New Reply
Subscribe
jwleeman
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to jwleeman
Apple Loops are for kids

Do any of you actually use these Apple Loops in Logic? Which ones? Honestly, they make me feel like I'm 8 years old.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwleeman View Post
Do any of you actually use these Apple Loops in Logic? Which ones? Honestly, they make me feel like I'm 8 years old.
I don't use Apple Loops (I'm a darksider) but, as long as one, in his role as musician/producer, likes the results and can get the flexibility he requires to make the music he wants to make, I don't see any onus.

If you were to hire a great band to back you, could folks reasonably hold that against you? If you can create backtracks that work in your project and don't undercut your efforts, who cares how they were made?

(Now, if using those backtracks makes your project sound ticky-tonk, like an old Casiotone demo, then that is potentially a problem. Although, as we used to say back in the early days of drum machines, if fate gives you a lemon tree, make lemonade. When I was stuck with a fake, artificial drum sound, after struggling for long enough to realize it was never going to sound like a real drummer, I went the other way, embracing the postmodern elements and fakey sound... it was the 90s... hip hop was still kind of vital, trip hop and downtempo were hot. I dug up some of the trashiest, garagey-est sounds and went to town. Still some of my favorite tracks. Even though I'm now leaning a lot more roots/bluegrass. A couple years, I'll probably be on to something else.)

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Taking Down your Network

14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Sometimes I'll throw some in a new project to get ideas. Then record my own variation and make my own loop.
LA610 Solo, Logic Pro 9.1.6 DAW
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

adults are boring ranting beings.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Apperently good enough for "Tricky" Stewart (the main drum loop in Rihanna's "Umbrella"). Having said that, I did uninstall them all. Haven't missed them.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

I don't mind occasional use.. the drums are not to my liking in any of the genres, but there are some good weird loops you can then use logic's superb "create sampler file" from which will basically slice and map them to exs24 like logic's own type of rex file. Then you can have fun to your hearts content.

If i need a good drum loop though i'l turn to brands such as Zero-G or Big Fish.. which have always supplied the goods IMO. (drums are my programming weakness, i actually learn from loops, so they are good for that too)

cheers

Boschen, that's quite a cool track mate! cheers.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Taking Down your Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I don't mind occasional use.. the drums are not to my liking in any of the genres, but there are some good weird loops you can then use logic's superb "create sampler file" from which will basically slice and map them to exs24 like logic's own type of rex file. Then you can have fun to your hearts content.

If i need a good drum loop though i'l turn to brands such as Zero-G or Big Fish.. which have always supplied the goods IMO. (drums are my programming weakness, i actually learn from loops, so they are good for that too)

cheers

Boschen, that's quite a cool track mate! cheers.
Thanks!
I have the luxury of being an amateur.
If I'm not having fun while making or mixing tracks; into the bin they go!
I usually aim only to please myself; thanks again for the compliment!

I'm definitely stealing that 'create sampler file' trick...
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Sometimes to get better takes from singer songwriters when working up a production. If the loop fits the feel of the song they play much better to them instead of a click. Replaced with real drums later on.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Honestly, while many stay on their high horses about using Apple Loops, and other prefabbed loops, there are tons of tv and movie composers getting placements and cashing checks using them as part of their pieces. There have even been a bunch of multi platinum records that used them as well. Indeed those loops are for kids. It helps their parents pay for their mortgages, schooling, cars, and put food on the table for their kids.

Being close minded in a creative industry is never a good thing.
TNM
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
Thanks!
I have the luxury of being an amateur.
If I'm not having fun while making or mixing tracks; into the bin they go!
I usually aim only to please myself; thanks again for the compliment!

I'm definitely stealing that 'create sampler file' trick...
it works so well, so far, i haven't had it slice any loops anything than perfect.. i have done maybe 200 so far over time.. and i have never needed to adjust the slices! ( I am sure there will be one where i will have to eventually, but logic's algorithm is superb for transient detection and slicing)

If you are familiar with REX and reason at all, it pretty much works the same way but with EXS24 as your master. Not quite as elegant as Dr REX but surprisingly can do all the same little tricks (individual slice reverse, pitch, etc)

If you want to work with REX pre sliced loops to begin with, forget logic, believe it or not, it's strength are apple loops, and get Fxpansion Geist. I's crazy good. Listened to a recommendation from someone here and a couple at KVR and i couldn't be happier with it.

Now this isn't just cause i am a logic fan, but honestly logic has the best slicing i have heard other than Reason..(the slicing itself is better than Geist too, and i would use loops not sliced already in logic instead).. the cubase and S1 ones just aren't as good or smooth, especially with big tempo changes.

You'll have a lot of fun with that feature.. it's great!

cheers and enjoy
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear addict

I ate them when I was like 8...?

sorry couldn't resist
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Huge hits have been made using apple loops. Dont make me pull up the examples now....

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013

Indeed they have!! One of the Ting Tings hits used 'em.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwleeman View Post
Honestly, they make me feel like I'm 8 years old.
This is understandable as it takes some maturity to use them and can make your attempts at loops seem juvenile in comparison.

If you want to upload your homemade loops so we can hear them, we can help you troubleshoot their sonic deficiencies to get them up to the production standards of Apple loops.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Sometimes I'll throw some in a new project to get ideas. Then record my own variation and make my own loop.
I think this guy nails it.

Use em for fleshing out ideas, then recreate your own parts if you can. But I've also found really usable percussion that I've ended up keeping.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Huge hits have been made using apple loops. Dont make me pull up the examples now....

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
Usher: Love in this Club

How To Make Love In The Club by Usher - YouTube
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

I use them specially the midi (green) ones. You can change the soft instrument and mess with them :-D
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear interested

Silly Rabbit, Apple loops are for kids!

...maybe not very nutritious, but they often quite tasty.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
I use them specially the midi (green) ones. You can change the soft instrument and mess with them :-D
And that's pretty much *the* incredible thing about Apple Loops.
Not that the included green ones are too much special, let alone "killer" (or whatever, but the amount of options to mess around with them is just great.

Also, unlike other "loop scenarios", Apple Loops can just contain the proper patch information for any plugin.
For instance, I started saving several of my programmed drumbeats (usually made with Battery) as Apple Loops. That just rocks because:
- I can preview them in song tempo AND song sync (so the loop starts with beat "one"). Still something many others don't allow for. Admittedly, the preview quality can be quite lousy at times, because what you're previewing is basically a sliced up audio file (instead of the original sound with the plugin in its full glory), but once you drag the loop into your arrange, it'll be all fine, so you just need to care about whether it'll fit the current songs style and forget about the sound quality.
- The entire channel setting will be remembered. Created a loop with *any* drum instrument, some nasty distortion and what not? No worries, it'll all be there, up for you to tweak. And of course that's as well true for whatever other instruments and further plugins.

Seriously, for me, especially when it comes to MIDI drums, green Apple Loops have changed the way I work with loops more or less fundamentally, simply because I know I can tweak *every* single parameter once the loop finds its way into my arrange.

And seriously #2: I am considering to leave the Apple ship like more or less soon (I just hate Apple as a company, but we should probably not discuss the reasons right here...). And while there's certainly some other things/aspects that might not be exactly ideal when switching platforms, my green Apple Loops will be something I will miss a whole f***ing LOT!

All that aside: As with just about all loop libraries, you can probably forget about 90% of the loops delivered with GB/Logic.
The true fun with Apple Loops starts once you a) use green ones, b) tweak them as you like and c) save your own ones.

- Sascha
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

When you grow bored or just plain hate the Apple audio loops you can always thow them through the, by now vintage, "Devine Machine". :o

Of course there are more current way's to mangle audio - But, I love how that thing mangles audio loops.

Cheers,
Alexa
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex View Post
When you grow bored or just plain hate the Apple audio loops you can always thow them through the, by now vintage, "Devine Machine". :o
Err well...
a) Devine Machine is not officially available anymore.
b) It's Windows only.

So, while it might be a good alternative for *some*, it's defenitely got nothing to do with the OP.

- Sascha
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear addict

rihanna umbrella hit beat, is a apple loop...
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Err well...
a) Devine Machine is not officially available anymore.
b) It's Windows only.

So, while it might be a good alternative for *some*, it's defenitely got nothing to do with the OP.

- Sascha
I suppose that's fair to say to a point -

But, surely it's not much of a challange for one to bounce or convert an Apple Loop to any format one would like - For use with any software plugin or hardware sampler for that matter.

I have done it quite a bit, and I am sure many others have as well - I have a Mac and a PC (specifically a spare PC with a lot of old fun effects such as the Devine Machine) which I happened to be enjoying around the time I replied.

Forgive me for straying a bit in the effort to stay on point to help the OP - I sort of figured that when he through out the fact that he feels like an "8-year old" using Apple's Loops he wasn't exactly in dire need of our help.

Thank you though for pointing out the points in your reply - Where ever would the OP be without your correction?

Cheers,
Alexa
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear addict

Love the loops and all the available options to tweak.

Pick one, changed it to your liking and save it as a new loop with all the elements. I hope LPX will expand its management ever further on that.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex View Post
Forgive me for straying a bit in the effort to stay on point to help the OP - I sort of figured that when he through out the fact that he feels like an "8-year old" using Apple's Loops he wasn't exactly in dire need of our help.
Well, regardless of anything else, the OP asked about the use of Apple Loops inside Logic - hence, any "PC only" solutions are of very little help.

You are of course right - the OP didn't exactly "ask" for help. So, I don't think any answer will make him feel older than 8 years when using Apple Loops...

Quote:
Thank you though for pointing out the points in your reply - Where ever would the OP be without your correction?
Oh yeah - been asking that myself already, too...

- SF
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch View Post
I hope LPX will expand its management ever further on that.
It certainly will. In the year 2525 or so...

- SF
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
It certainly will. In the year 2525 or so...

- SF
Coming from you Sasha I'm not really surprised with that answer...

After all,

Quote:
I just hate Apple as a company
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The vocal bits can be useful - I have strung several different ones together, and with pitching/editing, have formed complete songs for corporate clients that they have been very satisfied with.
www.strandedonaplanet.com
www.facebook.com/strandedonaplanet
www.twitter.com/strandedplanet
http://www.soundcloud.com/strandedonaplanet
Watch our studio bio video here and get to know us a bit - http://youtu.be/3hb_Zi_zry4
See our new video for "The Top Shelf" for GC Pro here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyylfNLrUJ0
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
Well. Can't say much else. As much as I do still like using Logic, as much as I (really!) admire the concept of Apple Loops (there's very little as "integrated" as them), I do indeed hate Apple. And yes, I seriously do. For some good "objective" reasons and for another few subjective ones.
But that still doesn't make me like Apple Loops (and the various options coming along with them) any less. I only hope that someone else will come up with a platform independent format one day.

- SF
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search