Deleted thread about converters?
New Reply
Subscribe
neirbod
12th March 2013
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

Deleted thread about converters?

What happened to the thread that was entitled something like "Want to waste money, upgrade converters"? I know the thread had run its course, and there was a lot of silly back and forth especially toward the end that unfortunately is the fate of many converter comparison threads. However, there was also a lot of good information in there, including the results of a converter shoot out.

Maybe the thread deserved to be locked, but why deleted? Or please someone correct me if I am wrong and I am just not seeing it.
"If you have to flip back and forward, A/Bing to work out the differences, it's not "night and day" - any more than you have to blink many times to work out the difference between dark and light." Psycho_Monkey
12th March 2013
Old 12th March 2013
Gear maniac

Seems like it disappeared... ?

But that b*t**ual nonsense wasn't going the forward direction anyway.
Textbook like example for the way threads in the Moan Zone often seem to end. Someone comes in with a little controversial statement or question,
and many people with nothing to say write many words, claiming they are professional or know many professionals, ... or "you name it".

And don't always "buy" the shit, people wanna sell you.

Are better converters always better? Sure they are, that's why they are called better. Are they necessary? That's something everybody should decide for themselves (but if I can afford it, I would buy a better one). Is the high difference in terms of price justified ? Absolutely not. That's where the industry comes in. Not everybody in the audio industry is so helpful, as the people you see on "Pensado's Place" when it comes to cold cash. And I can't even imagine the bright smile on the face of the people selling you that stuff, when they read threads like this where people who bought their (overpriced) products, also start to defend their marketing scheme.

And please don't feel offended personally, it is not my intention to step on anyones toes. PEACE
neirbod
12th March 2013
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsound View Post
Are better converters always better? Sure they are, that's why they are called better. Are they necessary? That's something everybody should decide for themselves (but if I can afford it, I would buy a better one).
No argument here. I can hear the difference myself much (but not all) of the time. My only points were to help people understand how big a step the upgrade represents (very small compared to the hype they often get around here) and to stress that blind testing is really the only way to be sure what you are hearing. Beyond that, it is up to each person to decide whether better converters are worth the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsound View Post
And please don't feel offended personally, it is not my intention to step on anyones toes. PEACE
Not offended at all.

Still wish they had just locked the thread instead of killing it.
12th March 2013
Old 12th March 2013
Gear maniac

"No argument here. I can hear the difference myself much (but not all) of the time. My only points were to help people understand how big a step the upgrade represents (very small compared to the hype they often get around here) and to stress that blind testing is really the only way to be sure what you are hearing. Beyond that, it is up to each person to decide whether better converters are worth the cost."

You got me a little wrong, that was exactly what I was trying to say.
The industry is charging a lotta extra cash for that comparably small upgrade.
It's simply marketing. If I could sell a mac pro for 30.000 bucks, why should I only charge 3.000 ?
12th March 2013
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

Afaik the OP wrote a PM to the mods requesting to close it (he stated that in one of his last posts on the thread) - didn't knew until now that they also deleted it completely - it was still there about eight hours ago, when I was on my way to the office...
12th March 2013
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

Personally i think the converters to get are the $1000 - $1200 Benchmark - Lavry - Mytek units. Good conversion that's not breaking the bank!
12th March 2013
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

I guess the thread was deleted. Too much truth and useless arguing.

Anyone who wants to spend big bucks on converters go right ahead. If you can make good sounding audio on off-the-shelf products, then keep doing your thing! Either way everybody wins.

Exercise Gear: 400 lbs. of plates, two pairs of dumbbells, Weider 148 bench,
Weider Power Stack, treadmill, Shake Weight, gloves and New Balance running shoes.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Some brand advertiser on the board probably got his ox gored in the thread and complained.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa2 View Post
Some brand advertiser on the board probably got his ox gored in the thread and complained.
No, the OP himself requested to close it. No need to come up with conspiracy theories...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search