everyones a critic.
funkmaster flex
Thread Starter
#1
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
everyones a critic.

it just seems to me that too many people who cant play as well as i or compose to any degree (and im by no means the best in the musical community there are just too many skilled players in our global community to think im anywhere near the best) seem to assume they must know more about what im doing than i do. and what i should do to make it better. and by better they really only mean specifically to their liking. and their liking typically breaks all musical norms im following to begin with not to mention i have a right to have my own style just like everyone else. sometimes i just think they should stick a grape in it and practice more self criticism and strive for personal growth and allow me to do the same. i mean helpful critique can be invaluable, but shouldn't it be requested before its just spewed forth onto someones lap? i mean maybe i do just need thicker skin but what do you think would it be better if i just smiled and maybe exchanged some words or flat out ask him or her in turn "well, where are your credentials and who asked you?"
#2
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 

Lightbulb

.

Ignorance is the new expertise.

With the current social media reality, this is what happens when everyone has a voice.

This is one reason reality TV shows are so popular - people love to watch and hear idiots.

After all, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

.
Quote
1
funkmaster flex
Thread Starter
#3
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
  #3
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
thats a real fine quote. im glad they have all kinds of opinions, just wish theyd wait until one asks for them though. this is about real life btw nothing to do here as i am new. still its kind of confusing how to deal with these people without trashing their opinion just letting them know its not right just because its theirs... anyway thanks for validating my rant, not easy some times with people.
#4
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Here is a critique ,

Lurn 2 grammar and punctuate.
Quote
1
#5
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
  #5
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmaster flex View Post
i mean maybe i do just need thicker skin
There ya go, problem solved.

I understand it's annoying to have someone say "That sucks!" without saying what they didn't like about it, but too often people get upset just because someone else doesn't like their music(or whatever it may be), and say something like "If you can do any better, then show me!!" To me, that shows insecurity, and immaturity.
No one should have to prove they can do better just because they disagree on something. There's lots of music I don't like, but I don't feel that I need to prove I can write something better just because I don't like it.
If you're worried about people giving you their opinions, then don't post any of your music online.
#6
27th June 2013
Old 27th June 2013
  #6
The Audio Whisperer
 
donsolo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
If you're worried about people giving you their opinions, then don't post any of your music online.
Or perform it live or distribute it in any way.

You're also assuming that because they don't have the same education as you, that they don't have insights so you may be rejecting criticism because you don't view it as coming from a 'legitimate' source.

Comments like "this sucks" should just be ignored because they provide no insight on how to improve it but when someone actually has a suggestion, you shouldn't reject it because you perceive them as not having the knowledge that you have. Many great artists had no formal education and can't read/write music.

As soon as you present your art to anyone, you're not making music for yourself, you're making it for others. You can't go all Kenny G but you do need to at least acknowledge your audience.
#7
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 

Opinions are like a$$holes -
Everybody has one, and they all stink.
Quote
1
#8
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreen View Post
Here is a critique ,

Lurn 2 grammar and punctuate.
.



.
#9
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmaster flex View Post
thats a real fine quote. im glad they have all kinds of opinions, just wish theyd wait until one asks for them though. this is about real life btw nothing to do here as i am new. still its kind of confusing how to deal with these people without trashing their opinion just letting them know its not right just because its theirs... anyway thanks for validating my rant, not easy some times with people.
.

Agreed.

You gotta go through life and get beat up a bit - we all do.

Then, hopefully, you develop some thicker skin - or maybe you decide to do something else.

Putting yourself out there is HARD sometimes - even for professionals!

We all deal with this on some level.

Some people never let anything get to them.

I envy those people.

.
Quote
1
#10
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

Agreed.

You gotta go through life and get beat up a bit - we all do.

Then, hopefully, you develop some thicker skin - or maybe you decide to do something else.

Putting yourself out there is HARD sometimes - even for professionals!

We all deal with this on some level.

Some people never let anything get to them.

I envy those people.

.
Today everyone knows everything and they are all "experts" because they can get pre digested information from the WWW. Take a person who seems to know it all and put them in a situation where they do not have access to the WWW and see how long they can keep up the guise of a "know it all". The same thing goes for having any self critique. I work with some classically trained musicians and can do a lot of self critique about their playing and the abilities. I also work with people who cannot hear that they are singing out of tune, that their rhythm is all over the place, that the are playing an untuned guitar and if you say anything to them they say "well that is the way it is SUPPOSE to sound' "it is my music and I can do anything I want to it" So be it. Now try selling your individualized and self indulgent music to others. I get 90 year old grandmothers critiquing my mastering, I get teen age punks critiquing my mastering, I get someone who has been in audio since last Christmas when his parents gave him a usb microphone and now he thinks he is an "audio engineer" and can critique someone who has been in pro audio for 44 years. This is pure BS and it seems to be getting worse.

FWIW and YMMV
Quote
1
#11
28th June 2013
Old 28th June 2013
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Today everyone knows everything and they are all "experts" because they can get pre digested information from the WWW. Take a person who seems to know it all and put them in a situation where they do not have access to the WWW and see how long they can keep up the guise of a "know it all". The same thing goes for having any self critique. I work with some classically trained musicians and can do a lot of self critique about their playing and the abilities. I also work with people who cannot hear that they are singing out of tune, that their rhythm is all over the place, that the are playing an untuned guitar and if you say anything to them they say "well that is the way it is SUPPOSE to sound' "it is my music and I can do anything I want to it" So be it. Now try selling your individualized and self indulgent music to others. I get 90 year old grandmothers critiquing my mastering, I get teen age punks critiquing my mastering, I get someone who has been in audio since last Christmas when his parents gave him a usb microphone and now he thinks he is an "audio engineer" and can critique someone who has been in pro audio for 44 years. This is pure BS and it seems to be getting worse.

FWIW and YMMV
.

Indeed, man. You're preaching to the choir.


Most of my present life is organic farming.

This is simply something you CANNOT DO on the www!!!


And no, Farmville is NOT the same thing.

...Good luck EATING and selling that produce!


Most people are idiots - and basically know nothing.

And yes, we have been almost completely removed from any reality on the planet.


We have no survival skills - only opinions.


.
Quote
1
#12
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
  #12
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
... We have no survival skills - only opinions. .
true and may I add a strong feel of self entitlement for everything all the time (edit) and now!
Quote
1
#13
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalgear View Post
true and may I add a strong feel of self entitlement for everything all the time
.

Word.

.
Quote
1
funkmaster flex
Thread Starter
#14
30th June 2013
Old 30th June 2013
  #14
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
sentinel,
im not saying people have to like it because its structured, im saying people shouldnt claim it sucks (and dismiss all its merit outright or the time i threw at it) based solely on the fact that they dont like it.. i mean if it sucks, it will show.. kind of a hard thing to cover up.

dansolo,
if its sound advice i usually take it despite the source. i mean it could be my worst enemy speaking but if it sounds sage ill take it.

thanks guys lots of good stuff to think about
yeah and the thicker skin thing for sure.
#15
30th June 2013
Old 30th June 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

My biggest critique is the performance, normally.

A lot of young people give it 60%, and the other 40% is insecurity and jitters.

I have witnessed a million songs, and the performance makes it or breaks it, no matter how talented the artist is. You have to command respect when you get the chance, and let the chips fall where they may.

This is not for the OP perhaps, but IMO enough reason for anyone to rehearse extensively. It shows.
Quote
1
#16
30th June 2013
Old 30th June 2013
  #16
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmaster flex View Post
sentinel,
im not saying people have to like it because its structured, im saying people shouldnt claim it sucks (and dismiss all its merit outright or the time i threw at it) based solely on the fact that they dont like it.. i mean if it sucks, it will show.. kind of a hard thing to cover up.
And that isn't what I said either. I agreed that it's annoying when people say that just because they don't like it(which I stated in my post), but I get tired of people who get upset and feel they need to post online about it just because someone else doesn't like their music. If someone says "It's sucks", be an adult and let it go.

When you say something like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmaster flex View Post
and maybe exchanged some words or flat out ask him or her in turn "well, where are your credentials and who asked you?"
...that makes you look like a snob who thinks other people's opinions don't matter, as though you're above them. Everyone will give their opinion. If you can't take it, then maybe being in the entertainment business isn't for you. Not everyone is going to praise you for your work.
#17
30th June 2013
Old 30th June 2013
  #17
You can't take it personally. Take a favorite song from one of your favorite artists and show it to 10 random people-- no doubt at least one of them will say "I'm not into that" or flat out "that sucks!"

It's also completely irrelevant how much time you spend on a song-- if they don't like it, they don't like it. Is it better if they lie and pretend to like it? (plenty of people do that too!)
Quote
1
#18
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
djshire's Avatar
 

F- thread, will not read again
#19
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
  #19
Think what it's like if you actually get some visibility. Then everyone and their brother feels it's within their rights to completely trash you, not just musically but concerning anything they don't like about you in any way.
Quote
1
#20
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Who gives a crap what people think as long as i'm in my big house counting my money watching sales climb i'm good! Family n like one good friend is all you need!
Quote
1
#21
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
  #21
The Audio Whisperer
 
donsolo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Think what it's like if you actually get some visibility. Then everyone and their brother feels it's within their rights to completely trash you, not just musically but concerning anything they don't like about you in any way.
Actually, Jamie Kennedy made a really good documentary about this called "Heckler" Heckler (2007) - IMDb

It's easier to tear someone down rather than build yourself up. I literally had a dude on FB attempt to bully me, it was comical but if I didn't know that he was just an angry, insecure, sad little man, I would have taken it personally.

Telemarketing helped me build thick skin...
Quote
1
#22
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
suedesound's Avatar
 

it's all a balance. you need to be humble and be able to accept criticism, politely blow off the assholes that have nothing worthwhile to say, and know the difference.

weird, i think i just accidentally wrote a different version of the serenity prayer.

i've been playing music for about 21 years, engineering etc. for about 12. there are probably equal amounts of projects i've been involved with that i think aren't great but people love vs. projects i think are amazing that don't get much interest. don't think too much about catering to an audience but at the same time if you want to go somewhere with what you're doing you are somewhat catering to an audience and opinions can be helpful.
Quote
1
funkmaster flex
Thread Starter
#23
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
  #23
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
It's easier to tear someone down rather than build yourself up.
agreed, and thats the first thing people try too.
#24
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
  #24
The Audio Whisperer
 
donsolo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmaster flex View Post
agreed, and thats the first thing people try too.
Because they're not creative enough to come up with their own thing.

When we were doing a web series long ago, someone did a "You suck haha!" comment. We replied about how that wasn't constructive, or informative. Then he went into a long diatribe. So we went and looked at his page, saw he had a bad music video of him miming a Jason Mraz song where he's playing a plunger, real "look at how cool I am despite no musical talent" and then did a parody of the same song making fun of this individual and posted as a video reply. He commented, we commented, it was like a feud, we were having fun, he was typing in all caps. Real "Feed the troll" stuff.

He wanted to go back and forth, so we did. Eventually, we probably escalated too far when we found his FB page and started commenting about where he lives and what college he attends. We stopped pretty quickly after that. In hindsight, we took his internet bullying and escalated to a point of not cool. We realized it and stopped. I hope he forgives me.

...then again, I don't know if I care.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.