a bit you'll get a feel for who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.
Cubase sounds warmer and fatter than Pro Tools.

18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

What I can't understand is someone posting about a situation or problem, giving no information about the gear involved or any other significant info which is necessary to arrive at a solution.

When asked a direct, specific question for critical information, they (eventually) reply with a reiteration of their original post and completely ignore the request for the information that would allow an experienced person to give them the help for which they asked.

Or when given the obvious answer, they cling to the misconception which led to the problem in the first place, hanging on like grim death to the setup which doesn't work instead of applying the solution proposed by responder after responder.

The ultimate kicker is when they come back on after some time to revive the thread and proclaim that they've figured it out on their own by applying the fix which was suggested within the first few responses....

You can't help some people
claveslave
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear maniac

Too good, guys. Forums are somewhat entertaining. Long live Tesla.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
indeed or the ones who never touch the gear but act like they know it or....i could go on Its ok when your young you think you know it all.
I do my part to help and educate anyone who asks.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
I don't understand why people start a thread that isn't about gear, in a forum specifically about gear...and then complain when it gets moved!

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus iTunes #1 Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
the appearance of preciousness is simply caused by the depth to which some of these people are involved with the subject. For people who have lived and breathed audio their whole lives, the differences between two different devices whose only function is to raise a microphone to line level as cleanly and accurately as possible (preamps) is "like night and day".

for someone else, these exact same distinctions may be considered "precious"

Quote:
well put

the problem with all forums and the internet in general, that echo-chamber effect. I try to be 'part of the solution' by confining my 'reviews' to gear I actually have used or heard in person! Be suspicious of universal agreement!

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:

word.

18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

The difference between "night" and "day" really just comes down to lighting-- which is not a whole great big deal, when & if you think about it...

mountaintop@taconic.net

www.joelpatterson.us
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
Quote:
I hope everyone knows that I'm well-meaning, but full of sh*t.

Psycho-Monkey, that's a thankless job. I think part of it we used to let the moan zone be pretty gear-free and it'd get real political and we had the politics sub forum then shut it down. I can't speak to a lot of other members, but this is the only forum I participate in (gearslutz, not just the moan zone) so I tend to get non-gear related somewhat easily. Even then, I try to be at least tangentially gear-related.

We do lose our perspective as a group and start seeing trees rather than the forest but that's to be expected if you're way into comparing things. 90% of my studio is low end because that's how I can afford to do this the way I like to work. I tend to buy one thing and not have a lot of comparison pieces around. I'm amazed at guys who have experience with a wide variety of preamps not because I think their hearing is better, but because they have that level of access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont have a playstation so I have to book a big room to get my Metal Gear fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
the secretary at our studio calls Gearslutz

"That stupid website your always on..you know, the one with the bird on the skateboard"
It took 6 years but I think I found my avatar in action: http://imgur.com/gallery/2cNN5
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
The difference between "night" and "day" really just comes down to lighting-- which is not a whole great big deal, when & if you think about it...
Your learning curve seemed steep in the short-term, but it saved me from being scammed into buying a black light. What kind of oxymoron is a black light?

Wait, maybe I need a black eye to see it?
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear maniac

You're an interesting character psycho. I have a funny feeling I actually know you. Punt high and follow through. Thanks for the move rather than delete.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
You're an interesting character psycho. I have a funny feeling I actually know you. Punt high and follow through. Thanks for the move rather than delete.
Ha! Maybe...I'm not exactly anonymous (but I'm no-one important either).

Moving threads is all fine...I wasn't having a dig at you for moaning btw, just at people who do complain when things are moved to a more appropriate place!
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I sat on the beach at sunrise and the difference between 6:00 AM and 6:01 AM was like night and day.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Ha! Maybe...I'm not exactly anonymous (but I'm no-one important either.
And the Begging Bowl has gone as well!
Nice one Monkey!
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

I don't understand either, but I think it's O.K.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

AND another thing! If you were seventy thousand leagues beneath the sea, the difference between night and day would be... uh, what?

We need a cliche with really extreme differences, like... "as different as sipping pina coladas on a South Sea tropical island and ground zero at Nagasaki," that kind rolls off the tongue, don't it?
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

I'm still trying to process Chicken of The Sea. The land chickens have feathers but the sea variety resembles a metal can
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
What I can't understand is someone posting about a situation or problem, giving no information about the gear involved or any other significant info which is necessary to arrive at a solution.

When asked a direct, specific question for critical information, they (eventually) reply with a reiteration of their original post and completely ignore the request for the information that would allow an experienced person to give them the help for which they asked.

Or when given the obvious answer, they cling to the misconception which led to the problem in the first place, hanging on like grim death to the setup which doesn't work instead of applying the solution proposed by responder after responder.

The ultimate kicker is when they come back on after some time to revive the thread and proclaim that they've figured it out on their own by applying the fix which was suggested within the first few responses....

You can't help some people
I press all buttun and nothing work! When you fix this update? I pay good money for demo version and it does not support SCSI. What kind of rip-off is that?

You ask me what OS and I tell you! I am playing expensive Les Paul through computer. I know what I do.

I don't care if waveform nulls. I listen to loud music my whole life. I can tell difference!

It's ok though. I find workaround. I put WD40 on brake pads and now no more squeak. This free tip for you.

Dave
claveslave
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd View Post
I put WD40 on brake pads and now no more squeak. This free tip for you.
Funniest thing I've read in ages.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funniest thing I've read in ages.
Me too, started off a great day reading that
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
True, but a lot of misinformation is spread by some so called experts too and they get precious when the crap they write is challenged.

There are studio owners (whose only claim to fame is that they had enough money to buy a lot of the gear) handing out 'expert' advise on everything under the sun. but a cursory look would reveal that they were just regurgitating the same shiite that's been bounced around the internet for years...no first hand experience

Go over to the studio build forum and count how many of the guys there are giving out acoustic, architectural, construction and engineering advise like they were experts.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search